Marg’s Tech(nology) Tips – Computers & Gadgets

Chat to Rob & Marg during their trip around the block!
Rob & Marg
An old hand
Location: Oak Flats, NSW – when we’re not on the highways of Australia!

Re: Marg’s Tech(nology) Tips – Computers & Gadgets

Post by Rob & Marg » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:36 am

TheScotts wrote:
This seems to good to be true…do I just go to the Testra shop to get one and use it at home and away or can I use it just in the van and keep the other one I have at home? Thanks for any help or advice – Gary & Sheree
Hi Gary and Sheree,
You can use it at home and away. We were using it at home for six months before we started to travel; simply unplugged it, put it in the van and off we went. It just uses the NextG network, same as dongles and phones. Go to a Telstra shop and ask about it.
Cheers
Marg

TheScotts
Been here for a while

Post by TheScotts » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:19 pm

Thanks Marg, that’s an awesome idea…thanks for the info…I will be off to check that out.

Gary & Sheree :razz:
Gary & Sheree Scott
40th Ann 97 Landcruiser Petrol
2014 Jayco Silverline

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:37 pm

TheScotts wrote:Thanks Marg, that’s an awesome idea…thanks for the info…I will be off to check that out. Gary & Sheree :razz:
Just a quick note: I noticed a Telstra ad today that was promoting a new superfast dongle… they may even have something better than the Home Network Gateway that we bought: after all, ours is over a year old!
Marg

ashnwendy
On a roll

Post by ashnwendy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:25 am

[quote=”Rob & Marg”]There’s a good reason one of my nicknames is ‘GeekGirl’ (or Grandma Geek!) – I love my tech toys and software! Rob just sighs and rolls his eyes as he calculates the added weight of my laptop, pocket camera, backup hard drives, USB thumb drives, printer, iPad, Kindle and so on and so on…

Future DVDs will feature a new segment on “Marg’s Tech(nology) Tips” (couldn’t let Rob hog the Tech Tips, could I??? :-) If you want to ask any questions or tell me about neat new stuff, fire away!

[Note: I’m NOT an expert in information technology or computers… I just like playing with all these things.]

Hello again Marg,
Would you have any suggestions on where and how to store Movies/DVD’s?
More to the point….our C&M DVD’s!!!! as well as others ofcourse.
So we don’t have to take all the discs with us, saving space and weight etc.
One thing that’s greek to me is the storage bites on storage re computer,etc, specially the likes of DVD’s :confused: .

Hope your trip is wonderful, how much longer are you on the road? or are you perminent? I hope we get the chance to cross paths in the future……….we are 332 days to go!!!!!!! and counting!!!!!!! :lol:

Cheers Wendy

xina
Avid poster

Post by xina » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:46 pm

You’re just about my last hope Marg. One day, [ I had not changed any settings] my ‘puter just stopped showing me Pics. and only showing a box with a Red Cross in it ?

What has happened, and how can I fix it ?

Strangely enough it does not affect my Avatar.

Hope you can help.

Cheers,
xina.
An it harm none, do what you will.

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:34 am

ashnwendy wrote:
Rob & Marg wrote: Would you have any suggestions on where and how to store Movies/DVD’s? More to the point….our C&M DVD’s!!!! as well as others ofcourse.

Hope your trip is wonderful, how much longer are you on the road? or are you perminent? I hope we get the chance to cross paths in the future……….we are 332 days to go!!!!!!! and counting!!!!!!! :lol: [/color]
Cheers Wendy
Hi Wendy,
Re the first part of your question: I was talking to Keith at Happy Hour last night, and he says he has a great solution! He’s going to come onto the forum and explain all… so stay tuned…

Our trip is fantastic, and we are seeing so much that we’ve heard or read about for years. There’s lots to come back and re-visit, or keep until next time!

We’d love to catch up with you on the road sometime… those 332 days will go quicker than you expect: just you wait and see! Tell us when you’re on the road and where you are. We’re on the road until March doing the round-Australia trip, but after that we’ll keep travelling off and on to various places… do the usual ‘loops’ that most ‘vanners do, of varying lengths. It’s a great life.

Cheers
Marg

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:38 am

xina wrote:You’re just about my last hope Marg. One day, [ I had not changed any settings] my ‘puter just stopped showing me Pics. and only showing a box with a Red Cross in it ? What has happened, and how can I fix it ? Strangely enough it does not affect my Avatar. Hope you can help. Cheers, xina.
Hi Xina,

I can’t help too much without having your computer in front of me, but the usual reason for those boxes for the red cross in them is that the computer can’t find the location of the pictures. (Often on websites you’ll see a box with a red cross instead of a photo… this means that the picture that’s supposed to be there has either been moved from its original folder to somewhere else,or deleted, and so the original ‘path’ to the picture doesn’t work any more.)

It SOUNDS like this is what has happened in your case.

Have you moved pictures to a different folder recently? Or were they on a hard drive which is not currently plugged into the computer?

Cheers
Marg

ashnwendy
On a roll

Post by ashnwendy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:55 am

Rob & Marg wrote:
ashnwendy wrote:
Rob & Marg wrote: Would you have any suggestions on where and how to store Movies/DVD’s? More to the point….our C&M DVD’s!!!! as well as others ofcourse.

Hope your trip is wonderful, how much longer are you on the road? or are you perminent? I hope we get the chance to cross paths in the future……….we are 332 days to go!!!!!!! and counting!!!!!!! :lol: [/color]
Cheers Wendy
Hi Wendy,
Re the first part of your question: I was talking to Keith at Happy Hour last night, and he says he has a great solution! He’s going to come onto the forum and explain all… so stay tuned…

Our trip is fantastic, and we are seeing so much that we’ve heard or read about for years. There’s lots to come back and re-visit, or keep until next time!

We’d love to catch up with you on the road sometime… those 332 days will go quicker than you expect: just you wait and see! Tell us when you’re on the road and where you are. We’re on the road until March doing the round-Australia trip, but after that we’ll keep travelling off and on to various places… do the usual ‘loops’ that most ‘vanners do, of varying lengths. It’s a great life.

Cheers
Marg
Thank you Marg, I’ll look forward to that, I mean’t to say we have just bought a 2.5″ Slim External Hard Drive – 750gb…… so I’ll wait to get Kieth’s advise.
Which program to use for ease of finding it on there if that’s where he suggests to put it???

Yep! the days go by sooooo quickly and we have so much still to do to prepare for our new life as “Reborn Nomads” so much better than grey!!!!!!

Got an Auction of some of our stuff 27th Nov……….To get rid of the clutter before we put our house on the market in about August……….as Yep! . we are……were Hoarders!!!!! My dream was to open an Antique Store but with looking after my elderly Mum that never eventuated.
:shock: WOW! it all just blurts out!!! Sorry,,, too much info?
cheers & thanks Marg
Wendy

rodandsue
On a roll

Post by rodandsue » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi Marg
the answer to this :?: may be obvious for everyone else, bar me, hence why I ask :mrgreen:
We have a 6db (or 9 :confused: ) aerial for better access to NextG network via a patch lead on mobile for remote areas.

How does this apply for a NextG USB internet stick? I’m presuming where you get NextG for mobile,the same applies for the internet?

Does the USB stick have better NextG pick up in remote areas, or is there something else required for remote places???

thanks in advance for your reply
Sue

xina
Avid poster

Post by xina » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:24 pm

No Marg. What I mean is, I can’t see Pics that I post on forums, and that I can only see some Pics posted by others. As I said, I have changed no settings.

Going to try cut/paste.

Will not work.

Cheers,
xina.
An it harm none, do what you will.

Return to “Rob & Marg”