Our Van Upgrades

Have you done some nice upgrades on your RV? We would love to hear about them!
lanceonley
On a roll

Re: New Subject Jayco 21ft Sterling upgrades.

Post by lanceonley » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi all,
Can,t compete with Sal,s list but here is our contribution.
Replaced L Lounge for two recliner swivel chairs ands built box behind to take what we had under the L Lounge.
Bumper bar with outboard holder on rear of van .
Portable folding solar panel with anderson plug inside door of water tank filler which we put on roof with our telescopic ladder.
Boat trailer breaks up with main bar carried in chanel of chassis ,the rest on front of A frame.
Outside TV bracket on side of van and 12 volt power outlet for TV in annexe.
fold down shelf for Printer.
And still thinking of more to do.
C heers Lance

Azhure
Avid poster

Re: Our Van Upgrades

Post by Azhure » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:14 pm

We made an extra outside storage area by putting in a hatch and building a tunnel boot which goes through one bedside table and across 3/4 of the under bed area.
Also changed all our inside lights to LED, put in a battery monitor, added another 12v power point for running the laptop at the table and added extra towel rails and hooks.
Next job will be installing a solar panel on the roof.

peter915
An old hand

Post by peter915 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Simon
Here's a list of the modifications we have made to our Newlands 19'6" twin axle 2011 model.

Built 01/2011

Modify electric brakes wiring – removal of all screw terminal cable joiners. All joints soldered. Then shrinked wrapped. The wiring was then encased in plastic corrugate type conduit. Clipped and wrapped.

Alter tow hitch coupling location from bottom of draw-bar to top of draw bar to suit tow vehicle.

Addition of a McHitch tow coupling.

Stone Stomper device installed.

Removal of C tek battery charger and replaced with a Redarc 1215 BMS unit. An additional 2 extra batteries were installed. These new batteries are mounted on either side of chassis, forward of front axles. Wiring to batteries was completed in a diagonal method. Additional batteries are of the same brand and type as the original battery. Battery type: 100 amp, AGM type. This gives a combined total of 300 amps or a useable 150amps per cycle.

Installation of four solar modules on the caravan roof. These panels are connected to the BMS unit.
Each panel is 125 watts x 12 volt. All panels fitted with diodes.

Waxyol injected into chassis sub frames. Chassis is a Preston Chassis hot dipped in zinc. Fitted with a simplicity type suspension.

Aluminium chequer plate support installed for the external gas BBQ. This support is screwed to caravan frame.

Rear reversing video camera installed at the rear of the caravan.

Reversing LED light spot light installed on rear of the van. This is a LED type, 140 watts, powered by the caravan battery system, which is switched on or off by a relay connected to the trailer plug which uses the reversing circuit in the towing vehicle.

Split water tanks: 3 water tanks were supplied, inter- connected. Alter this configuration so only one tank is connected to kitchen cold tap. The two remaining tanks are connected together for washing & WC use.
Both tank setups have separate electric 12 volt water pumps. Install second water level gauge for kitchen sink tank.

Modify sliding cutlery draw in kitchen cupboard. The original draw ran on two wooden guides. Replaced with self-closing mechanical draw sliders.
Same modification done to both vanity draws in bathroom.

Second shelf installed in main cupboard under the kitchen sink. Cupboard interior braced with 10mm plywood

Slide-out pantry unit changed for slightly different unit. Original slide-out unit to be re-installed in same cupboard space, but on opposite side without baskets. This unit will then be used to hang large thin utensils from i.e. tongs, BBQ tools.

Cover all tank connections and pipe work with sheet metal for stone protection.

Wire basket fitted inside A-frame draw bar. This extends under the body of the van. Used for storing hoses, firewood and other outside items.

Hot water hose tap installed along side existing cold water tap on the front A-frame. Useful for washing up outside the van. Connected to HW cylinder.

Lag all hot water pipe work with 9mm thick bradflex pipe insulation. This stops heat loss in the pipe work from the cylinder to the shower.

150mm PVC pipe storage install on rear bumper. Used for storing annex poles.

The van’s original ATM from Concept was 2,430kg. We had this increased to 2,580kg after explaining to Concept that we felt the van was under-rated. They agreed and increased the payload weight by 150kg.
The VIN plate was altered to reflect this.

Install two BEST water filters; one fitted under the kitchen sink to service the cold water tap in the kitchen. This tap is the only tap drawing from the front 60 litre water tank. Second filter fitted on the water supply coming from external hose connection.

Alter the Anderson plug to a larger 125amp plug type to suit tow vehicle. Increase cable size from plug to BMS unit in the caravan boot.

Install 2x towel rails in bathroom.

Outside awnings installed from Supa Peg; one for the fridge and one for the bedroom window.

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:40 pm

Here goes, did the best I could with a 31yo van

Put in 2 X 100ah gel batteries, and fitted volt meter in overhead cupboard
5 12v cigerette lighter points,
Radio cassette
150w inverter to run the 2 X 240v 8w (low wattage globe) ceiling lights or anything that will run off it
Took out the 2 singles and put in an east/west double bed, and made a bedside cupboard with the offcuts
Replaced the floor vinyl
Put in a magazine rack
1003300028.JPG
Made and put in a shelf for the laptop to be used as TV
03 OCT 2010 026.jpg
Made a new table with fold up legs (can also be used outside)
Made and fitted a roll out self standing awning
03 OCT 2010 039.jpg
Added a boot to the rear
Brenda
Made new curtains and pelmets
recovered all the cushions
That's it for now, but thinking about having shockies fitted
Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

reidysroaming
On a roll

Post by reidysroaming » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:23 pm

We purchased our 1979 Viscount caravan 3 years ago. We have renovated the inside & out. Outside we spray painted added checkerplating to the front rear & sides. Added a new water tank & lockable cap. Added another gas bottle holder. Replace the leaf springs to truck quality ones & new truck tyres & rims. Replace the power socket all the lights to LCD lighting. Inside we replaced all the lights. Replaced the ceiling to marine ply. Painted the whole van. Got some off cut vinyl for the floor. Replaced the table to a collapsible one. Replaced all the benchtops. Just purchased a 2nd hand 3 way fridge. Bought foam for all the beds & seats & sewed covers for them. Sewed new curtains. Added a cupboard near the door to house cups & plates. Added a shelf to screw the microwave permanately to the bench top. Added checkerplate to the inside step & bought all the things the need for the inside so we just have to pack in clothes & food at a minutes notice & head off. We just have to wire up the inside to a battery. We also have a RV4 Oztent, with a caravan connector to replace the leaking annex & a fly room. This year bought a Nissan Navara so we can see more of the off road sights. We have taken our carvan along dirt tracks & it handles it nicely. You don't need an expensive caravan with all the gismos & gadgets you will see just as much in an older van you just need to hook up & go to explore. My photos of my caravan are on my blog page. Under My home away from home. http://blog.travelpod.com/members/reidysroaming
Leasa
1979 Viscount 5berth pop top caravan. Lovingly restored, by us.
2009 Turbo diesel Nissan Navara (best car I ever owned)
Take nothing but photos leave nothing but footprints
http://blog.travelpod.com/members/reidysroaming

hank
Cracked the big time

Post by hank » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:49 am

Just had a look at your van and it certainly is a credit to you. You obviously have a sheety background or know someone in the game as having all that checkerplate cut and folded would have cost a dollar or two.
The van looks great.

Hank
Hank and Sue
2012 Prado GXL 3L Turbo Diesel
2010 Royal Flair 21ft Designer series

reidysroaming
On a roll

Post by reidysroaming » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks my husband is in Air Conditioning & shopfitting, so he has alot of sheetmetal duct work built. But unfortunately the company he uses didn't have a big enough roller so we hunted for a couple of months trying to find a company with a big enough roller which we eventually found in Kirrawee & it wasn't that expensive couple of hundred I think. My husband had cut it all to size beforehand. We tried to bend ourselves but it just popped the rivits. I still want him to built a checkerplate box to house the poles & a draw for under the van to house the hose, waste water hose, leg stands & electricity lead. Just time & money we need to save, for our next improvements.
Leasa
1979 Viscount 5berth pop top caravan. Lovingly restored, by us.
2009 Turbo diesel Nissan Navara (best car I ever owned)
Take nothing but photos leave nothing but footprints
http://blog.travelpod.com/members/reidysroaming

pinto
Getting the hang of it

Post by pinto » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:32 pm

We bought our Avan Owen 609 adventure pack new. As we would be living in the van it needed some serious upgrades. Van came fitted with rooftop A/C and roll out awning which converts into a full size annex. We are free camping most of the time where we can and found the items we needed on Ebay at half the price we could buy them in shops. I fitted all the mods myself thus saving many $$$$$$$$$$$

Van mods so far :
200 watt solar panel + mounting kit and regulator $450
2nd deep cycle battery and Wired up fridge to run off solar.
or car batteries .
Took step off as it was too low and hooked up damaging it so we use portable one.
Extra shelf in fridge door.
As batteries , break away , charger etc are under the bed I fitted a partition to keep stuff moving into the electrics thus reinforcing the bed as well.
Edging on shelves to stop stuff falling off.
Alloy strip in roof cupboard doors to stop items leaping out at us when we stop.. Broke glass cooktop when glass fell out and smashed it...
Modified wardrobe to fit standard size clothes hangers.
LED annex light.
Led TV and mount.
Blu ray player.
Annex pole holder on rear bar.
Radio antenna.
Sony DVD , CD , radio with USB port plus 4 100 watt speakers . 4 speakers under the bed adds a new demention in surround sound when bed starts vibrating at high volume.. :D
Spare 95 liter drinking water tank , filler with electric pump and flick mix tap.
Replaced 4 Kg gas bottles with two 9Kg bottles and fitted jerrycan rack between the bottles for genny fuel.
Mover jockey wheel to the outside of drawbar as winder hit bottles.
4.4 KVA generator which runs hot water . A/C and micro wave at the same time at 1/4 the price of a Honda.
Washing machine and clothes hoist.
Dual reversing cameras on van and car with 7 inch screen
Lazer cut transfers to give the van and 4x4 a personal touch..
Portable waterpump for filling tanks out of clean streams , dams for shower when free camping

Nissan Patrol mods:
Bullbar and two 100 watt pencil beam driving lights for skippys if caught out on the road after dark. Had one wreck my falcon once..
Dual batteries.
Brake controler.
Suspension upgrade with 2 inch lift.
Gme UHF and 2 hand helds to save argument when backing into those tight spots.
Couple mate tow bar attachment.
Car crash dash cam.
Air compressor for tyres.
Sat nav to get us lost. :???: twice in one day.
Roof racks to carry Kayak.
Transmission cooler.
Turbo intercooler fan for when slogging up those long hills at 30 kph..
Dummy tail lights fitted with globes and all working...Brake , tail light and 4 reverse.. only had 1 reversing light from Nissan factory about as bright as a candle on the nullabour.. :roll:
Good Sony sound system.
Lambs wool seat covers for comfy bottom.. :razz:
Snorkle to get nice clean air to the engine.
Nice new all terrain tyres .
Reversing camera.
Removed back seats for more cargo space.

Would like to have the Patrols engine chipped and a new 3 inch exhaust fitted to give it more power on those hills..
Let the wind blow free
Where ever you my be..

Bec Fist
Ex-staff

Post by Bec Fist » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:09 am

pinto wrote:We bought our Avan Owen 609 adventure pack new. As we would be living in the van it needed some serious upgrades. Van came fitted with rooftop A/C and roll out awning which converts into a full size annex. We are free camping most of the time where we can and found the items we needed on Ebay at half the price we could buy them in shops. I fitted all the mods myself thus saving many $$$$$$$$$$$

Van mods so far :
200 watt solar panel + mounting kit and regulator $450
2nd deep cycle battery and Wired up fridge to run off solar.
or car batteries .
Took step off as it was too low and hooked up damaging it so we use portable one.
Extra shelf in fridge door.
As batteries , break away , charger etc are under the bed I fitted a partition to keep stuff moving into the electrics thus reinforcing the bed as well.
Edging on shelves to stop stuff falling off.
Alloy strip in roof cupboard doors to stop items leaping out at us when we stop.. Broke glass cooktop when glass fell out and smashed it...
Modified wardrobe to fit standard size clothes hangers.
LED annex light.
Led TV and mount.
Blu ray player.
Annex pole holder on rear bar.
Radio antenna.
Sony DVD , CD , radio with USB port plus 4 100 watt speakers . 4 speakers under the bed adds a new demention in surround sound when bed starts vibrating at high volume.. :D
Spare 95 liter drinking water tank , filler with electric pump and flick mix tap.
Replaced 4 Kg gas bottles with two 9Kg bottles and fitted jerrycan rack between the bottles for genny fuel.
Mover jockey wheel to the outside of drawbar as winder hit bottles.
4.4 KVA generator which runs hot water . A/C and micro wave at the same time at 1/4 the price of a Honda.
Washing machine and clothes hoist.
Dual reversing cameras on van and car with 7 inch screen
Lazer cut transfers to give the van and 4x4 a personal touch..
Portable waterpump for filling tanks out of clean streams , dams for shower when free camping

Nissan Patrol mods:
Bullbar and two 100 watt pencil beam driving lights for skippys if caught out on the road after dark. Had one wreck my falcon once..
Dual batteries.
Brake controler.
Suspension upgrade with 2 inch lift.
Gme UHF and 2 hand helds to save argument when backing into those tight spots.
Couple mate tow bar attachment.
Car crash dash cam.
Air compressor for tyres.
Sat nav to get us lost. :???: twice in one day.
Roof racks to carry Kayak.
Transmission cooler.
Turbo intercooler fan for when slogging up those long hills at 30 kph..
Dummy tail lights fitted with globes and all working...Brake , tail light and 4 reverse.. only had 1 reversing light from Nissan factory about as bright as a candle on the nullabour.. :roll:
Good Sony sound system.
Lambs wool seat covers for comfy bottom.. :razz:
Snorkle to get nice clean air to the engine.
Nice new all terrain tyres .
Reversing camera.
Removed back seats for more cargo space.

Would like to have the Patrols engine chipped and a new 3 inch exhaust fitted to give it more power on those hills..
Sounds epic pinto.
We'd love to showcase your upgrade in the magazine.
If you're interested, contact us on [email protected] and I'll be in touch.
Cheers, Rebecca.
(Editorial Assistant)

coxy45
Avid poster

Post by coxy45 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:38 pm

My 2 bob's worth.
Changed Jockey wheel to a Trail a Mate
Changed all lights to LEDs
New Projecta smart charger
600watt inverter
100watt portable Solar Panels
Marine quality connection point on side of Van, to charge from Solar to Battery, (keeps boot locked while out)
Generator box on rear of Van
Honda Generator 2kva
Added extra shelf in slide out pantry
Mesh fitted to A frame draw bar, to store firewood & hoses
Fitted a 12 volt point inside,
Fitted "dummy" trailer & Anderson plugs on side of A frame (keeps out spiders,insects & moisture)
40mil PVC x 2 under Van, to store sullage hoses.
"See you 'round my campfire"

Geoff & Bev
NP Pajero GLX Diesel Auto
07 Millard Horizon 17' Pop Top

Return to “Readers' RV Upgrades”