Have We Met You on the Road?

Chat to Rob & Marg during their trip around the block!
itchin to hitch
I’m new, be nice!

Re: Have We Met You on the Road?

Post by itchin to hitch » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:16 pm

We have been following your travels both magazine and dvd but are disappointed with your lack of detail. There is no info on travel times, fuel costs, road conditions. We were looking forward to finding out these things as part of our planning for 2011.
I understand your need to have advertising to fund this trip but, do you intend to supply more info about conditions and costs or is it just a travellog?

Rob & Marg
An old hand
Location: Oak Flats, NSW – when we’re not on the highways of Australia!

Post by Rob & Marg » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:43 pm

itchin to hitch wrote:We have been following your travels both magazine and dvd but are disappointed with your lack of detail. There is no info on travel times, fuel costs, road conditions. We were looking forward to finding out these things as part of our planning for 2011.
I understand your need to have advertising to fund this trip but, do you intend to supply more info about conditions and costs or is it just a travellog?
G’Day Itchin,

This has been a matter that we plan to address in greater detail at the end of the trip – giving an overall summary.
However I’m happy to provide some info for you now to help with your forward planning.
Basically I estimate that I’ll travel at 80kph between destinations. That allows for higher speeds along the open sections of road, travel through towns & other things such as road works. So when I know where I’m going – e.g. 300kms – I allow around the 3.5 – 4 hours.

It is impossible to provide forward info on road conditions as they can be subject to road works, weather and the like. Once again its a matter of doing some basic research on your destination. The C&M general forum is a good spot to get some of that info.

Fuel costs – vary from place to place ( and often hourly ), but generally I’ve found that the cost of diesel is averaging around the $1.50 to $1.70 mark. We have however paid over $2 in the more remote areas. Currently I’m getting it here at $1.40pltr

Food – well no different to what you pay for at home.

Finally van parks , again an average of around $30 – $35 a night ( powered site – 2 people ). Some parks charge more if in peak season, or are the only game in town. Discounts are available from the major van park chains.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rob

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:57 pm

We ran into Lorri and Les from the forum today!

We pulled into a service station in Esperance to fill up… and there they were, right at the next pump! It’s always great to meet someone from the forum.

We stopped and chatted for about half an hour (after pulling away from the pumps, of course!) and got some great tips on the Cape Le Grand area as well as Kalgoorlie/Boulder, where we’re headed next. (As well as a request from Lorri for “more girly stuff’ on the DVD… like fridges and washing machines and more recipes… less about tyres!” LOL)

Here’s the photo we got their son Tony to take: hot off the press (well, hot off PhotoBucket):

See you on the road again one day, Lorri and Les!

Cheers
Marg & Rob

Bushman
Avid poster

Post by Bushman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi Marg + Rob

probably not likely to me up with you while on your current trip, but when you return to Shellharbour, who knows, we quite offen get down there for weekend trips, so might just bump into you somewhere,
Michael
09 Pajero NT Di-D Auto
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (Now in tow)

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:51 pm

zzzzz

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:00 pm

Shaggy Dog wrote:Rob’n’Marg, The Shaggy Dog was wandering around town today, shopping at Bunnings, pity we missed you. Bit windy this arvo, typical Sou’easter experienced in the warmer weather. Enjoy the rest of your trip. SD
Shaggy,

Can’t believe we missed you!!! We almost called into Bunnings today, too… need a new 12v TV cable. Rob said he didn’t think they’d have one so we drove on by.

Are you an Esperance local or are you visiting?

Marg & Rob

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:01 pm

Pathie’n’Jayco wrote:Hi Marg + Rob probably not likely to me up with you while on your current trip, but when you return to Shellharbour, who knows, we quite offen get down there for weekend trips, so might just bump into you somewhere,
We’ll be back home for Christmas/most of Jan, so PM us if you’re there and we can meet up for a coffee!

Rob & Marg

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:11 pm

zzzzz

Bushman
Avid poster

Post by Bushman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Rob & Marg wrote:
Pathie’n’Jayco wrote:Hi Marg + Rob probably not likely to me up with you while on your current trip, but when you return to Shellharbour, who knows, we quite offen get down there for weekend trips, so might just bump into you somewhere,
We’ll be back home for Christmas/most of Jan, so PM us if you’re there and we can meet up for a coffee!

Rob & Marg
Thanks Marg, We’ll keep that in mind.
Michael
09 Pajero NT Di-D Auto
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (Now in tow)

Jeff&Cathy
Been here for a while

Post by Jeff&Cathy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi Rob & Marg, love the dvd’s and the way you guys work together. The out takes at the end of the dvd’s are fun to watch too.

Due to editing and production time frames I know that you may have well moved on by the time the dvd’s are out the in the public.

My question is where are you guys now? We are in Adelaide and I’d love to have a heads up on when you’re coming through. If it’s ok, I’m keen to know where you will be camping around Adelaide. Cathy (the one who must be obeyed) and I would love to catch up with you both for a chat, laugh and perhaps a drink, we don’t want to appear on the dvd, we’ve just been following your travels and we’d love to meet you.

If it’s better for you, please send me a private message,

Cheers,

Jeff

p.s. keep up the good work!
The bald nomad……………”now where was I going again?”
Tug – 2010 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0L TD Manual / Van – 2009 19’6″ Supreme Explorer (Executive) Tourer

Return to “Rob & Marg”