View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 New fridge in new van not working 

Post New fridge in new van not working
Hi thought I would ask a question of u We have just bought a new van with a dometic RM4605 fridge. Problem being it won't run on 12volt or gas , I've checked all the taps for gas are open but fails to ignite, on 12 volt with car running and Anderson plug connected and in auto mode it only tries to use gas not 12 volt . 240 works well, any help would be gratefully received .
Regards Russell

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:25 am

Post Re: New fridge in new van not working
Someone here will come on soon and help you out, but in the meantime can you not take it back to the seller/manufacturer? Could you not ring them?
Where are you located?
glanyard

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:47 am

Russell, seems like it wasn't properly inspected and tested by your dealer.

Can't comment on gas but to auto-select 12 volts it must know that 12 volts is present. It does this by a sensing input wired out to your Anderson plug. If your 12 volt lights work in the van from the tug then the fridge is not wired properly.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:52 am

Hi Russell,
As OT said the fridge needs to see 12V but it is a separate 12V called the D+.

Firstly if it is trying to use gas when the engine is running the fridge is not seeing that the engine is running so the D+ wire is not connected or livening up.
These AES fridges need to have two 12V supplies plus another positive 12V called D+.
1. The big 12V from the Anderson plug is to run the fridge heating element this is the main supply.
2. The little 12V supply usually from the van 12V battery this is for the fridge electronics. This supply must always be available or the fridge will not work.
3. The D+ supply is used to tell the fridge the vehicle engine is running and the fridge can then use 12V. The D+ is a separate wire run from the tow vehicle to the fridge and usually looks at the vehicle alternator and if the D+ is outputting then the engine is running. Usually you can find a fuse or wire in the vehicle that only is livened when the engine is running to connect the D+ wire to.

Why the gas is not lighting is a mystery. The fridge should run on gas if it has gas has a spark and naturally the little 12V is available which it should be or it would not even work on 240V if the 12V was not there.
If you can hear the ticking noise from the spark it real sounds like there is no gas.

JR
:razz:

Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi Dubbo1, and welcome.
I can't say about electric things but as a plumber I would first of all disconnect the outlet side of the fridge gas line at the gas cock. I would do it with the gas tap off though, (handle crossways across the pipe) and then turn it on to see if the thing had a gas flow.
Then I would look closely at the undone pipe end to make sure it is not full of Hawkins paste or some idiot has used Teflon around the flair.
Both are illegal on compression fittings at the flare as it can block the line when done up tight.
I reckon it is electrical but that would ascertain if you have supply.

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:08 pm

Just one other point on the gas not lighting issue.

The warning indication light on the front of the fridge is simply an indication the gas has failed to light so is the fault light illuminating?

JR
:razz:

Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:08 pm

As it is a new van with an AES type fridge it is odds on that the fridge hasn't been wired correctly.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:17 pm

Thanks for all the help , I contacted the dealer today and voiced my concerns and problems ,luckily this Friday we are traveling to Cobram for 4nights so will call in so they can sort it Hopefully Thanks again for your support.

Russell

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]