View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Toyota Hilux 2008 4x4 dual cab diesel 

Post Toyota Hilux 2008 4x4 dual cab diesel
Hi everyone,
its robiyns, sorry that we have been quiet for so long, but we eventually got out on the road at the end of november 2010, but have had nothing but problems with our choice of car and van.
We need advice again.
We are thinking of getting a 2008 hilux 4x4 dual cab diesel.
What is the fuel consumption
What is it like for towing, they say it will tow up to 3 tonne but the book says 2250tonne, our van is 1900 tonne.
It is a 5 speed manual with 4 wheel drive.
Our terracan was supposed to tow 2500, but goes down to 40k and second gear to get up hills and sometimes boils, it is a petrol version and auto.
This is why we are changing it, but dont want to make the same mistake twice.
Does anyone know if the hilux would tow the van better.
Please help.
Thanks Robiyns :?:

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:32 pm

Post Re: Toyota Hilux 2008 4x4 dual cab diesel
Who is they? Quoting "they" when you are in trouble will not get you out of trouble. Stick to the manufacturers recommendation. Have a look at the vehicle handbook or look at the compliance plate on the tow bar.

When you say your van is 1900 tonne, do you really mean 1900 kg? If that is the tare weight then its ATM will be at least 2300kg, you will probably load it to its limit eventually or even a little more. That makes your van too heavy for the Hilux.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:42 pm

Can't recal ever seeing a Hilux rated to tow 3000kg, I take it you mean somebody (possibly the person selling it?) is telling you it will do that.

They do tow fairly well. They're a common choice in this nanny state era for industry as they're toyota but have airbags. I've seen them tow, and used them to tow, well over 3000kg but never at speed, and never on public roads!

Personally I'd have no issues towing a van your size with it, provided the vehicle was complianced/licensed/what-have-you to tow it.

Check the towbar that's fitted to it as well, seen more than a few commercial vehicles come with free towbars that are rated to much less than the vehicles potetial.

One of the reasons I dislike automatic transmissions is that when they're not in "lockup" the converter can slip, especially under load such as on a hill. Slip in the converter heats the transmission fluid, which can then heat your coolant if you have an in-radiator transmission cooler.

Manuals don't have this problem.

It's hard to know how much fuel you'll use towing, but without anything on the back around town I'd expect atleast as low as 11L/100. I know a guy with a Prado that regularly gets below 10L/100.

They're a good car, also look at D40 Navaras, they're slightly bigger, slightly cheaper, and I think tow slightly better. They also get a 6speed manual giving you an extra gear to play with and factory aircon.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:21 am

Hi thanks for your answers. By they I meant the car yard salesperson. We did look at the handbook and it said that it would tow 2250kgs the towbar says 250kgs,sorry yes i did mean kgs, not tonnes, am very stressed over situation.Our van is 1900kgs loaded, yes it was the salesperson that said it would tow 3000kgs until we looked in the manual then he changed his tune.thanks for the info on why the terracan is boiling, it is good to have some answers. Glad to hear from someone that has towed with hilux.We will look into the navara as well.
thanks robiyns

Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:10 am

G'day Robiyns

Firstly let me say that I am very surprised at the 'poor' performance you are experiencing with the Terracan.....I would venture to say that the petrol V6 Terri should have heaps more 'grunt' for your outfit than the diesel hi-lux..and, for that matter most other diesel utes.

IMO there is something seriously wrong with your Terri.....I dont know how much it owes you but the exercise of changing over is going to cost you heaps...Again, IMO, you'd be better off spending a hell of a lot less in fixing and improving the one you've got, rather than starting all over again with one with dubious performance for your outfit.
At the very least...Your Terri is far more comfortable than the commercial vehicles you speak off.

There is a Terracan Owners forum site which would be of great help...
http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php?showforum=47

Jock :neutral:

Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:21 am

Ive been towing with my V6 Terracan for a few years now, but I to am considering changing over to a diesel. Problem with the petrol Terracan is that it has very little torque and really chews the fuel. My van weighs 1600 kgs, loaded up around the 1800 mark I was getting about 22 litres per hundred towing and 14 litres per hundred without, I then purchased a Volo fuel saver chip from the US and now get about 18ks per 100 towing, but still the Terry's motor struggles. The diesel version however is amazing. I'm looking at a Triton or Navara manual even considered the Ford Ranger not for anything else but to save fuel and get more torque. Even though Ive never had the Terry boil, wether towing or not in hot or hilly terrain the temp gauge always stays in the normal range. I think your van is a bit too heavy for the Terracan.

Garry

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:13 am

Hi,
I tow a 19" hardtop van weighing 1940kg tare and tow with an '06 Terracan diesel 5sp. It tows like a dream, usually sitting on 95 in 4th gear . I get around 16l/100 . It takes me all my time to sit on that speed as it wants to go. If I was happy to sit on 105 in 5th it would be happy to do it. I am surprised about the petrol lack of power.
Cheers Doug

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:15 pm

robiyns wrote:
Hi everyone,
its robiyns, sorry that we have been quiet for so long, but we eventually got out on the road at the end of november 2010, but have had nothing but problems with our choice of car and van.
We need advice again.
Our terracan was supposed to tow 2500, but goes down to 40k and second gear to get up hills and sometimes boils, it is a petrol version and auto.
This is why we are changing it, but dont want to make the same mistake twice.
Does anyone know if the hilux would tow the van better.
Please help.
Thanks Robiyns :?:

Gday...
Like some others, I towed a 21ft 2600kg tandem van with a 2006 Terracan CRDi Auto ... It pulled it faultlessly - I only changed to the Discovery 3 because the Terry had a 180kg ball limit and the van put 240kg on the ball.
I too am astounded the petrol auto would not pull your van easily,
Perhaps a query on the Terracan Owners Dorum may help.
Try it - http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php ... /?f47.html
Maybe the your Terry needs 'something' to help it
Cheers
John

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:16 pm

Sean, I think you have your figures wrong, maybe 10mpg, definitely not 10l/100km when towing, not even the deisel. I have a 4L petrol Prado and when towing more like 20l/100km. When not towing mine returns 13l/100km, the deisel would be better than that, but if he gets 10/100 his name must be Hans Tholstrup?

Hank

Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:45 pm

hank wrote:
Sean, I think you have your figures wrong, maybe 10mpg, definitely not 10l/100km when towing, not even the deisel. I have a 4L petrol Prado and when towing more like 20l/100km. When not towing mine returns 13l/100km, the deisel would be better than that, but if he gets 10/100 his name must be Hans Tholstrup?

Hank

Simple missunderstanding (on your part) Hank

Sean wrote:
It's hard to know how much fuel you'll use towing, but without anything on the back around town I'd expect atleast as low as 11L/100. I know a guy with a Prado that regularly gets below 10L/100.

You'll notice I said it's hard to know how much they'd use towing, but followed it up with the advice that they could expect around 11/100 around town without anything on the back.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next