View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Dometic RMD 8555 AES 

Post Dometic RMD 8555 AES
We have one of these fridges in our new caravan (5 months old) it has not worked properly since we got the van Fridge 9-12 degree's Freezer 0 - -9 - Dept of Health Fridge 5 degree's and below Freezer - 15 and below and frozen solid. The book also states under a WARNING heading - do not store Medication in this fridge. We need diabetic and other medications stored in a fridge.

Now the book that came with the fridge clearly states the freezer is suitable for freezing ice cubes but not a suitable means of freezing food - Freezer is supposed to go to -12 degrees which is not food safe...we can't freeze meat or ice cream etc etc and the fridge is useless - milk is luke warm and on it goes.

Dometic, want to do little fixes to try and get it to work better - our argument is no because it is clearly stated it will not work as a deep freezer and we really can't understand why a fridge would be built that can't freeze food let alone put into a caravan and also why we were not told about it as we would never have bought the caravan had we known about this...we have filed a case through the Dept of Fair Trading and as no result was achieved there we now have to apply to NCat for a tribunal hearing...this is so ridiculous as we have been putting up with this for so long - our life is hell.

There are a huge amount of people having the same problems with these fridges and still they want to try little fixes to try and improve operation - we just want the fridge (RM 4805 AES) put into our van like we had in our Stirling for 7 years which worked perfectly and they refuse. We are supposed to be on a 5 year trip of a lifetime around Australia and we have been stuck for months trying to sort out our issues - this fridge being number 1. :(

Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:47 pm

Post Re: Dometic RMD 8555 AES
Sounds like you have bought yourself some problems, hope you get them sorted.
Keep taking the van back to the dealers, I think that will a pain though as you are apparently living in it.
Good luck.

Hank

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:02 am

Garry, I would be bypassing your dealer & trying to get in touch with Gerry Ryan at Jayco & I am sure he will get your problems sorted.....

Regards Neville......

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:32 am

Gary, I think it is all pretty straightforward.

According to Dometic your fridge has a climate class of SN. Refer here http://www2.dometic.com/ennz/Asia-Pacif ... taid=87834

If so, this at the lowest range is pathetic for Oz. The ratings are SN, N, ST and T. Their designed ambient temp min/max ranges are: SN = 10-32 Deg C. N = 16-32 Deg C. ST = 18-38 Deg C. T = 18-43 Deg C.

Clearly you need a T rated fridge.

In my view whether the fridge is faulty or not it is the responsibility of Jayco, not Dometic. You purchased the product (the van) from Jayco, not Dometic. Clearly the fridge is not fit for purpose and that is a basic consumer right. Start kicking down the door of Jayco, beginning with the dealer. In the middle of the holidays would be a good time to annoy the hell out of them.

Perhaps make up a large sign and stick it on your van - 'I bought this rubbish from Jayco' then take some pics and send it to them explaining your intended 5 year advertising trip around Oz. :twisted:

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:46 am

I agree, in essence, to OT. You hardly mention going back to the Dealer for a warranty claim..Did you do this? ...Or, as indicated, you do you not wish to replace your fridge with the same model which works properly. It appears that you are angling for a higher spec. fridge...Are you prepared to put in extra dinero to achieve this?.... I am not a fan of Jayco caravans but I have heard that they have, arguably, the best warranty P.R. service in the business..I find it very strange that they haven't come to the party.
I Might add that, from past experience, I found The service from Dometic appalling.

Jock :(

Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:15 am

Hi Gary,
I read somewhere that the rounded front fridge door fridges are not suitable for Australia but really did not see the merit in such a statement but maybe there is some truth in it. Maybe the rounded door fridges are not ‘T’ rated and not even ST rated.

I cannot understand why the caravan manufacture and Dometic would fit and sell fridges in Australia that cannot meet the standards. I expect this fridge is not ‘T’ rated and if it is then there are very big problems with the way it is installed.

I have attached part of the specifications on the RM 8555 and at 32 degrees ambient Dometic are quoting -12 degrees in the freezer and 7 degrees in the fridge which is just not good enough. It sounds like this fridge is rated as N which is only good to 32 degrees and by the sound of it not even that.

I know from my own experience that if a Dometic three way fridge is fitted correctly and is ‘T’ rate (good to 43 degrees ambient) it will perform quite well.

I would also be pushing for the RM4805 if you know it is a good performer, the only problem is will it fit?

P.S. while I was writing this post I had to go and have breakfast and now as usual OT was posted before me so I agree with his comments and also Jock’s its true Dometic are not good to deal with and Jayco are!

I notice OT has quoted the different fridge ratings so sounds and yours is SN just not good enough!

Attachment:
dometic.JPG

JR
:razz:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:41 am

Something went wrong when I was editing the above post and ended up with the same post again so I have deleted this post.
JR

Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:58 am

Hi JR,
My fridge has the rounded front door and it does have the T rating. Unfortunately I can't quote the model No. My van is stored at my Sons place. Next time I am over I will have a look. Unfortunatly this is no help to the OP. As already stated above it looks like the fridge is not fit for purpose. It's hard to beleive that Jayco would put a fridge with an SN rating in a van built for Australian conditions.
In fact I am disappointed that dometic would even supply them in Australia.
Sid

Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:59 am

Yes Sid, I thought the rounded door thing was a bit hard to swallow it’s all about the rating.

JR

Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:08 pm

I agree with Jocks comments re Jayco service. I have freinds that have purchased Vans from Brisbane Camperland. They set the benchmark for service. They have sent their van back for warenty service and say the service can't be faulted. I buy most of my caravan parts from there as well and find the service of the spare parts department very good.
Sid

Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next