Traveling on Gravel/Dirt Roads

No longer serviced by TJM but retained for reference and still open to members
Rolex

Post by Rolex » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:13 pm

I have a number of 4x4's down my bush block, one had never had a puncture but the others got many, the tyre pressure on the puncture free ute was 26psi so I changed all the others to 26psi and have had only one puncture in two years. saved me alot of work. This is for off road only.
I'm not ready to be a adult
The adventure begins where the tar ends.
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home... to ride off alone.
When the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road"

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:44 pm

delete

TJM 4WD

Post by TJM 4WD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:55 pm

The letting down of tyres is an age old question ... I do let my tyres down when I travel on dirt roads and sand ... It gives me a better ride and also gives me a slightly bigger footprint for driving ability. In the van i have a set of Staun tyre deflators to assist me with this. The 4wd is set to 25psi and the van is set to 35psi coming down from 40psi in the 4wd and 55psi in the van. I find that the van rides better and since i have done this in the van i have less things vibrating loose on the van in harsh conditions... If you contact one of our stores they can go through the Staun tyre deflation range with you... Makes life easier as the deflates the tyres to a set psi ...

Brad

4X4

Post by 4X4 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:19 pm

I agree with letting the tyres down, but a word of caution. When you reduce your tyre pressures, you also have to reduce your speed. If not, a lot of extra heat can be generated. Excessive heat will destroy a tyre quickly.
[size=167][color=Red][i]"Every Trip an Adventure"[/i][/color][/size]

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue May 04, 2010 10:43 am

I let mine down for VERY soft sand. The rest of the time I travel at about 70psi in my 3750kg Troopy.

Coming down to around 40psi generally gives me enough footprint extension in the soft stuff, however there is the very real chance of staking sidewalls in desert sand with sticks and roots - problems not found on the beach.

Staun deflators are good, but as mentioned by Mr TJM they're set for one pressure, requiring 2 sets if there are 2 different pressures in the combination, and twice the price.

barrie&cherie

travelling on dirt,and gravel roads

Post by barrie&cherie » Mon May 10, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi merrettdj i have jayco sterling 21/65 and run 40psi and have had no problems,and my 100 ser landcruiser petrol/gas on 35psi but first check on the sidewall of the tyre and check what it says nthe max pressure is for those tyres.

Return to “TJM”