G’Day Everyone!

Chat to Rob & Marg during their trip around the block!
Lincoln 5
I’m new, be nice!

Re: G’Day Everyone!

Post by Lincoln 5 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:46 am

Reading this topic with much amusement…it brings back such lovely memories for me. I first encountered it, as I’m sure many other Mums & Grans did, with the “HEY YOU GUYS” from the band of Muppets on Sesame Street many years ago on the ABC Kids program. I know my sons, then my grand children played in the yard imitating the voice of Elmo or was it Grover, calling everyone to attention with “HEY YOU GUYS”…………such a long time ago now, my eldest son is 46 & my eldest grandchild is 16. I still use it as a come to the table call when we are altogether at Family gatherings, they all still remember it & indeed the parents of the grandies used it as well when enjoying the swings etc. in the local park.
Thanks Rob & Marg. for such a fabulous year of DVD’s, great reading & Tips & Tricks to enable all of us to enjoy our travels. Hope to meet you on the road sometime. You will have to consider making yourselves recognizable by having Rob & Marg or something like that on the back of the Van.
Safe & Happy Travelling
Regards to everyone
Rob & Barbara

nikowork
I’m new, be nice!

Post by nikowork » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:36 pm

Well done Guys,nice to see you both got back home ok.Caught up with the last mag and will assume that your last DVD is Episode 13.I sent away for DVD no3 as we were away,so we have the whole lot as reference when on the road.Gill and I have been away again since our Ayres Rock trip last October and ventured down the Qld/ NSW Coast as far as Port Maquarie.4 weeks visiting parks that we hadn’t stayed in before.Good Trip.We are just gearing up for a round trip of Auzzie ,as we have not been able to sell the house due to the market here on the Sunshine Coast and will rent it out, and wonder if you have a Total distance travelled and maybe a must stay list in the way of a route chart.Because we travel with a couple of dogs ,Nat parks are off-limits but we have no idea what sort of distance is involved other than RACQ,s distance around Australia i.e. 22,000ks approx.
Kind Regards
David & Gillian Nicholson
Sunshine Coast

Rob & Marg
An old hand
Location: Oak Flats, NSW – when we’re not on the highways of Australia!

Post by Rob & Marg » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:19 am

Lincoln 5 wrote: “HEY YOU GUYS”………..I still use it as a come to the table call when we are altogether at Family gatherings, they all still remember it & indeed the parents of the grandies used it as well when enjoying the swings etc. in the local park…. Thanks Rob & Marg. for such a fabulous year of DVD’s, great reading & Tips & Tricks to enable all of us to enjoy our travels. Hope to meet you on the road sometime. You will have to consider making yourselves recognizable by having Rob & Marg or something like that on the back of the Van. Safe & Happy Travelling Regards to everyone. Rob & Barbara
Hi Rob and Barbara,

Yes, you’re so right about those family catchphrases. There’s one that’s ‘stuck’ for years and we can’t seem to stop it… our second son couldn’t pronounce ‘breakfast’ for years, and always talked about what he was having for ‘breskwats’. To this day we still say things like ‘How about bacon and eggs for breskwats?’

Glad you enjoyed the DVDs. They’re certainly going to provide us with some great memories, and a wonderful record of our year going around Australia. Hadn’t thought about the names on the back of the van… but typical of our demographic, there are so many ‘Robs’ and ‘Margs’ around that there could well be a dozen other vans with the same names on the back!

Hope to see you on the road one day!

Cheers
Marg & Rob
Rob & Marg
Mazda BT50 & Royal Flair
http://www.margandrobcaravanning.com

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:28 am

nikowork wrote:Well done Guys,nice to see you both got back home ok.Caught up with the last mag and will assume that your last DVD is Episode 13.I sent away for DVD no3 as we were away,so we have the whole lot as reference when on the road.Gill and I have been away again since our Ayres Rock trip last October and ventured down the Qld/ NSW Coast as far as Port Maquarie.4 weeks visiting parks that we hadn’t stayed in before.Good Trip.We are just gearing up for a round trip of Auzzie ,as we have not been able to sell the house due to the market here on the Sunshine Coast and will rent it out, and wonder if you have a Total distance travelled and maybe a must stay list in the way of a route chart.Because we travel with a couple of dogs ,Nat parks are off-limits but we have no idea what sort of distance is involved other than RACQ,s distance around Australia i.e. 22,000ks approx.
Kind Regards
Sunshine Coast
Hi David & Gillian,

Sounds like you were lucky avoiding all the rain and floods that the Qld/NSW coastal areas have had over the past year – with more right now, by the look of it. We’ve lost count of the times Bellingen has been flooded.

Although there was no way we could visit ALL of the lovely spots to be found on the way around Australia in just 12 months, the DVDs do present a lot of them. The final DVD will be with issue #159, the Snowy, ACT and South Coast of NSW. The whole trip will also be summarised in the two special issues coming out in about 3 months’ time.

We’re about to put our house on the market, too, so we’ll see how it goes – time to downsize. If it doesn’t sell, I guess we’ll just stay put! The painters are in doing their thing as I type this, so if we end up staying in it, at least it will have been given a facelift!

I think we covered nearly 40,000 kms, but that would have included a few side trips. The ‘must stay’ list is a bit harder – we’ve noticed that people can have quite different ideas about what the nice places to stay are. What we liked, others might not… and vice versa. Also, if you like free camping, the route might be a bit different. As you say, National Parks are off the list if you’re travelling with pets, as are some caravan parks.

Hope you have a great trip when you start out. When do you plan to hit the road?

Cheers
Marg & Rob
Rob & Marg
Mazda BT50 & Royal Flair

nikowork
I’m new, be nice!

Post by nikowork » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Yes Marg and Rob,we have been very lucky with weather, on all our trips.We have resigned ourselves to fact that the R/E market is very slow everywhere with exceptions ie:W.A.The advice is rent out and take off,but means having to put everything in storage.Gill is in shock at the prospects ,as we have been here 16 years and wanted to downsize like you guys, On the other hand I can get organised very quickly and just go.Agent has said it doesn’t matter when we leave!If you sell, you could always look at a nice canal front home on the Sunshine Coast at the right price to use as a base, Ha!
40,000Ks WOW!will have to do my sums again.I was bu&^%*ed after 8000ks round trip to The Centre in 4 weeks in Oct,with the Patrol and Roma van chewing through $3000.00 in juice.Will look forward to the final DVD’s etc and may see you on the road.
All the Best
Sunshine Coast

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:17 pm

G’day again Dave & Gillian,

That 40,000km was basically the WHOLE trip, including initial shakedown and a run back home at Christmas from Renmark, approx 2000kms. With side trips you could work on around the 30,000km mark I’d reckon, but you wouldn’t have the van all that time I guess.

We did a lot of packing & throwing out before leaving home for the trip, but with the house now just about to go up for sale, we’ll have to do it all again. We’ll have to be ruthless :evil:
Cheers
Rob
Rob & Marg
Mazda BT50 & Royal Flair

snowycarter
On a roll

Post by snowycarter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:53 pm

hi rob and Mag
nice to read your latest blog it was a pity i wasnt here in town at Adaminaby when you were both here if and when you get back this way please let me know ide love to meet you guys.nice to here you met someone from your past here.did u go to the snowy cafe while in town im usely there all the time.hope you enjoyed the cafe/gallary in Dalgety i soon might have some photos hanging in there on show.rember back in march when i got my new forrester well i now need a new windscreen in it it only took a few months to get a nice crack in it
Regards
Rob

jeffsandra
Getting the hang of it

Post by jeffsandra » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi Marg & Rob

What have you missed the most on your trip? Did you rent your house or have a house sitter?

We are heading off next year for the 12 month loop, while I am keen will really miss the family and grand kids.

cheers and glad you enjoyed your trip, I would assume youa re almost home now?

sandie

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:18 pm

snowycarter wrote:hi rob and Mag
nice to read your latest blog it was a pity i wasnt here in town at Adaminaby when you were both here if and when you get back this way please let me know ide love to meet you guys.nice to here you met someone from your past here.did u go to the snowy cafe while in town im usely there all the time.hope you enjoyed the cafe/gallary in Dalgety i soon might have some photos hanging in there on show.rember back in march when i got my new forrester well i now need a new windscreen in it it only took a few months to get a nice crack in it
Regards Rob
Hi Rob,

Yes, we were disappointed to miss you… that’s one of the main reasons we called in! But it was good to see all the work you guys have been doing. Bad luck about the windscreen crack! Ain’t it always the way…

Marg & Rob
Rob & Marg
Mazda BT50 & Royal Flair

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:34 pm

jeffsandra wrote:Hi Marg & Rob… What have you missed the most on your trip? Did you rent your house or have a house sitter? We are heading off next year for the 12 month loop, while I am keen will really miss the family and grand kids. cheers and glad you enjoyed your trip, I would assume youa re almost home now? sandie
Hi Sandie,

Actually, we’ve been home for around three months now! We’ve been flat out getting our house ready for sale – we’re downsizing: we don’t need a house with four bedrooms, two bathrooms and three living areas (four if you count the outside area with the BBQ and deck). And we’re totally over STAIRS!!! The house was listed this week; we have an open house the day after tomorrow… so we’ll see how that goes.

I guess we’d have to say we missed our usual social group… friends and family; so I can see where you’re coming from. However, our eldest granddaughter flew to Airlie Beach to stay with us in the caravan for a week, and other friends flew across to Margaret River to join us for a few days… plus we flew home ourselves one weekend, and drove home for Christmas. So we did get our ‘fix’! And of course, we made up for missing friends and family by meeting soooo many great new people (we’re actually going to drive to Canberra in July to catch up with four of them!)

We rented our house (at a very preferential rental, of course :lol:) to one of our sons and his family; they moved out about five weeks ago. That was quite convenient because they needed only 3 bedrooms, so they left ours vacant – we stored a lot of stuff in it; plus it was a bed when we came home for Christmas.

Have fun on your 12-month loop! We’re sure you’ll have a ball. Like us, you’ll be thinking about all the places you want to go back to… and the ones you missed the first time around.

Cheers
Marg & Rob
Rob & Marg
Mazda BT50 & Royal Flair

Return to “Rob & Marg”