Save Your Silastic

Got some hints, tips and ideas about making life on the road easier? Post them here and help everyone out.
Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Re: Save Your Silastic

Post by Old Techo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:30 am

Lance wrote:I’ve always just screwed a screw into the open nozzle and it seems to do the job, as long as it’s a tight fit.
Similarly I’ve always used either a gal nail or a pop rivet to match the size of the nozzle hole.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:49 am

Yes. Like everyone else, I used to use nails, screws, pop rivets etc. but it still went off near or around the seal and the nozzle would have to be cut off to a larger opening which is not always good if you still want a small bead size. Plus you are always looking around for an appropriate sized object to bung into the end. Too Fred Flintstone for me now.

Photo shows fine thread that the red caps screw onto to give proper seal. Look for the nozzles (in the bulk bin) with these threads when you next buy some silicon. Just remember to keep your red caps when you discard the used cartridge and nozzle.

Glanyard – yours are now on their way.

Cheers,
ALLAN
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader “The Taj Mah AL”.
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

inca222
Been here for a while

Post by inca222 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:31 pm

Agree entirely Allan . Like others I keep mine in the fridge.Pretty warm in the summer on the Mid North Coast and my silicones are always usable on demand..Seal em up and put em in the cold.

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:22 pm

I find Sikaflex Marine to be the most difficult one and the screw on caps were less than successful. At $28 a tube, I was getting fed up with it going off.
So now I fold a small piece of gladwrap into four, lay it over the nozzle thread on the tube and then screw a nozzle down onto it. Even that only gives you a few weeks.
Keith

bagmaker
Been here for a while

Post by bagmaker » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:54 am

just push a bit out of the nozzle after use, like a “tail”. When needed again, pull off the tail.

Return to “Bright Ideas”