Caravan Clubs – good idea, or no?

Are you a member of a club? Tell us all about it!
pinkpetunia
Confident

Re: Caravan Clubs – good idea, or no?

Post by pinkpetunia » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:26 pm

Wow folks – now including Old Techo, Jock & TeddyGQ
Okay, you have successfully convinced me not to join a club – sounds as though it would be way too regimented, formal, and far too BOSSY for us. Stress is something we hopefully left behind in our employed life and I think we will probably create our own stressful moments just learning the ropes of travelling with our holiday home on wheels – plus pooch!
TeddyGQ – I hope we don’t have as much trouble with our new stuff as you have experienced but if we do I know where to go for advice. You are a funny man!
Old Techo – I like you, even if you do call yourself “a tad antisocial”. No prob with that at all and I also like anyone who walks to the beat of their own drum.
Jock – I am definitely not into ‘styles’ of anything, including some who might think they are superior due to the size of their van.

Actually on re-reading all your comments I would love to park next to anyone of you anywhere. At least we would all enjoy our own merriment. From a newcomer your advice is fabulous – and I am sure we will stuff up lots of times on the road to wisdom.

And lastly to Frank – I do like the sound of your Crystal Brook UWE GM after next Easter. Thanks for the info!
Marion

Motherhen
Cracked the big time

Post by Motherhen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:58 pm

Forums are like a club; friends we meet before me meet them. When we set out on our first ‘big’ trip – to Tasmania – we had invitations to stay with friends in every state we went through. These friends once met have become friends for life.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

TeddyGQ
Avid poster
Location: Shepparton, VIC 2004 7.3 litre F250 Supercab Ute. Supreme Elite 23’6

Post by TeddyGQ » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:16 pm

pinkpetunia. I am in your boat. Parking next to Oldtecho and Jock sounds like a very enjoyable couple of weeks. We couldn’t just make a weekend of it. It’s not that I have had problems. It is, I assume, normal things that happen to a van that is now 6 1/2 years old. Been a really interesting and joyful part of my life and I love doing and learning new things so all good.
Main thing. Enjoy it out here. Absolutely the best thing I have done. The freedom we have is beautiful.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:59 pm

TeddyGQ wrote:pinkpetunia. I am in your boat. Parking next to Oldtecho and Jock sounds like a very enjoyable couple of weeks.
Thank you PP and Teddy for your kind words :oops:

Yes, on a good day I can be a bit of neighbourly value but Jock is always the star. After a wee dram too many he eventually entertains all by vigorously swinging his kilt over his head and draws all of the attention. I don’t mind this at all as I prefer the anonymity and I can quietly and without observation slip back under my rock ;-)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Old Techo wrote:
TeddyGQ wrote:pinkpetunia. I am in your boat. Parking next to Oldtecho and Jock sounds like a very enjoyable couple of weeks.

Yes, on a good day I can be a bit of neighbourly value but Jock is always the star. After a wee dram too many he eventually entertains all by vigorously swinging his kilt over his head and draws all of the attention. I don’t mind this at all as I prefer the anonymity and I can quietly and without observation slip back under my rock ;-)
Now that would be something to see… :)
Hey Jock….”dinna ya tilt ya kilt at me laddie.”
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

jock
Rising star

Post by jock » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:13 am

dieseltojo wrote:
Old Techo wrote:

Now that would be something to see… :)
Hey Jock….”dinna ya tilt ya kilt at me laddie.”
Jealousy is a curse you guys…..If you’ve got it..Flaunt it!! Geez! parking next to me and OT would be one extreme to the other. I mean I have extreme Technophobia but make up for it with a wonderful personality, good looks, always willing to share my grog and, generally, all round Mr. Nice guy.
O.T. on the other hand..great on Tech. stuff but an absolute miseryguts, antisocial and probably a wowser…If you should ever have the misfortune to camp near him..get out before it’s too late.!!!!

Sorry to go off topic but it wasn’t my fault :roll:

Jock ;-)

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:07 pm

I see Jock is on to me :mrgreen:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

ALAN1963
Avid poster

Post by ALAN1963 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:20 pm

I sort of feel like in a club it becomes a guilt trip if you don’t support certain pet activities. And then it becomes a chore.
Happy hours turn into contests, the work to organise events become the, “always same persons” effort and you never cease hearing about it. And lets face it it is hard work to run a club., you always find the need to contribute.
I absolutely hate the dress up affairs I have seen and whilst is it may be fun for the gregarious members, it’s not for every one.
I reckon try a few and see how you like it.The less formal the less planning the better.
I like to just go roving to a designated spot and every one can either pal up or do there own thing.
I find travelling with one or two folks is the best system. :)

These are comments by Diesel and I totally agree.
I/we have been in a caravan club for the past few years… but not for much longer. We joined as a reason to use the caravan but I guess we are just not caravan club types. Also if you go infrequently it’s always like you are the newbies.
They don’t work so well if you still work…get there last, worst leftover sites, have to leave to do chores at home before work next day etc etc. I guess if we enjoyed it more then it would be more attractive to stay but hard to motivate one self to go when it is a negative feeling.
Also they seem to be quite factional and largely a sense of one upmanship seems to prevail.

Cheers AL

jenicbell
Confident

Post by jenicbell » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:11 am

Hi,

This has been a very interesting discussion. We’re really glad to have joined C and M and have classed this as a ‘Caravan Club’ – yes, we know forum.

We have asked questions, received help and explanations and have been very thankful for the time and input of members.

We have wondered about joining a conventional caravan club – but as discussed by others here, we are in a way loners. We enjoy happy hour, or at least did the one and only time we went somewhere where we were not known – lol.

But, we decided that we liked doing whatever we wanted to do, whenever we wanted without any explanations.

This discussion has really confirmed our line of thinking. After all, not many people are into quilting, antiques etc and we really like each others company.

Regards,

Jenni & Ivan – Portland, Vic

Smokeydk
An old hand

Post by Smokeydk » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:35 pm

What I’ve asked most Clubs is what do you get for the money you pay each year to be members……far as I can see………..nothing you cant do if not a member……….as Frank said……Group get togethers are the best for of club there is….and its FREE!!!!
Just get out there and enjoy

My Blog .. http://smokeydk.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “Club Chat”