G’Day Everyone!

Chat to Rob & Marg during their trip around the block!
shenton1
Avid poster

Re: G’Day Everyone!

Post by shenton1 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:35 pm

I don’t want to be seen as a forum policeman here, but only one of the travellers in the DVD was a guy! Quote: “loved your work guys”. The other was a lady known as Marg,,,
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Navigator
2010 Crusader Manhattan

Rob & Marg
An old hand
Location: Oak Flats, NSW – when we’re not on the highways of Australia!

Post by Rob & Marg » Tue May 31, 2011 10:45 am

G’day Shacal,
Thank you both for your kind words about the DVD. We certainly enjoyed the trip & meeting a whole host of people all travelling about the place. You’ll have a great time out there when you do get onto the road.
As for the questions;
Kayaks. We didn’t use them a lot on the trip. Up north the crocodiles were bigger than the craft so we stayed on the land. Then as we travelled down the west coast, the strong prevailing winds made paddling conditions difficult so opportunities were limited. The Murray was in flood, so all we did was a guided tour in a sheltered billabong. All in all – I’d think seriously about taking them on a long trip again as we didn’t use them a lot, however if we travelled to one destination e.g. a lake or riverside, I’d load them on. If you are a very keen paddler I probably say take them with you.

The van performed very well, and apart from a fuse problem & an adjustment to the hot water setting all was fine.All appliances worked as they should. We had the van brakes & bearings serviced a bit over mid way through the trip. Overall we travelled a just on 40,000 kms for the trip, most of it on black top. Any “off-road” stuff was done on well formed dirt roads. The van is quite capable of travelling on unsealed roads, just make sure what the terrain has in store.
We are more than happy to answer any questions you may have, if we can’t we’ll try and point you in the right direction for the answer.
Cheers
Rob
Rob & Marg
Mazda BT50 & Royal Flair
http://www.margandrobcaravanning.com

Tony48
An old hand

Post by Tony48 » Tue May 31, 2011 6:55 pm

shenton1 wrote:I don’t want to be seen as a forum policeman here, but only one of the travellers in the DVD was a guy! Quote: “loved your work guys”. The other was a lady known as Marg,,,
I use the term “Guys” often.
I think it is an aussie colloquialism (if that is the right description).

Used in the right concept “Guys” in my opinion can be A sexual.
Just my thoughts Guys.
Comments made by me (Tony) are not necessarily those of the Management (Lorraine).
Tony & Lorraine
2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 turbo diesel. Chip & exhaust.
2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Tue May 31, 2011 7:04 pm

Tony, nope…. not an Aussie invention.

In my mind the expression ‘you guys’ was introduced by Dick van Dyke in his TV show about 50 years ago. Naturally it flowed on to here. I always thought, and still do, it was a weird and pointless expression. Despite this I do use it sometimes… but still feel it aint quite right. Perhaps only DvD knows the real story. :?:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

shenton1
Avid poster

Post by shenton1 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:08 pm

Tony48 wrote:
shenton1 wrote:I don’t want to be seen as a forum policeman here, but only one of the travellers in the DVD was a guy! Quote: “loved your work guys”. The other was a lady known as Marg,,,
I think it is an aussie colloquialism (if that is the right description).

Used in the right concept “Guys” in my opinion can be A sexual.
Just my thoughts Guys.
Tony,
Would your wife/partner not take offence at being called a guy???? :?:
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Navigator
2010 Crusader Manhattan

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:06 am

shenton1 wrote:
Tony48 wrote:
I think it is an aussie colloquialism (if that is the right description).Used in the right concept “Guys” in my opinion can be A sexual.Just my thoughts Guys.
Tony, Would your wife/partner not take offence at being called a guy???? :?:
Hi all,

(Notice that I have, on this occasion, refrained from saying “Hi Guys” even though I do use it quite a bit….)

Yes, I have to put my hand up and say that I, too, use ‘Hi Guys’ as a catch-all expression meaning ‘hi everyone’. Rob, on the other hand, says neither ‘hi’ nor ‘guys’ – not because he’s being politically correct, but simoly because he’s grown up saying ‘G’day’ and ‘blokes’.

Language is in a constant state of flux, and common usage often dictates what is acceptable. These days, I think many people just take it for granted that ‘hi guys’ or ‘hey guys’ applies to both male and female.

I did a quick check on my email inbox (shamefully up over a thousand.. when am I going to learn to clear it?) and found plenty of emails sent both FROM me and TO me with the salutation ‘Hi Guys…’

Cheers
Marg :-)
Rob & Marg
Mazda BT50 & Royal Flair

Tony48
An old hand

Post by Tony48 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:21 pm

You are correct OT, as usual. :roll:

Hi Shenton1,
The term used was “Guys” plural.
Used to address a group.(2 or more).
Obviously would not be used singularly.

Management and I refer to each other often as “Mate”, and consider ourselves “best mates”.
Not quite the same I know.
Just the way I see it, maaaate. :lol:
Comments made by me (Tony) are not necessarily those of the Management (Lorraine).
Tony & Lorraine
2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 turbo diesel. Chip & exhaust.
2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

helter55
I’m new, be nice!

Post by helter55 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:10 am

Hi Rob and Marg,
Love watching your great adventures , my husband John and I are hoping to join all the rest of the wonderful people out there on the land in the not to distant future. We have started our quest with our new Isuzu D max we picked it up 2 weeks ago,” John’s little pride and joy” anyhow thank you for all your wonderful updates.
Regards John and Helen

john1873
I’m new, be nice!

Post by john1873 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:17 pm

Rob & Marg wrote:
Smokeydk wrote:It was a pleasure watching your DVDs…so inspiring to get out there and see what you did. Thankyou both. Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind words! The trip was an amazing experience, and we loved seeing so much of Australia and meeting so many great people. And of course, we now have so many places to revisit – or to add to our agenda!

Enjoy your own travels. Hope we see you on the road!

Cheers
Marg & Rob

hi rob and marg

john and ginny here
thanks for the dvd series it has been great watching you wind your way
around aus it has given us so many ideas
when you say so many places to revisit does this mean we will have the pleasure of watching another series of dvd’s with you as presenter ???

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:56 am

G’day there John & Ginny,

We are glad you liked the dvd and magazine articles and thanks for your kind words. At this stage, we don’t plan to continue presenting DVD’s as the contract we had with C& M only went for 12 months. There are a couple of DVDs and articles still in the pipeliine, including a wrap up of the trip & our favourites. They’ll be published over the next 3 months or so.
Currently we are back here at home ( Shellharbour NSW), and in the throes of selling our home to relocate to something more appropriate for us now all the family have grown up & left us “empty nesters”.
It was a one off opportunity to do the trip, so we’ll slowly fade off into the sunset. The plan of course is to keep travelling and see a lot of those places we either briefly visited or missed this time round. We are keeping a blog as well now, so feel free to pop in there and have a look from time to time.
Cheers
Rob & Marg
Rob & Marg
Mazda BT50 & Royal Flair

Return to “Rob & Marg”