Clear view mirrors and a problem

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas – words are good but images are GREAT!
dieseltojo
Major contributor

Clear view mirrors and a problem

Post by dieseltojo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi folks,
I too have the Clearview mirrors and am also affected by the narrowness of my driveway even with the mirrors at the pushed in usable position. All ok when folded flat against the truck.
I reckon it all depends on your view of the usefulness to you for daily driving against their excellent s as a rear view towing mirror. Personally I like them, and it’s due to the long types of trips that we do, never less than 6 weeks and many kilometres. From the point of view of driving with a van on, I have never had a better mirror. But yes you may need a 2nd mortgage to get a set.
This in no way diminishes the problem of backing (reversing) in a narrow drive way when at home; they can be a problem.
So I just fold them in and back out. But this is no good for my wife as she is shorter and needs a mirror. Hence the purpose of this post.
I made a temporary, easily installed mirror from some scraps of metal and an old cheap strap on mirror.
The left pic shows the individual mirror. The right pic shows it in position on the left side of the truck. Now my wife and I both use this mirror and the large mirrors get folded back out when past the house.
Yes you have to get out and remove the temporary mirror and fold out the Clearview, but I really do appreciate the Clearview’s , even every day driving. Now I hardly hit anything.

I strapped some tubing to the bottom edge that touches the duco and it just slides down beside the glass. This is just what I did and thought it may help others.
Cheers.
As I had to do a bit oof a search to find mu musings I thought I would instate the article i wrote in here for our members.
I made a similar one for the right side as well. I stress that I do not take them on trips and are only used in the driveway. I reckon not too many would have this problem but it does make my life easier as I have drawers and stuff to see over in my truck.

I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

MARKx4
On a roll

Re: Clear view mirrors and a problem

Post by MARKx4 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:49 pm

Great idea, the extra width the clearview creates also causes me issues and with the amount of townig per year we do i just gave them a miss. If clearview came up with a multi stage teliscopic pull out system that allowed the mirror to retract back to factory width i would buy a set with out any issues.

Its just the extra width and amount i tow is the reason i don’t get them plus another little annoying thing with them is that on most models you lose fact OEM options like auto fold in mirrors and mirror heaters, but this is not a deal breaker but it is a little annoying you have to give up some standard features.

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: Clear view mirrors and a problem

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:19 pm

Hi Mark,
Yep they are a big mirror and very expensive. But I love e’m as we do 6 week trips, and Now I find them indispensable.
They don’t vibrate or lose their view or position either. Still nothings perfect…. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Return to “PICS – unsung inventions & ideas”