View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dometic pain 

Post Dometic pain
We have 3 Dometic products in our Galaxy caravan and have had trouble with all of them. First, roof top air con. Ever sine we had our van from brand new in 2011 every now and then the trip switch would go off. Had no idea what was causing it until one day the air con doodoo itself. So after replacing the circuit board ($675) in the aircon all was good but 6 months later it has doodoo itself again. Have to get it fixed again and Dometic had better do it for free!!! In between all that the fridge door shelves kept breaking. Expensive to buy new ones of those as well! Then the fridge door hinge at the top broke. (no we never travel on rough roads not even dirt ones) So lucky for us Dometic replaced the door out of warranty. And although small incident, the bracket on the end of the arm on our awning let go so it was just another annoying thing which we had to chase up to get fixed and no awning until it was. Next caravan, NO DOMETIC products!!!! Has anyone else had these problems?

Sat May 03, 2014 3:35 pm

Post Re: Dometic pain
Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Dometic products.
We have had a fairly good run with Dometic products. We did have a small fire in the back of our Dometic fridge about 14 months after we bought our van. Dometic replaced the fridge and damaged woodwork without question within two days of the fire. The cause was a missing support for the pilot light gas pipe.
Dometic also did a recall of that model fridge to ensure this did not occur again with that model fridge.
Sid

Sat May 03, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks Sid for your reply. I am glad they helped you as they did with our fridge door but the air con has cost us too much money. I hope they pay to fix it this time as we uses the original part as supplied by them

Sat May 03, 2014 5:38 pm

We are pleased to report that our Dometic air con had been invaded by pesky wasps while we left our van at Yamba for a few days between weekends. They had made the circuit board arc so that is why the trip switches went off. Never had these little scum bags in any other part of the van before except the od paper wasp nest hanging from underneath the van.

Mon May 12, 2014 2:59 pm

Some folks just don't get where Dometic is coming from. These are just some things we have learned over the years from forum members.

I reckon with these types of product there is not enough testing to see what works on the road.
The forward windows leak.

The front hatches come with a disclaimer and waste hole to the let the water out...Lets see a car maker get away with that one. A mates fridge catch broke in Tassie; not available any where, and over $50-00 if it was.
Fridge doesn't work, no problem we just pull it out into the van and need to get at some parts, bugger, we have to remove the door and frame to get the fridge out. Or.. we can just remove a window to get it out, your choice.

The much vaunted compressor actuated V220 toilets, you have one?.... Too bad we don't import them or the parts no more.
All spares are sold out.

Need O rings go to a bearing mob.The cost 50 cents each and Dometic charge $10-00 for them. Yes one 40 mm O ring.

If the cap to the tank gets lost no problem...just $ 50-00...Yep folks that is a cap similar to any plastic 20 litre drum for $50-00.
Just my view offcourse, others may disagree.... :)

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Thu May 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Dieseltojo you are so right!!! Spot on the money my friend. I think that caravan part suppliers think that we who own caravan have loads of money cos everything 'caravan' is double or triple the price or more for the same sort of things else where. Yep our 3 year old caravan front window started leaking about a year ago, next van wont have a front window!! Spoke to couple with a 12 month old Traveler, same thing, leaking front window! They were trading it in for a New Age, guess what, with NO front window. Get it right manufacturers!! Am sick of replacing and fixing stuff, the van itself is no problem its all the items that's added (fridge, air con, windows etc) that are not made by the caravans builders that fall to bits!! Oh and while I am at it, had to have a new gas regulator put on last week. Shall I tell you all the rest? No my wrist is hurting now from all the typing so may be another time! lol

Mon May 19, 2014 2:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]