Different bottle sizes. Here is a trade secret

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas – words are good but images are GREAT!
loub
An old hand

Re: Different bottle sizes. Here is a trade secret

Post by loub » Tue May 10, 2016 7:23 am

Hi JR Mob called Gameco do bottle testing for 27.50 including a new valve They are in capital citys on the east coast i beleive. :razz:
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Tue May 10, 2016 9:13 am

TramcarTrev wrote:
J.REEVES wrote:I disconnected the bottle for the owner and found that the bottle would have been at least ¾ full (just by feel and the sloshing of the liquid gas) but no gas would come out. Shook and banged the thing but no gas and I could see the outlet valve opening, so much for safety inspections.

:razz:
Indeed, so much for inspections…. Did you try unscrewing the vent to see if any gas escaped? then what do you do…. Dont try taking it back to the place of purchase without a docket either….
Hi TT,
Never really did much investigation as I was at a tennis barbeque and only managed to give the bottle a bit a shake and bang as I was thinking rust or something was blocking the outlet. Some of the guys went off and got another bottle so never got to follow up but it’s hard to understand why the outlet would block as the outlet is at the top of the bottle.

JR

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Tue May 10, 2016 9:21 am

Thanks for the link and info Gerry & Loud,
I have one year to go before the bottles need testing. I did use West Lakes Gas for all my other bottles but they are now closed down, it was a very handy place for gas fittings.

It’s a problem as you get old as all the contacts you have for all these special things slowly die away.

JR

TramcarTrev
Cracked the big time

Post by TramcarTrev » Tue May 10, 2016 10:14 am

Finding a place to get a fill rather than than an exchange is getting tricky too, BCF at some locations fill but that no good if you run out of gas where BCF only exchange… Rural areas are often easier to find a filler rather than an exchanger…

There is a way you can do this of course if you have bottled LPG for your domestic supply, invert one of your cylinders and decant it into your 9kg bottle with the hose (POL to POL) you can buy from Bunnings…. The gas will be a damned site cheaper too…

Bunnings at one time actually sold an adaptor that went from LH POL to Autogas though It would take some gutz to fill up a 9KG at a servo Auto LPG…. Do that in Western Sydney and you would be up on terrorism charges.

Now is about when everyone jumps in and says the LPG for cars is different to the LPG for Bottles is somehow different but in Australia all LPG is propane UNLESS you go to a supplier and buy “certified gas” (Butane) for Laboratory use… I miss my gas chromatograph…
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

TramcarTrev
Cracked the big time

Post by TramcarTrev » Tue May 10, 2016 10:20 am

J.REEVES wrote:Thanks for the link and info Gerry & Loud,
I have one year to go before the bottles need testing. I did use West Lakes Gas for all my other bottles but they are now closed down, it was a very handy place for gas fittings.

It’s a problem as you get old as all the contacts you have for all these special things slowly die away.

JR
A trick is that when your bottles are just still in date swap them for exchange and let them worry about what to do with OOD bottles… Gives you new bottles and you can refill “Swap n’ Go” bottles… I have done that myself…. Now the funny thing here is the exchange bottles are 8.5 kg capacity but get them refilled at BCF ( or where ever) and they actually take 9kg… I have weighed them…
Blogs;

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Tue May 10, 2016 11:28 am

TramcarTrev wrote:There is a way you can do this of course if you have bottled LPG for your domestic supply, invert one of your cylinders and decant it into your 9kg bottle with the hose (POL to POL) you can buy from Bunnings…. The gas will be a damned site cheaper too…
G’day TT,

I have 7 x 9 kg bottles and been filling them at home for nearly 20 years via a liquid decant valve on my 190 kg bottle. I also have a new 210 kg bottle.

I had a bulk fill of 485 litres a few days ago. The delivered price was 94.6 cents a litre. This is well up on last year’s price.

A 9 kg bottle holds 17.5 litres so a decant fill would cost $16.60 based upon my last price. But of course there are some losses when venting the 9 kg to air whilst filling. Dunno how much.

If one was to fill from a domestic 45 kg bottle it may be more expensive than a swap’n’go. I have no personal experience with exchange 45 kg bottles but Google suggests a cost of $130. A 45 kg holds 88 litres so that is $1.48/Lt. A 9 kg decant would cost about $25.90 + losses.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

TramcarTrev
Cracked the big time

Post by TramcarTrev » Tue May 10, 2016 2:22 pm

Ohhhh Ok so you have to get a bigger bottle at your home to realise a profit….
I dont know what the losses are either, a chap I know delivers bulk gass to domestic bottles and he is allowed 15% waste which he claims he never “officially” uses instead the allowed waste goes to “deserving causes” You must be able to somehow calculate the boil off – supply volume some how…
Blogs;

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Tue May 10, 2016 8:09 pm

TramcarTrev wrote: There is a way you can do this of course if you have bottled LPG for your domestic supply, invert one of your cylinders and decant it into your 9kg bottle with the hose (POL to POL) you can buy from Bunnings…. The gas will be a damned site cheaper too…
TT,
I for one certainly would recommend that nobody takes this flawed advice of yours.

If anything goes wrong, including a blown hose or the relief valve discharging, by following your advice, they have just magnified a dangerous situation by 270.

A liquid withdrawal cylinder is the only cylinder to use for decanting.

Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue May 10, 2016 10:10 pm

I remember this thread as well. I t might just shock some old beliefs.

http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic … 43&t=16493
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

bagmaker
Been here for a while

Post by bagmaker » Wed May 11, 2016 8:37 pm

TramcarTrev wrote:
There is a way you can do this of course if you have bottled LPG for your domestic supply, invert one of your cylinders and decant it into your 9kg bottle with the hose (POL to POL) you can buy from Bunnings…. The gas will be a damned site cheaper too…
You realize of course the earth may well stop turning from these dangerous practices? :lol:

No venting is needed but I fear telling you all how on a public forum……………….

Return to “PICS – unsung inventions & ideas”