Dometic fridge not working

No longer serviced by Dometic but retained for reference and still open to members
bev&vern

Re: Dometic fridge not working

Post by bev&vern » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:56 am

Just a question I would like to ask
If I can't get any satisfaction out of Dometic next week what would your thoughts be regards repair or replace.
Repair approx $1600.00 12 mth warranty. Replacing new $2600.00 to $2800.00 with 24 months warranty . Scratch & Dent $1800.00 12 months warranty
Also if replacing would it be the same manual switching or go Auto switching.
regards Vern
Vern & Bev. Retired
2011 25' Jayco Sterling OB with slideout bed
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 Z71 4x4

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:55 am

Vern, I would be putting all of my energy into seriously leaning on Dometic.

Is that price of $2600-2800 for a new one installed? Seems cheap as the sale price varies from $2700 to $3000 just to buy it.

Installation could be labour intensive as most fridges will not fit through the typical van door (as JR mentioned).

As for AES or not - I'm sure there are many AES lovers but not me. As a techo I hate too much reliance on automation. AES will select 240 volts, 12 volts or gas when it reckons it should. This is a more complex process and I don't trust complexity when it comes to a fridge keeping my tucker at a safe temp - not to mention the BEER. I wish to remain in control and tell the fridge what to do according to the circumstances I observe - not t'other way around.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

jock

Post by jock » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:07 am

Some years ago, Our Dometic fridge packed up while we were away in Cairns.....It was still under warranty and their agent up there..Kennedys, claimed that "it happens all the time" and that they get many every year during the tourist period..It was a faulty cooling unit. I got in touch with Dometic, when we got back, to complain that despite the frequency of the problem, Kennedys didn't carry any spares and that there was a 7 day delay to get a replacement....They told me that they cant dictate the amount of spare parts their agents should carry and that the spare part necessary for the replacement in my fridge was around $800.
I am very surprised that Dometic still have not fixed the problem.
If we were to buy another caravan now, I certainly would not have a dometic fridge installed....especially as it appears that they are not willing to fix a known and frequent problem with their product.
Would dearly like to see some sort of response to this, from Dometic, on this Forum and would respectfully request that admin. draw their attention to this thread in an effort to ellicit a response.

Jock :(

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:13 am

Hi Vern,
So is $1600.00 for a fitted new Dometic unit or a reconditioned unit?

Many years ago I had my old 90ltr Electrolux (Dometic) fridge refrigeration unit replaced (after 14years) for about $350 and a new fridge was probably double that. That was before we had ‘T’ rated fridges and after the replacement the fridge performed one to two degrees better.

Some will say go for an electric fridge but I think the newer ‘T’ rated fridges do the job well.
If you do go down the road of replacing the fridge with another I would recommend the fully automatic fridge. We have twice been camping on power and probably kids have pulled the lead out of the power pole and the fridge just switched over to gas by it-self.
When travelling it is very convenient to hook up and drive off and the fridge switches over to 12V fully auto.
If you do go auto you will need a D+ wire (activation wire when motor starts) run from the tow vehicle to the fridge to tell the fridge the tow vehicle motor is running and it is OK for the fridge to auto switch to 12V and same for when stopping.

I would pursue Dometic to the end as three years is just not on. If you do have a failed unit it would help if the fault could be located (could be a fault weld) as this may help your fight for justice. There may be some signs of discolouration on the pipes where the gas leaked out.
Talk to the fridge people and question have they seen many fridges like yours fail this early and have they any suggestions on how to get Dometic to come to the party.

If the company that dose the replacement has a good name you well may end up with a better fridge. I would ask if they have the required chemicals for ‘T’ rated fridges if it is a reconditioned unit. When my fridge was repaired I think the chemical mix was a bit different and the fitting and sealing of the unit was better than the original which all helped make for a better performer.

I think you still need a bit more info before you decide which way to go. The fridge should be overall like new (seals fittings) so if you went for a new fridge it would be to have the auto feature and possibly because the fridge repairer does not give you confidence or even Dometic may give you a very good deal to replace it.

Anyway if the worst comes to the worst and you decide to buy a new fridge I would go auto.

JR
:razz:

bev&vern

Post by bev&vern » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:21 pm

I need to clarify a couple of points . The reconditioned unit is they take out our fridge and recondition it.The pricing for the reconditioning is $1350 + GST for the cooling unit fitted to the fridge.Plus the cost of removing and re-installing the Fridge in the van.
All the other pricings that I have quoted are for the unit only not fitted.
I will be travelling down to Melbourne on Tuesday / Wednesday and intend to have a talk with Caravan Refrigeration Service to find out possable causes and if it is a common problem with this or similar units of around the same age. Then on to Dometic to see what they can do if anything about our problem fridge.
I thought that I would get a few opinions from others before l went to Melbourne
Regards Vern
Vern & Bev. Retired
2011 25' Jayco Sterling OB with slideout bed
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 Z71 4x4

bev&vern

Post by bev&vern » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:19 am

Just an update on our problem with the fridge
When I went down to Melbourne I had a talk to Caravan Refrigeration Services and asked what sort of service life should we expect out of the fridge. They told us we should expect at least 7 to 10 years service out of the fridge without problems
Caravan Refrigeration Services said that they would try contacting Dometic on my behalf. They sent my letter to Dometic asking if something could be done regarding the expenses of repairing our fridge last month. After a months wait I contacted Caravan refrigeration who contected Dometic and Dometic said they will reduce the price of the cooling unit. The cost now comes to $1045 +GST fully installed in the van with a 2 year warranty.
What are your thoughts
regards Vern

jock

Post by jock » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:23 am

IMO. If you are not willing to take legal action...then go for the repair at the price they quoted with the 2 year warranty and move on.
Dometic's record of P.R. is shameful but it's not worth any more stress..again..IMO.

Jock :neutral:

Return to “Dometic”