View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dirt roads. Do we need an off roader 

Post Dirt roads. Do we need an off roader
Getting very confused. Wanting to purchase a van to do the big trip. Of course we will want to go on the odd dirt road to stay at certain locations. Some of the "Salesmen" are saying no vans will handle the corrugations on dirt roads unless they are "off roaders".
What is the story? which brands, which suspensions. Where do we go

Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:53 pm

Post vans
Donr
A decent chassis first up,full length,no half way crap.Decent springs.with shockies.A full van is my choice, pop tops are ok but full vans are stronger.I dont know where you come from,if you are anywhere near van parks go talk to people.I have a Galaxy series 4.
Agro

Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:38 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop
Generally the go is that if a standard car can do it so will a standard van, easy does it and let the tyre pressure down for the corrugations, very slow if need be, of course yu'll need to pump the tyres up again before doing highway speed, so you may need a compressor or drive slowly to the next servo.

BLOGS
http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com
http://thewesternadventure.blogspot.com/

Also member of Travellers chat

Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:43 pm

Agro is Right on the money,ypou definatley need a full length chassis from the towball right through both spring hangers and GROUND clearance as well.

YES,i know you said dirt roads but weve seen good dirt roads gradually deteriorate to horrible dirt roads needing ground clearance etc deep ruts etc etc [no not 4wd stuff].

NO half chassis etc you'll have major chassis repairs and nothing in the van shuts properly.

Cheers Rod

Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:53 pm

Thanks for the advice folks. Every little helps. DonR

Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:22 pm

Getting very confused. Wanting to purchase a van to do the big trip. Of course we will want to go on the odd dirt road to stay at certain locations. Some of the "Salesmen" are saying no vans will handle the corrugations on dirt roads unless they are "off roaders".
What is the story? which brands, which suspensions. Where do we go

G'day DonR,

As the old saying goes, "Don't believe everything you hear!"

I will be biased in my answer, we have a Concept Ascot with the Cross Pack on it, and it will go anywhere. Our last big trip was taking it all the way up to Cape York and back and it did it with out any problems (except for a blown tyre and rim).

On the Cape trip we took it along the Bloomfield track to Cooktown, and across the Battlecamp Rd to the Penninsular Developmental Rd (PDR) and up the Telegraph Bypass Rd to Loyalty Beach (Bamaga) and Back. This trip was done End of April through to June this year.

I agree with Frank and Brenda, "drive to the conditions" and all will be fine.

Ps. When travelling on dirt which can turn to mud at the slightest drop of rain, you also require good brakes on the van. Ours is a 16'Full van with Single axle and now weighs in at approx 1900kg (with the extras i fitted on it), and Concept Cross Pack has the 12" brakes as apposed to the 10" fitted to most vans. It is solid built and extremely easy to handle on the dirt.

Comming back down the PDR i blew and shredded a tyre and destroyed the rim from the drivers side of the van at 95kph on the dirt, and i didn't know as the vehicle suddenly slowed and i looked at the gauges on the dash and couldn't see any warnining lights so i looked in the side rearview mirror and then could see bits of tyre getting thrown up in the dust.

The van didn't sway one bit during this process.

The tyre had shreded and hooked the Park Brake cable and pulled both brakes on, stopping the van evenly.

The reason i believe the tyre blew was i hit a couple of large submereged rocks in a river crossing comming out of Chilli Beach, and this has weakend the sidewall and caused the tyre to heat up and disintegrate.

Anyhow my view, get a van that is capable to go on dirt roads (Not necessarily OFF road/Bushbashing) and drive to the conditions.

Cheers,

PeterM.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:49 pm

Post Premium Warranty's
G'day Don,

If you decide to buy an off roader, the general opinion is that Kedron & Bushtracker are the pick & are genuine off roaders.

Some good advice BEFORE purchasing a new van.

RULE 1 : Ask for a copy of dealers warranty agreement.

RULE 2 : If the name Premuim Warranty's appear in the agreement. Look out for big problems with warranty claims, they have an industry wide reputation for denying all reasonable claims.

The Recreational Vehicle Manufacturers Assoc' of Aust are well aware of Premium Warrantys shonky practices. Millard, Jayco & Mark Kratzman QLD, deal with Premium Warrantys !!!
Do so at your own peril !!!

See you 'round my campfire

Geoff & Bev

Patrol + Millard Horizon pop top

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:09 pm

G'day Don,

If you decide to buy an off roader, the general opinion is that Kedron & Bushtracker are the pick & are genuine off roaders.

Some good advice BEFORE purchasing a new van.

RULE 1 : Ask for a copy of dealers warranty agreement.

RULE 2 : If the name Premuim Warranty's appear in the agreement. Look out for big problems with warranty claims, they have an industry wide reputation for denying all reasonable claims.

The Recreational Vehicle Manufacturers Assoc' of Aust are well aware of Premium Warrantys shonky practices. Millard, Jayco & Mark Kratzman QLD, deal with Premium Warrantys !!!
Do so at your own peril !!!

See you 'round my campfire

Geoff & Bev

Patrol + Millard Horizon pop top

Hi,

Not looking for an argument, can you please provide a bit more info? To the best of my knowledge Jayco provide warranty through their dealer network. Are you suggesting it is otherwise.

Gary

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi,

Not looking for an argument, can you please provide a bit more info? To the best of my knowledge Jayco provide warranty through their dealer network. Are you suggesting it is otherwise.

Gary

Gary I was quoted that info from the RVMAA (03 9329 3706 ) Spoke to Mark !

Geoff

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:44 pm

Many thanks again for the latest postings. Taking it all in and will put all the advice to good use when deciding on the purchase. Don

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next