Different bottle sizes. Here is a trade secret

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas – words are good but images are GREAT!
dieseltojo
Major contributor

Different bottle sizes. Here is a trade secret

Post by dieseltojo » Wed May 04, 2016 5:43 pm

I took some strips of aluminum flat sheeting 150 mm wide, and kept folding them till they fit a bit more than snugly beside the bottle and clamp with the clamp a bit loose.

Ok you have 4 strips of ally about 150 mm, “6 inches long”. and around 6 mm thk.

Then I put about 25mm into a vice and folded the thing at right angle, then a bit more…it looks like a flat sheet metal tent peg.
Make sure the clamp is a bit loose and insert the sheet metal pegs between the bracket and the bottle.

Now do up the clamp and go and have a beer….. If the thing aint tight enough make them thicker.

This how I have done it is not beautiful….that is your department to make it so… :)
Ok if they are too hard to get out later , insert an upside down tent peg and tap them upwards.

The thing about this is it can be done a 100 different ways, plastic, carpet , whatever. But realize that anything you glue in will have to come out if you go back to a original bigger bottle…and yes it has happened to me.

I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Motherhen
Cracked the big time

Re: Different bottle sizes. Here is a trade secret

Post by Motherhen » Wed May 04, 2016 11:15 pm

We use rubber strips. Self adhesive solid rubber is good and easy to use.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

bagmaker
Been here for a while

Post by bagmaker » Thu May 05, 2016 9:05 am

I dont know tojo……………
Not much stopping the bottle going UPWARD with that wedge theory, like during large bumps.
Still, as long as you are happy

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Thu May 05, 2016 9:33 am

DT, I was in 2 minds about commenting. Now that bagmaker has posted so will I.

I don’t agree that the bottles could be thrust upwards by bumps as it is very difficult to generate high G-forces on the A-frame as the van has too much inertia to be rapidly overcome via tug suspension. Towed behind a truck may be different.

However I do have an issue with your packer projections seriously failing OH&S. Also rather that use folded ally sheet I would get some Bunnings 25 mm wide flat by various thicknesses… say 3, 4 and 5 mm. This would make a tidier looking job.

Rather than a 90 bend at the top, do a full 180 so as to have a U section about 25 mm long. This removes the OH&S issue and provides security when the clamp is a bit loose.

I don’t have an issue with loose bottles. All non-original bottles are too fat so I just replaced the clamping bolts with longer versions.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

TramcarTrev
Cracked the big time

Post by TramcarTrev » Thu May 05, 2016 10:34 am

My Jayco has this covered, they have adjustable toggle clamps and the clamping ring is lined with a strip of 3mm HD foam rubber that conforms perfectly to the shape of the cylinder….It has to be backed off a way before you can get the bottles out. Ive seen the stuff in Clarke Rubber if you wanted to fit it yourself.

I think its Cell vans that have a device that grips the inside of the base ring to secure the bottles…

Yeah I would not imagine that even if the bottles were loose they could jump that high and fall out….
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Thu May 05, 2016 1:19 pm

TramcarTrev wrote:My Jayco has this covered, they have adjustable toggle clamps and the clamping ring is lined with a strip of 3mm HD foam rubber that conforms perfectly to the shape of the cylinder….It has to be backed off a way before you can get the bottles out. Ive seen the stuff in Clarke Rubber if you wanted to fit it yourself.

I think its Cell vans that have a device that grips the inside of the base ring to secure the bottles…

Yeah I would not imagine that even if the bottles were loose they could jump that high and fall out….

But they could turn.

As you would be aware, the relief valves should be facong away from both the tug and van.

The POL connections should be facing each other, in other words.
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Thu May 05, 2016 5:42 pm

Yep all fair comment, and it is only what I have done for around 6 years, and many dirt roads.

I haven’t mentioned that the pic of the bottle is the edge of a front up stand and that a lid comes down on top of it so that in effect I have a lid over and that 3 mm plate forward, as it is only relevant to my van.

The gas being connected has never showed a sign of the tank to turn side ways or show any sign of being affected, and I defy any one to grab a bottle and pull it out vertically.

But I have shown what works for me and have not found it to work in an unsafe manner.

I reckon its fair enough to raise an eye brow though and every one is free to use a bit of the info or none at all.
I chose ally as it crumples a bit and is self gripping, sort of a springing effect. I suppose harder metal would be neater as well. But the smoother and harder the metal the harder to clamp.
Any way just my thoughts , and probably not relevant. :)
If you look at the pic there is a horizontal weld around the bottle. Note tat this also provides a tension to the bottle well above the centre line.
Also probably irrelevant, but does aid in keeping the thing in place.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Thu May 05, 2016 6:39 pm

dieseltojo wrote: I suppose harder metal would be neater as well.
DT, doesn’t need to be harder as I thought Ally was the perfect medium. Just that I prefer the neatness of a single flat like 25 mm x 3 mm rather than folded sheetmetal ;-)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sat May 07, 2016 10:12 am

Dear members,
Please let me make the following qualification and concern over safety, and esthetics etc. I will try to present things so that they look better in future…. :)
Just consider that I made an effort, and consider how many blokes have had a go at this sort of a problem.
I guess if it makes us think, at least we have done well. Even if used in an emergency it is a start and might help some one out.

All answers have been valid.

I have tried to convey an Idea only.

Yes the pic I posted is of a distinctly agricultural piece of crap.

Every one can modify it and make it from whatever they like.

You could shape bits of wood to do the same job or dense strips of rubber.

The photo I submitted came about in a country town where I had to change a bottle and it was too small for my band. The band on my bottles is a lever, over-centre clip type, and is not adjustable.
I went to a bin found an old ally chair and cut some shorts off it , then beat them with a hammer to get the end result.

There is no doubt that it is a more permanent process to cut the connectors off my metal strap, refold or weld brackets and install a nice long bolt. That’s cool as are another 10 ways to do the job better.

Ok It worked so well that I left it in place. I admit it looks like a farmer did it in a hurry and that is pretty close to the truth. :)

You can see that from the pic that it is not strips of ally neatly folded. It is just a concept on that pic. the other flattened sheet metal ones look much neater of course.

My fault for not crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s.
I will try to present things so that they look better in future…. :) Just consider that I made an effort and consider how many blokes have had a go at this sort of a problem.
Dieseltojo MacGyver…..
1929 Pop Top

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Sat May 07, 2016 11:17 am

DT,
You also made everyone, whether they are members or visitors, aware that bottle sizes do vary and that we should always travel with appropriate tools and know-how :) ; thankyou.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Return to “PICS – unsung inventions & ideas”