Caravan Clubs – good idea, or no?

Are you a member of a club? Tell us all about it!
pinkpetunia
Confident

Caravan Clubs – good idea, or no?

Post by pinkpetunia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi everyone
Should have had our new van by this but apparently there has been a delay in production – problem with getting windows! Was reassured by the company at Caravan and Camping show in Adelaide last weekend that it was only a two week delay and the salesman we spoke to would definitely phone us yesterday (Tues) with updated information – but (sigh) have not heard anything from them and Wednesday is now over too. It seems a looooooong time since we chose our van last February.
While we are waiting I have been sussing out caravan clubs. I contacted the Campervan & Motorhome Club of Aust (the one that is always promoted in this mag) but discovered it seems to be quite an elite club and was advised that it was originally set up for owners of motorhomes. As we will be caravan owners there would be restrictions on attending rallies if we joined their club – so I didn’t go any further with that. I then contacted the most helpful secretary of the Caravan Club of Australia and he advised me that we were definitely eligible to join up if we wished.
I would like to know if anyone is a member of/or can recommend a good caravan club in South Australia.
Lastly, still being ‘not quite there yet’ are caravan clubs a good idea?
Any replies greatly appreciated! Many thanks.
Marion
Marion

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop

Re: Caravan Clubs – good idea, or no?

Post by Frank & Brenda » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:56 pm

G’day Marion,
I have thought of joining a club but have so far put it off.
You’ll get 3 answers to this,
1. yes they are worth it (by those who belong to a club)

2. No don’t bother (by those who have no interest)

3. it’s up to you (by people like me :D )

It really depends on what you are after, I believe the some clubs let you join in on one or 2 rallies to see if it is for you, I suggest you find one of those clubs and see if it does suit you, most people who I have spoken to who belong to a club seem to enjoy the camaraderie.

why have we not joined one, well with 2 kids and spouses who live close by and 7 grandchildren, life is busy, so we haven’t had the time yet

Frank

Motherhen
Cracked the big time

Post by Motherhen » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi Pink Petunia

Very much an individual choice.

A caravan club may be a good way for starting out, by going on group outings until you gain confidence and learn about the workings of caravans. It really does suit some people for a variety of reasons.

There are different clubs for different areas of interest, including young families, social gatherings at a venue, going on tour, four wheel driving adventurers and other areas of interest. Some have limited numbers and new members can on leave when a vacancy occurs.

For us we have a caravan so we can get out of towns and away from the crowds.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:09 am

I sort of feel like in a club it becomes a guilt trip if you don’t support certain pet activities. And then it becomes a chore.
Happy hours turn into contests, the work to organise events become the, “always same persons” effort and you never cease hearing about it. And lets face it it is hard work to run a club., you always find the need to contribute.
I absolutely hate the dress up affairs I have seen and whilst is it may be fun for the gregarious members, it’s not for every one.
I reckon try a few and see how you like it.The less formal the less planning the better.
I like to just go roving to a designated spot and every one can either pal up or do there own thing.
I find travelling with one or two folks is the best system. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Motherhen
Cracked the big time

Post by Motherhen » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:46 pm

dieseltojo wrote:I find travelling with one or two folks is the best system
Yes, He and Me 8-)

Even then we are not always in agreement, but it is easy to accommodate each other’s interests. We get to choose what we do and see, when we feel like it.

Caravan group camping events are social rather than sightseeing. Both aspects have their place in our lives.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

pinkpetunia
Confident

Post by pinkpetunia » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:59 pm

Ddar Frank, Motherhen, and Dieseltojo
Thanks for all your replies and personal thoughts on the pros and cons of caravan clubs. I loved them!
Motherhen provided nice helpful insight and made me question if my reason about looking into joining a club is because we have no experience on this new lifestyle yet.
I really got a giggle out of Frank’s and Paul’s detailed stories, your pure honesty on the subject had me rolling around. I suspect dear old Dieseltojo has a touch of the cynic in him as well as the comic.
You all make me feel as though I belong to a nice group just here on the forum. Perhaps this is all I need after all.
Thanks again guys!
Marion

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:49 pm

G’day PP,

I doubt that I can add anything of value. I am anti-club because I am a tad anti-social. As MH stated, she and me is enough and at times more than enough.

I don’t like moving to somebody else’s drumbeat or being told what to do. Any club must have some formal aspects to be successful. I reckon formality in almost all aspects of life is a thing to be avoided. DT covered it well. Some must always ‘put in’ to make a club work and after decades of work and considerable responsibility I have no desire to feel obligated to ‘put in’ to anything now that I’m retired.

So despite whatever any club may have to offer the commitment price is always too high for me. Go it alone :)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:13 pm

Marion,
Every year a group of us get together for a UWE (Unplanned Week End) so called because if someone plans it, they are responsible and in these days of litigation no one want to be responsible.
we get together at Crystal Brook caravan park and it is a stress free week end
a few things are organised such as breakfasts and some main meals which are catered, we all pay for the meal and all money raised goes to the RFDS, and one meal is a shared meal “bring a plate”
we also have an auction of goods donated by those who attend (and some who don’t) usually the items are to do with caravanning and some are new but most are 2nd hand items no longer used by those who donate
last year we raised nearly $600 and we had a great time, Paul and Trudy (dieseltojo) were there

During the day you do what ever you want to E.G. have a look around town, go to Pirie or whhat ever, then we get together for happy hour and enjoy

the next UWE is The G.M. w e will be held once again after Easter 2015 17/4/15 to 19/4/15

A couple of years ago we decided to call the weekend the Groovy Memorial WE, Groovy (Greg) was the main Admin of caravanners forum and it was he and Mick themungrel who planned the first week end at Crystal Brook.

Most of the other attendees are from another forum (a few of them are on here as well) and if you are interested please have a look at
http://travellerschat.proboards.com/thr … 17th-april

the week end is the middle weekend of the school holidays (everyear the 2nd weekend after Easter)

The week end is open to ALL (members from 3 forums attended last year) who wish to attend and it’s always a great time

if anyone has queries please PM me

jock
Rising star

Post by jock » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:03 am

Getting back to the O.T….We, personally, dont like the idea of joining a Caravan club..preferring to do and go where we like but can see some merit for some who dont mind the club regimentation and atmosphere.
There are several ‘styles’ of caravan clubs that we’ve noticed…apart from the general types, there are also specific brand caravan clubs.
Would like to comment that whenever we’ve come across one of these clubs in a town or C.P., as non participants, We’ve generally found them a real pain in the axxe. They tend to be noisy at night, they take over camp kitchens and campfires etc…A couple of times we’ve moved on earlier than intended due to them.

Jock :neutral:

TeddyGQ
Avid poster
Location: Shepparton, VIC 2004 7.3 litre F250 Supercab Ute. Supreme Elite 23’6

Post by TeddyGQ » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:09 am

Jock, couldn’t agree with your sentiments more. We have had vans come into Caravan Parks and act as if it was there personal domain. They played music, loud, to all hours. Their children were obnoxious due to no discipline. When they were asked to quieten down, they take the high moral ground that they, and there obnoxious children, were on holiday. What makes them believe that that gave them the right to be absolute a—-holes. They were asked to leave the next day and we sat and smiled.
Not a great lover of the “Club” scene.
Problem is, if you are new to caravanning and we are full time, there is so much to learn. Asking on a ‘Nice” forum gives far more benefits. I have had problems with Ibis air cons, Suburban heaters, Swift Ovens, Dometic awnings, wheel bearings, spare tyres, Winegard aerials, you name it. Really steep learning curve but all experience which I am more than happy to pass on.
Rather pass it on via the forum than sit around with people who can’t handle their drink.

Return to “Club Chat”