View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bull Bar movement 

Post Bull Bar movement
Hi TJM.

Can you pls assist. I recently purchased a bullbar for my 200 series Cruiser. I had a TJM bar on my last cruiser and was happy. However this bar has an unacceptable amount of movement. It goes one way when the body goes the other. Great for driving lights which go in a different direction to you when driving.
Movement appears at times to be more than 25mm.
I have emailed TJM head office 2 weeks ago and have not had a reply. It must be in the too hard basket.
Are you able to assist with an answer since your head office won't.

Regards

Paul

Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:16 pm

Post Re: Bull Bar movement
Hi Paul,
The bull bar is normally solidly mounted to the chassis (although there may be some collapsible points to allow for air bag compatibility), whereas the body is fixed to the chassis using mounts. If the bull bar appears to be firmly fixed, perhaps check out the body mounts on the car. Have no idea about the 200 series and whether they are solid or flexible (rubber) to isolate noise and vibration, but worth checking perhaps? What I am suggesting is that it's either the bull bar or the body which is moving - which one is it??
Cheers
Gerry

Sorry - just realised this was a specific question of Mr TJM... just trying to help eh...

Member VKS737 - mobile 3535

Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi Paul,
I mounted an ARB bar to my 100Series and it was supplied with corrugated like mounting brackets that you mount the bull bar on, and mount the bracket to the chassis. In the instructions it gave a distance the bar must be mounted from the body so it would not hit.

As said this is to not interfere with the air bag and safety belt tensioner operation.
It does look odd seeing the bull bar bouncing around.

TJM may be able to shed more light on the subject.

JR
:razz:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:55 pm

The bar is solid as a rock. Only happens when driving

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi I have a similar issue with my ARB steel bar on my 150 Prado. No movement until you start driving

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:01 am

Hi all, I think you will find it is not the bullbar moving it is the body of your vehicle as it is mounted on rubber blocks.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Yeah Prado's are "bad" for this too.

It's normally the body and you moving in relation to the bar. There might also be a slight amount of movement in the airbag safe mounts.

TJM don't answer questions here so I doubt they answer emails either.

One of many reasons we never use them at work, yet have spent 10's of thousands on accessories through a local ARB this year...

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:09 pm

I mounted my own genuine Prado Sovereign bar. They are absolutely solidly bolted to the Prado chassis with no independent movement possible. The attaching mounts are rigid box section with no compliance. The bar must have a minimum clearance between it and the body specified at 15mm to allow for relative movement without striking the body.

As already mentioned it is you and the body moving on rubber mounts in relation to the chassis so the perception is the bar moving relative to your eyes, and it does appear to move a great deal. There may also be some small movement higher frequency vibration (resonance) in the bar itself.

By the way, the Prado Sovereign bar mounts are presently subject to a recall due possible cracking in worst case rough usage. This has nothing to do with the apparent movement.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi again Paul,
If TJM use the same mounting system as my steel not alloy ARB bar I am sure you are not imagining things the bull bar moves a lot. I have had bull bars on all my 4WD’s and they moved with the rest of the vehicle but not this one it quivers all over the place.

Get under the vehicle and have a look at the way the bar is attached to the chassis it may give you some insight on why!

JR
:razz:

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:53 pm

Like Old techo I also mounted my sovereign bull bar onto my Prado with the help of a panel beater friend and my brother in law, it needed two of us just to hold it up whilst the third was bolting.
It is mounted solidly but does have some minor movement, which I think is unavoidable.
My Prado has recently been returned to Windsor Toyota to have the new brackets fitted and this has not made any difference.
As Old Techo said, the recall was for all Prados fitted with the sovereign bull bar as they were concerned that the original brackets could fracture under extreme conditions.
If you havent returned your Prado yet, I urge you to do so as when it comes times to resell, someone might ask if all recalls had been attended to.
If you are worried about taking it back because you fitted it yourself, take it to different dealer than normal and tell you bought it like that secondhand.
My local dealer did not ask and were very helpful and the job was done promptly.

Hank

Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next