View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Dometic Fridge Freezer Door Repair 

Post Dometic Fridge Freezer Door Repair
I have an RM2555 but there are a few models with the same freezer door. I explained how our freezer door failed in another thread.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15658

These doors are about $143 to buy which is not cheap and is very expensive considering the materials that the door is made of.

The construction of the pivot points for the door spring loaded pins is really quite light considering the force applied from the spring.
This repair would not be for everyone as I used stainless steel, silver solder and a 4” angle grinder with one of those very thin cutting wheels and a Dremel pencil grinder.

The door and bits:
Attachment:
Freezer door front view and bits.jpg

I decided to make the repair out of stainless to reduce the risk of corrosion and used some ¼” plate for the block with the cross and silver soldered it to some thin stainless sheeting which will give me something to screw through.

The end plastic broken bit I ground away with a pencil grinder (Dremel).
Attachment:
area ground away 1.jpg

Filled the area with Araldite and screwed in the new insert.
Attachment:
ready to go.jpg

I don’t think this will break as I have now moved the weak point to somewhere else.
Three hours work and a spare $143 to spend, probably on Zooper Doopers.

The hardest bit of the job is fitting the door back as some force is required to get it in place with those nylon pins push hard and at the same time load the spring. There is a method but still needs some force.

JR
:razz:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Post Re: Dometic Fridge Freezer Door Repair
Nice work JR.
Sid

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]