Supermarket Shopping List

Got some hints, tips and ideas about making life on the road easier? Post them here and help everyone out.
Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Supermarket Shopping List

Post by Old Techo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:59 pm

I realise that most will have a supermarket shopping list but I was just updating ours for Mrs OT.

The only ‘bright idea’ aspect of this is I began keeping this list on a spreadsheet in 1995. The beauty of a spreadsheet is ease of modification and item sorting.

In the earlier days the item order was designed to suit aisles at Coles and grouped under aisle numbers. Now it is mostly alphabetical.

The form is designed to fold horizontally in half and then vertically into thirds so that just one column is visible at any one time – thus compact.

I print these in batches of 10. They hang on a clipboard with a bank pen on a string just inside the pantry door. So there is no excuse for not marking something that is running low.

Here is the current version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

A’van
Rising star

Re: Supermarket Shopping List

Post by A’van » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:26 pm

Thanks OT, you can also use these

https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/Sugg … tedLists/5

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-national/ … owse?col=1

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys … 4-january/

But if you go to the store you get the in store reduced price and i buy it whether we need it or not :roll:

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A’van Aliner

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks Hans, but I can’t hang any of those near the pantry door.

The pantry is the place where you know you have taken out the last of something and mark it on the list.

The list is gradually populated over a week (we only shop weekly) so come shopping day no further work needs doing. Just grab it and go shopping.

NOT interested in home deliveries.

Don’t want to be farting about on a computer on shopping day :roll:
Regards, Old Techo

JackDriver
On a roll

Post by JackDriver » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Hey OT,

As we live in the country we tend to keep a lot of food and drink on hand. We have the main pantry in the kitchen and the backup pantry in the garage which is attached to the house. We tend to keep more than one of each item and move things from the backup to the main (or the fridge) as needed. When we put the last of an item in the main pantry (or fridge) we write it down on the shopping list which is attached to the front of the fridge.

With this method we don’t have to do a pantry inspection before we go shopping. Just grab the list and go. :D

Cheers,
JackDriver
Jackaroo 3L T/D MY 2000
Prattline Lo-Tow MY 1993

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:22 pm

G’day Jack D,

Perhaps I didn’t explain myself well enough.

We are about 10 km from the shops. The pantry is a walk-in 7′ x 5′ x 9′ high and shelves all around and to the roof. All items are kept in multiples and quantity based upon turnover. Some may only be 2 and others a dozen.

We don’t do a pantry inspection or audit. When either of us take an item from the pantry and see that stocks are running low then it is ticked on the shopping list. Equally from the fridges or freezers. Over 7 days a number of items will be ticked thus ensuring they do not run out.

However we are drifting off the point of my topic. It is merely to have a preformatted shopping list that may be readily modified without having to type anything, except for additions, and with easy alphabetical sorting and the ability to drag columns about. It is far better than having such a list on a word processor or scribbled on a bit of paper :D
Regards, Old Techo

JackDriver
On a roll

Post by JackDriver » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:24 pm

No worries OT,

I guess that it’s not too surprising that we use the same system ;-) .

Starting to like your shopping list as well. One advantage I see is that is also acts as a reminder for things that were possibly not put on the list when the restock level was reached.

Cheers,
JackDriver
Jackaroo 3L T/D MY 2000
Prattline Lo-Tow MY 1993

Jay&dee
Cracked the big time

Post by Jay&dee » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:14 am

We are both getting close to receiving our ( O.B.E.) as far as age goes.
Therefore if we want it we buy it. Having said that, we are what they call pantry fillers and if the specials are great value then we buy heaps.
But again, nearing OBE we do at times need a list,not only for grocery shopping, as the old memory is not what it used to be.

I remember a icecream on a cone 3 pence… potatoes 5 lb for 2 shilling and apples 5 for 2 shillings.
Rinso soap powder one shilling and 7 pence halfpenny.
That is language the y gen. would have to google.
Time for a cuppa.
Jay&Dee

inca222
Been here for a while

Post by inca222 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:53 pm

Yep,when I obtained my driver licence, petrol was 3 and a penny halfpenny per gallon. The garage down the road sold Shell,Golden Fleece and Atlantic, but I reckon it was all the same. Super was a bit darker than standard.That’s awhile ago now and they always asked if they could check the battery,oil,water and tyres too.

A’van
Rising star

Post by A’van » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Yes it’s easy enough to get too much when you buy thing’s on special, I looked in the pantry a vile ago, we must have had about 20 cans of baked beans, we eat them, but not that much :lol: My wife goes mad at me, will you stop buying, but it was half price. :roll:
We stayed at my Mums house in the loft and there was all these tins with bags of coffee, a lot of it out of date. Mum was about 85 then and she liked her coffee, you never know there could be a war starting again :)

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A’van Aliner

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:34 am

Yes we have a shopping list
In our heads
As each shop is different when your touring we just go up and down the isles and get only what we need

When we’re at home we still don’t have a written list
Wewalk up and down the isles yes we need that, no we don’t need that, rarely do we double up on things

Return to “Bright Ideas”