$52,000 in 10 weeks from Showground campers

Freedom to explore this great country the way we want to
Motherhen

Re: $52,000 in 10 weeks from Showground campers

Post by Motherhen » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi Marg

When towns are approached to do similar, or submissions are made, they want ‘proof’ of examples of boost to the money spent by travellers in towns that are providing low cost or free campgrounds. Real proof is just not out there. Businesses do not know where all their customers are from may think it will make no difference. We have had examples of receipt collecting at CMCA rallies, but these are one off situations not every day travellers year round.

This is certainly an eye opening exercise, especially considering not all travellers at the showground or free camping would be aware of the project, see the benefit in contributing, may need receipts for business apportioning particularly for vehicle costs, or they may not think to get a receipt when it is not offered as can happen in some shops.

If ‘experiments’ like this could be documented and placed on a website such by the showground committee or as a news item on the Shire website, we would have something to refer to when asked for ‘proof’ or putting in submissions. This is why I am asking.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Marg McAlister

Post by Marg McAlister » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:54 pm

Motherhen (and others!) I agree: it would be great if more places could initiate this sort of thing – proof positive!

I was just saying to Rob that I’m going to add a new page to our blog, too: news about free camps or low cost camps. Someone at Home Hill told us about a caravan park owner in Merimbula (Merimbula Lake caravan park in Green Point Road) who is trying something new: he is opening up part of his park for self-contained vehicles who don’t want anything but a safe place to camp. I just phoned the park to check on the details and here is what Betty Hood told me:

OFF SEASON: $5 per person if you have your own shower and toilet etc and need nothing else.
THEN, if you wish, you can add $5 to use the dump point, $5 for water, $5 to use the amenities block etc… so it really is ‘user pays’.

PEAK SEASON: $25 a couple. (I believe coastal parks in the area are charging very high site rates at, say school holiday periods, but I haven’t checked them all, of course.)

Certainly worth giving publicity to caravan park owners who are trying to move with the times and offer what caravanners are asking for.

Cheers
Marg
Marg McAlister
Travel Writer
Caravan & Motorhome on Tour

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi Marg

While this is what some people are asking for from caravan parks, it may not be easy to achieve as they would no doubt still need to have adequate amenities for all sites as well as fire control and all the other stuff that the regulations impose on caravan parks these days.

There was a caravan park in Tasmania offering reduced cost places for fully self contained.

Meanwhile, as you initiated the interview, can you get that or a similar interview published on an authentic website such as Shire of Showground so it can be used as an example?
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Marg McAlister

Post by Marg McAlister » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Motherhen: I’ll check with C&M and let you know.
Marg
Marg McAlister
Travel Writer

Dan and Kerrie

Post by Dan and Kerrie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Thanks for OP Marg . We are heading south from Lucinda on Sunday and will now consider this as our next stop over. During last week or so we have intentionally stayed in towns still recovering from Cyclone Yasi etc. We have spent normal $$$ plus a few more in order to support the town. It is good to see positive action to have the contribution of travellers recognized … not for any gloating type reason but bringing to the fore the mutual benefits that are available. Well done all!

Marg McAlister

Post by Marg McAlister » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Way to go, Dan and Kerrie! Let us know how you like Home Hill.

Motherhen, just had a thought (don’t know why I didn’t think of this earlier) – the video is on YouTube on a public channel, which means anyone can go to the page, get the code and embed it in their website. So if any of you want to spread the word, you can contact any relevant website and ask them to feature it.

Cheers
Marg
Marg McAlister
Travel Writer

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi Marg

My thinking is that if using a short interview on You tube will have no proof or standing to use in a submission. Do you believe everything you see on You tube?

To have any credibility for these purposes, it needs to be reported (not as a video) on an official website such as the Shire or the home Hill Showground website.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Tripping Away

Post by Tripping Away » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:35 pm

Motherhen wrote:Hi Marg

My thinking is that if using a short interview on You tube will have no proof or standing to use in a submission. Do you believe everything you see on You tube?

To have any credibility for these purposes, it needs to be reported (not as a video) on an official website such as the Shire or the home Hill Showground website.

Motherhen, Sounds like a good idea… What submission are you putting together? Do you need any assistance? We need more of this in Western Australia..

It will get my support!!!!

Tony48

Post by Tony48 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:43 am

Nice positive post Marg.
Funny how the negatives pop up continuously. I can not see a need for you to further qualify the situation and or pursue it further.
Let the resident experts take it further if that is their desire. (Just my opinion).
Now, another positive note. We recently camped at Dawson River Rest Area. This is a great spot with facilities just west of the Queensland town of Moura. A sign on the amenities directs you to a dump point on the other side of town, clever. As we left the town was full of vans etc shopping and getting fuel.
Comments made by me (Tony) are not necessarily those of the Management (Lorraine).
Tony & Lorraine
2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 turbo diesel. Chip & exhaust.
2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:08 am

None on the go at the moment Tripping, but various enquiries come up from time to time eg the Parliamentary enquiries in Tasmania 2011 and Queensland 2010. Western Australia had one on Provision Use and Regulation of Caravan Parks (and Camping Grounds) in Western Australia back in 2009 and the effects are just starting with the recent state budget. That one was aimed at commercial caravan parks, but feedback pointed them clearly in the direction of another need.

I have also discussed the idea of RV friendly with Councils occasionally, and they want ‘proof’ of benefits. My own Council do NOT see the light :-x . We should all start with our own home towns or localities (if not city based). Case histories from other towns are needed to do this. The best I got from ours was a signed caravan parking area (with tight turn around for very big rigs), with free power; day area only. They could not see the sense in having a dump point when the local caravan park has one for guests only, so chose free power as a cheaper option :roll: .
Tripping Away wrote:
Motherhen wrote:Hi Marg

Motherhen, Sounds like a good idea… What submission are you putting together? Do you need any assistance? We need more of this in Western Australia..

It will get my support!!!!

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Return to “Free Camping”