View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 another silly question 

Post another silly question
Was just wondering for the seasoned/permanent travellers out there what do you do if you are in an area that has been forcast a cyclone/ is on a blue/yellow alert for a cyclone?
Do you prepare your van as best as you can,anchoring it down or do you hi tail it as far away from the area as possible?
Only asking as I am watching a cyclone brew off the WA coast,knowing that we will be in a cyclone prone area later this year.
I am not a risk taker esp when it comes to the safety of our young family.
Cheers
kat

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Post Re: another silly question
Find its predicted direction of travel and go the other way.
SERIOUSLY...

Life n Limb isnt worth Tie Downs, tent pegs and hope...Not to mention the insurance insanity weve been hearing on TV...Dont gamble,Life is too valuable, get out

Cheers Rod

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:50 pm

How far away is "a cyclone prone area later this year"..

Months? then wait as it may never eventuate. But if its a garenteed hit,,Vamoose.

Rod

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:54 pm

we head into Carnarvon in July this year and dependant on work we wont leave until about March 2012..so that puts us in the cyclone season.
I made 100% sure when I insured the old girl the other day that we are covered for everything..fire/bushfire,flood/cyclone/burst rivers,theft,crash etc etc.
Our home contents which will cover the personals(laptops,phones etc etc) is the same.. the absolute highest coverage.. I dont mond paying a little more on my premium

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:00 pm

well,you'll get plenty of warning via the media.

IF its the usual season BUT nothing there yet definatley go. May be a good year for you,i certainly hope so.

Im NOT the local neighbourhood hero.Im gone if i hear news flashes ETC and depending on circumstances you should too.

But youre right,best ask now before you head into a prone area.

Cheers Rod.

Im hoping some LOCALS will chip in with some home grown advice

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi Kat, I live in a cyclone prone area. BEST ADVICE, cyclones don't move fast and in a predictable path so a quick look at BOM and then pack up and go is the best way to preserve life & limb

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:05 pm

johnandtrin,

I was in Carnarvon last year in March, July and September and didn't get a sniff of a cyclone.

Have been going North for about 3 months a year for 3 years now and never run into a cyclone nor do I want to. It is a bit hot up there in Summer and I normally go your way in Summer. Augusta, Nannup, Pemberton, Albany and this year Esperence for 3 weeks

When in the North West of Australia, I calculate how long to get to what I consider a safe area, in Carnarvon's case it would be Northhampton, Geraldton for starters, about 5 hours travel. If it looks like coming my way, off I would go. That would be easy for me as I stay at places for a month so I am in the position where it wouldn't take too long to pack and go.

If I was in the position where I had stopped for 9 months, well pack up time might be a lot longer. Also, decisions on what not to take have to be made, you cannot overload the van just because a cyclones coming. I can only imagine the stuff I would have if I stayed somewhere for a long time.

And with kids to think about, then you have to consider their needs as well, nothing worse than leaving the escape to the last minute and driving through a storm with screaming kids and crapping yourself.

Good thing is that Carnarvon does not see a lot of full blown cyclones.

Just remember the old scouts motto, ""BE PREPARED""

Enjoy your time in Carnarvon, I will be there in July, September and driving through in October. We get our fresh supplies from the plantations. Hard to shop at Coles and Woolies after tasting the real fresh produce

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:22 pm

I've sat through cyclones in transportable buildings rocking against the chains holding them down - not fun!

The best bet is to listen to ABC local radio in whatever are you're in. They are the emergency broadcaster in cases of cyclones, fires, etc.

If you have a cyclone coming I'd recomend getting out. It's entirely possible to set your own van up to survive but can you trust that others nearby have secured all their loose belongings or are they going to smash into you?

Just throw your gear in, get down the road a bit, and then head back afterwards.

Remember that cyclones often loose intensity once they get inland, but do tend to drop a lot of rain. If you're considering heading inland away from a cyclone speak to a local to see if the road sufferes from flooding and gets cut-off.

Goes without saying that you should stick to/head for the bitumen!

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:46 pm

In 1987 we were caught in cyclone Illona, whilst working in Karratha. Fortunately we were one of only 3 caravans in the Roebourne caravan park that sustained no damage. We prepared our van as recomended by authorities but would not recomend staying in the path of a cyclone unless you absolutley have to. they can change course and intensity with very little warning. Beejay

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:05 pm

johnandtrin wrote:
Was just wondering for the seasoned/permanent travellers out there what do you do if you are in an area that has been forcast a cyclone/ is on a blue/yellow alert for a cyclone?
Do you prepare your van as best as you can,anchoring it down or do you hi tail it as far away from the area as possible?
Only asking as I am watching a cyclone brew off the WA coast,knowing that we will be in a cyclone prone area later this year.
I am not a risk taker esp when it comes to the safety of our young family.
Cheers
kat

No such thing as a silly question in my eyes - only the ones we never ask!

I'd secure the van as best as you can, pay particular attention to weather updates, pack a supply of food and clothes into your vehicle and be ready to leave the area well before the cyclone is due to hit.

The last thing you want to be doing when a cyclone hits is be driving your car so make sure if you decide to leave you allow plenty of time to head away from the area before the roads become too treacherous to drive on.

Cheers.

Mike

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next