G’Day Everyone!

Chat to Rob & Marg during their trip around the block!
Rob & Marg
An old hand
Location: Oak Flats, NSW – when we’re not on the highways of Australia!

Re: G’Day Everyone!

Post by Rob & Marg » Sun May 01, 2011 9:12 am

Smokeydk wrote:It was a pleasure watching your DVDs…so inspiring to get out there and see what you did. Thankyou both. Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind words! The trip was an amazing experience, and we loved seeing so much of Australia and meeting so many great people. And of course, we now have so many places to revisit – or to add to our agenda!

Enjoy your own travels. Hope we see you on the road!

Cheers
Marg & Rob

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Sun May 01, 2011 9:19 am

Geoff.Regent wrote:Goodday Rob & Marg, Been a while since I posted in, but see from above that you are home safe & sound ! Enjoyed all your DVD,s, so thanks to you both. Its good to get a “fix” of ‘vanning when you are still at work. Like my wife & I after our 2005 -round the block- we still relive the experiences all the time ! After a few months at home bet you get itchy feet ( or should that be wheels) to go again ! Thats again, & best wishes to you both.
Hi Geoff,

Right now we’re enjoying being back home connecting with family and friends, but we’re still in contact with a lot of the people we met on the way around – this was a real bonus: not only the great places we’ve seen, but the hundreds of interesting and likeable people we’ve met. We know we’ll be in touch with many of them for years to come.

Currently we’re looking at our photos and deciding what to do with them. A photo book? Collages for the wall, maybe some printed on canvas? Hmmm. Decisions, decisions! But we’ve got plenty of time to work it out.

I can see that we’ll be keen to get back out on the road before too long. As long as our health holds out, we’ll be travelling for a long time yet.

When do you expect to be travelling again? Is retirement on the horizon?

Cheers
Marg & Rob
Rob & Marg
Mazda BT50 & Royal Flair
http://www.margandrobcaravanning.com

Les and Nev
Confident

Post by Les and Nev » Mon May 02, 2011 7:17 am

Hi Marg and Rob
I loved keeping tabs on your trip, and seeing some dvds.Looks like you really had a ball. Nev and I are planning our trip at the moment, going to be full timers.!!! Cant wait. cheers, Les and Nev.
Les and Nev
LAND CRUISER 100 series
CRUSADER INSPIRATION

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Mon May 02, 2011 6:42 pm

Les and Nev wrote:Hi Marg and Rob
I loved keeping tabs on your trip, and seeing some dvds.Looks like you really had a ball. Nev and I are planning our trip at the moment, going to be full timers.!!! Cant wait. cheers, Les and Nev.
Hi Les & Nev,

Yep, we had some great times! It’s so exciting planning a trip, isn’t it? When do you set off?

Marg & Rob

LeeVin
On a roll

Post by LeeVin » Mon May 02, 2011 10:14 pm

Home safely, that’s great.
Thanks for the ride.
All the best & take care.
Robert & Karen.

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Sun May 08, 2011 5:52 pm

LeeVin wrote:Home safely, that’s great. Thanks for the ride. All the best & take care.
Robert & Karen.
Thanks Robert & Karen! After being at home nearly a month now (unbelievable!!!) we’ve just about settled in. But of course we still talk caravanning, and our heads swivel every time a caravan drives past on the road… once a vanner, always a vanner!

Hope to see you on the road sometime. :-)
Cheers
Marg & Rob
Rob & Marg
Mazda BT50 & Royal Flair

GeoffC
An old hand

Post by GeoffC » Mon May 23, 2011 11:08 pm

Evening Rob & Marg from a damp/wet/windy Adelaide
I sort of got a bone n a pick with you both and it sort of goes like this.
You leave Whyalla and you next pop up at Portland to me you have missed some of SA top tourist areas either via the coast (Coorong) road or via the centre via Padthaway (wines) Naracoorte (caves and wines) Coonawarra (wines) to Mount Gambier where there is so much to do and see.
You would have been able to visit Port MacDonnell and Dingly Dell and learn about a great Australian horseman and poet “Adam Lindsay Gordon”
as well as veiw the Tantanoola caves as well as the Princes Margeret Ross Caves near Nelson which is only a stones throw from Portland
Any way that my opinion
regards and safe travels
Geoff Chatfield

Rob & Marg
An old hand

Post by Rob & Marg » Tue May 24, 2011 8:25 am

G’day Geoff,

You raise an issue that has been the subject of several letters & emails to the magazine editors and posting this forum. For the sake of brevity I’ll make a few comments to let you and others basically know how it worked.
• Australia is a big place & it’s not possible to cover all areas in an allotted time frame.
• There was a 12 month travel time allotted.
• Magazine editors wanted to visit 12 destinations that had wide public appeal
• Individual activities were scheduled at destinations – these activities required actions prior to film crews & ourselves arrival, including; local authority approvals, Government licenses, personnel availability, activity planning and transport. All required to be locked in place in the initial planning phases and could not be easily altered.
• Our role was to present each episode and participate in as many activities as possible at each destination.
• Apart from general discussions on daily filming activities, the schedule was pre organised and not planned by ourselves.

Unfortunately these issues did not allow the crew & us to visit every popular destination during the trip. Places that we didn’t get to visit and are definably on Marg’s & my personal call back list include; Pilbara region WA, Tasmania, Fleurieu Peninsula SA, McDonnell Ranges, Gippsland Vic, and Western NSW ( our home State) just to name a few.

Before the film crew arrived we did visit Mt Gambier and Blue Lake while we were based at Portland and had a brief look around there. By chance we came across a couple who we had earlier met on our trip, up at Airlie Beach. Meeting people along the way was certainly the highlight for us both on this trip and although we didn’t get to see lots of places, we more than made up for it by meeting many wonderful, happy and content travellers along the way.

Cheers
Rob & Marg
Rob & Marg
Mazda BT50 & Royal Flair

hank
Cracked the big time

Post by hank » Tue May 24, 2011 8:37 am

I have been following your travels myself and wondered why some very interesting areas were missed, like Mt Gambier which we visited on a trip from our home to Broken Hill, then onto Adelaide and followed the coast back home.
I also know how difficult it must be to be travelling on which must have been a really tight schedule.
I bet you are keen as anything to get back on the road and do some trips on your own time, without the pressure of recording etc.
We have enjoyed your travels and we are certainly planning to viskit some of the places you went to.
Happy travels.

Hank
Hank and Sue
2012 Prado GXL 3L Turbo Diesel
2010 Royal Flair 21ft Designer series

Shacal
I’m new, be nice!

Post by Shacal » Mon May 30, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi Marg and Rob,

I just want to say what a pleasure it has been watching your adventures. My wife actually refuses to watch the DVD’s now, it make her so jealous she starts talking about selling up and going.
I have a couple questions,
1. You took your kayaks on your tow vehicle, if and when we decide to do the lap I was considering doing the same, but in your opinion is it worth it, I’m not sure how much use yours got, so im curious to what you think.
2. How did the van fair (aside from your lil accident?)? How much of your trip did the van spend off the black tar?

Like I said loved your work guys, we to dream of doing the same, not close to it yet, want to be financially secure before hand, we dont want to work our way around Australia, just kick back and enjoy it more so. Thanks for taking time to read this, I may have other questions but if not thank you again, my wife and I really enjoy watching your travels,

Calvin Gleeson

Return to “Rob & Marg”