View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 WHICH DUAL CAB UTES TO BUY ? 

Post WHICH DUAL CAB UTES TO BUY ?
Guys..am seeking advice on which DC to buy, must be turbo diesel, have a towing capacity of 3t & have an automatic transmission.

Is there good value in SH private, auction or dealer on a demo model ??...what`s it like buy from a country dealer or do you need to go with the strength in the city ??

Comments please

Cheers

Frank

Last edited by old man white on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Post Re: WHICH TO BUY IN DUAL CAB UTES
At work we've purchased about a dozen vehicles through auctions now rather than buying new.

Most of these have had no issues, some have needed thousands spent on them.

The checks you can make at the auctions didn't show up the work that was neeeed in all cases.

In short, yes you can save money, but make sure you don't spend it until you've given the vehicle a good going-over an a good workout.

I'll get in first and suggest a D40 Navara

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Post Re: WHICH TO BUY IN DUAL CAB UTES
Can't recommend the Ford Ranger highly enough. Bought from a dealer. Great power,economy, comfort etc.
Cheers Bob. 8-)

Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:44 pm

Post Re: WHICH DUAL CAB UTES TO BUY ?
Hi Frank, Holden Colorado 3lt Td auto has a 3mt towing capacity and drives well. Love mine.

Jayco Sterling 23' (23.72-1) 2009

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:04 am

I have a triton- but its only the newer models in the MN triton that have 3 tonne towing.

My criteria may have been different to yours- but I found the triton to have the most comfortable rear seat for the kids. The front suspension is also a coil strut design, which I found better than the torsion bar arangement on some of the other offerings.

I think that towing 3 tonne in these dual cabs is a little beyond the abillities of this style of ute (and so do the manufacturers) need to check very carefully in the specification sheets for each model with regard to ball weight, gross combination mass.

Some of these vehicles when towing 3 tonne, ball weight, fuel, and the driver had better not be over 90kg or the "combination" will be over. Buyer beware.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:25 am

Frank,
We have an 07 Navara D 40 diesel Auto.
We bought it as a demo model and so far its been great - done 65,000k about 45,000k of that towing our 21ft-2.5tonne van around.
We get around 18.5litres/100ks towing.
First 20,000ks it was stock standard then we upgraded the suspension, as we did the Canning Stock Route(no van), and I would suggest if thinking of a Nissan Navara D40 that you consider the suspension upgrade (ours cost around $2,000.00) it will tow a bit better than with the standard suspension.
A very comfortable and easy towing unit which is rated at 3 tonne but would probably be best at up to 2750kgs IMHO.
You see a lot of them pulling 5th wheelers and most of them are close to 3 tonne.
As for dealers city or country - best of luck - they dont have a great reputation - probably country dealers might be better - I dont take my car anywhere near a dealer- cant trust them to do the job properly and they charge to much - find your own 4wd mechanic is my advice.

Hope this helps in some way.

Jeff.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:39 pm

Once you've decided on your vehicle, send a fax to all the dealerships that you're willing to travel to (distance wise)

State the colour, trim level, body style, accessories etc.

Tell them that they have the chance to make an easy comission

Give them the opportunity to submit their lowest price back in writing by fax. Lowest price gets the sale

Have a friend who's done it a few times after doing the normal talking to a salesman at the yard method and he's consistantly gotten the same or cheaper prices.

They're not investing any time on you, they can afford to give you a good price.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:46 pm

Jeff,

thanks for the advice. Just wondering if you would care to mention the suspension mods undertaken.

Also any thought on the 3L TD motor V the 2.5L unit, is one better than the other or is it a case of newer technology.

As for dealers am agreed, have enjoyed first class service from my Sydney guy for many years & when "in the bush" always look for a 4WD Service Centre. Always a good opportunity to pick the brains of the 4WD community as a rule.

Frank

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm

Sean...good point, can`t stand the "blah, blah, blah" they serve you up, must give it a go !!

Frank

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:55 pm

Just ordered a 2011 colorado auto diesel ticked all the boxes apart from the back seat which no one will be using so it did not come into play but as far as everything else i can not wait .We tow a 2100kg van and the Holden's have a 3000kg tow limit so we have a bit spare there .On the second hand side we looked at second hand Prado's and pajeros landcruises and the like and i could not pay what they wanted with the kms they had on them so we made the decision to throw a bit more cash in and go new Cheers jt PS what ever u decide i am sure u will enjoy it

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next