View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 We should be OK!! 

Post We should be OK!!
Still only in our mid 50’s will be hitting the road in the next 12-18 months. But work should not be a issue. :mrgreen:
I left home at 14 and went into the shearing sheds for a while, the back to Brissy at 17 got a trade,(Electroplater and metal polisher, with a degree in industrial Chemistry)Then went driving road trains, and working in mines on plant and equipment for about 30 years, during which time I got my private Pilots licence. which is now upgrade to a commercial, I have about 1500 hrs flying time half of which is in twins . I also have about 12 different plant operators tickets. So I think we will be fine. just looking forward to stopping and smelling the roses. After so much time on the road you know where everything is but never had time to have a look. Well now is looking time, :mrgreen: :D
Cheers
Rat

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:03 am

Post Re: We should be OK!!
Rat,

Sounds good, you shouldn’t have much trouble picking up work with that experience.

Spent about 50 years in the aviation business myself, mostly on the maintenance side of things.

What twins are you endorsed on ?

SD

South East Coast Westoz

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:08 am

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop
I know some guys who are into shearing sheep, but shearing sheds is a new one on me :lol: :lol:

There’ll be lots of work for you out there, but remember you’re out there smelling the roses so don’t work too hard, enjoy.
Frank

BLOGS
http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com
http://thewesternadventure.blogspot.com/

Also member of Travellers chat

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Shaggy Dog wrote:
Rat,

Sounds good, you shouldn’t have much trouble picking up work with that experience.

Spent about 50 years in the aviation business myself, mostly on the maintenance side of things.

What twins are you endorsed on ?

SD

Hey mate.
GA7 Couger, Baron,dutchess, Comanchie CR,404,310, 414, and my fav of all the mighty Beach Duke, what a plane, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and I have 28 differant singles in the book :mrgreen:
Cheers
Rat

Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:38 am

Rat,

You sound like a collector of vintage aircraft endorsements.
The Baron would be the only one still in production. Most of those types ceased production in the very early 80s at the latest. Thirty years ago.
I first came across the Baron in ’64, they have certainly been around a long time. A fairly sound design.
The Duke it was said came with a bag of rocks for high ambient temp AUW take offs. These were handed out to bystanders to throw at it in the hope it might frighten the damn thing into flying. Some turbines fitted would have made it a nicer airplane.
The only Cessna 310 worth having about the shop was the R model, you could make a quid out of them.
There were a few good GA aircraft built back then but most were pretty average. The single engine performance of most of the piston engine twins was very marginal at auw.
The fact most of them are still flying has nothing to do with longevity it is down to the manufacturers ceasing to make anything similar due to costs and litigation around 1980. There is virtually nothing else on the market these days so all the old gear is being refurbished over and over again. I wouldn’t walk under most of it whilst it was in the air these days let alone fly in it.
Whilst I am no fan of flying, one airplane that did impress back a bit as a nice little toy, was the Cessna 425.

No I do not even look up these days when something waffles overhead, maybe a glance just to ensure it is not heading in my direction.

Take it easy.

SD

South East Coast Westoz

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:19 am

SD
Mate you sound like every LAME I have ever known :lol: :lol:
But you are correct most of them will take you safly to the seen of an accident with only one fan turning.
Also the Duke with full fuel and to fat pilots, on a 40+ deg day in Mt Isa does make the most of the TODA. :o
But they are all fun to fly.
But I must admit I am enjoying the new Cirrus glass cockpit. they are just a mini 737 inside.
But unlike you mate I am constently looking up :lol:
Can’t get enough of flying.
The misses is happy she recons I would never have time for a afair, to busy bloody fling :mrgreen:
Cheers
RAt

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:22 am

Just stay clear of me……… in my first solo landing I managed to bounce 12 times before finaly getting all wheels on the ground. :D :D

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Odzi,

Gotta say I greased it on the first solo, rare event, but that one was a good’n.

DHC 1 Chipmunk.

Throat mikes were the go. I can recall my instructor saying if I wanted to spew give him a yell. He wasn’t being considerate he just wanted to get his headset off in time as you could hear the chunder coming up the students throat. Bloody things made you gaggy in the first place.

SD

South East Coast Westoz

Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:32 pm

Shaggy Dog wrote:

Gotta say I greased it on the first solo, rare event, but that one was a good’n.

Yes, but have you managed to do so again :lol: :lol: :lol: ?

Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Odzi,

As I said, rare event.
I know my bum had a firm grip on the seat cushion, a seat belt was superfluous in hindsight. So to speak.

SD

South East Coast Westoz

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next