Convert a size C battery torch to take size AA batteries.

Note: PICS of unsung inventions & ideas are not available to Guests
dieseltojo
Major contributor

Convert a size C battery torch to take size AA batteries.

Post by dieseltojo » Wed May 04, 2016 5:56 pm

This might interest some members …..Or bore you to death. If you reckon this is an exercise in futility, that’s ok too.
This is a typical torch that takes C size batteries. It is a good quality torch but the batteries in C size rechargeable are pretty expensive in the L-ion class.
On the left is an alternative

The common Double A’s can be purchased in bulk lots of 20 or more at reasonable prices if you search the internet.
It pays to use the Double A’s if the torch is an LED one. I know that going camping for a week my torch has plenty of life after a week’s regular use with the Double A’s.
Before I get involved in making a homemade battery holder, that whilst it is size C battery in size, it actually takes smaller a Double A battery, just look at this.

You can buy a plastic battery holder from Hong Kong for around $8-00 a pair. The AA battery fits nicely inside this adapter. So If you are wanting a few it might pay to just buy a few and source them at the cheapest price.

That’s ok but I have three torches and it starts to cost a few bob more for that amount of holders, so I made one from a bit of dowel, (ex broom handle) by drilling it out and cutting to size. I also drilled the thing with 3 mm holes and followed that with 6 mm. This not only makes it lighter but dissipates any heat, should that occur.

I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: Convert a size C battery torch to take size AA batteries

Post by dieseltojo » Wed May 04, 2016 5:57 pm

the end view all drilled out.

I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Wed May 04, 2016 5:59 pm

This is the bought one.
1929 Pop Top

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Wed May 04, 2016 6:02 pm

You can make them in all sizes of course. here is the single size. not hard to make and although a bit of work, you will certainly have some thing different to show around the camp fire.

1929 Pop Top

Archer63
An old hand

Post by Archer63 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:02 pm

I like it !!

Very clever....great idea DT.

Cheers
Rob
2018 Pajero Exceed
2013 Jayco Swan Outback

TramcarTrev
Cracked the big time

Post by TramcarTrev » Wed May 04, 2016 7:20 pm

If you want a "REAL" torch one of these is the go. 12Watt bluddy brilliant....
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CREE-XM-L-T6 ... SwoBtW6Q~I
Mains or 12V rechargeable
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Bundyrumandcoke
An old hand

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » Wed May 04, 2016 9:43 pm

Alternatively, use an appropriate length of 15mm PVC pipe, inside the next size up.

For the Australian contingent of Scouts who went to the World Scout Jamboree in Japan last year, I built the portable lighting for their campsites. It had to be small, lightweight, cheap, and portable, bright, and capable of being carried in luggage for the flight from Sydney to Tokyo. I had to make 14 of these.

The solution lay in LED strip lighting. They run off 12 volts DC. But how to power them. A small solar panel, say 5 watts, and a small sealed gel cell battery of around 7 amps was my first consideration, but it was discarded due to the weight and size. I then went for 15mm PVC tube. 8 AA batteries in series gives 12 volts. 2 sheets of A4 paper acted as shims inside the tube for a firmer fit. Sealed with a glue on cap at one end, the other end was a screw on cap. The sealed end had a spring connected to the negative wire. A pop rivet in the screw end, and an alligator clip on the positive wire completes the circuit. Slide 8 AA batteries in nose to tail, screw the end on, and clip the alligator clip to the rivet, and they were getting about 15 hrs out of one set of alkaline batteries.

Most of the above is just excess info, but the idea is to use PVC tube as the battery holder.

This photo shows all the lights I made, laying on 330 x 330mm tiles.

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Thu May 05, 2016 7:40 am

DT,
Sorry, but if I had a torch that took 'C' cells I'd convert it to rubbish; the torches available today that are available on line or at Jaycar are brilliant.
Also,I have found that a bulk buy of batteries from Bunnings is the way to go; 'AA's are 30 for $20 for Coppertops.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

TramcarTrev
Cracked the big time

Post by TramcarTrev » Thu May 05, 2016 9:36 am

Aldi also sell their own brand at a good price, batteries that is.

Yes Im with you on torches Glan, the one I got in my previous post is about as powerful as a car headlight, when focused to a narrow beam you can see forever, scary the things that are out there at night looking at you with their little beady red eyes...
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Thu May 05, 2016 10:00 am

I too bought one a couple of years ago, a small unit (about 2" long) which takes one AA size battery. The battery though is 3.2v (or thereabouts?) lithium ion and is like a spotlight when focused.

However, it also works very well on a standard AA 1.5v battery. Not as bright, but still extremely good. The only issue I have is that the rechargeable lithiums don't go dim as they flatten, they just stop dead and leave you with no light at all. Not so when using standard AA's.

From memory, I paid something like $18 for the torch, 2 lithium batteries and a battery charger. It's been faultless since I bought it and carry it around in my pocket at night while camping.
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2018 New Age Manta Ray 18'

Return to “Unsung Inventions & Ideas.”