View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 $52,000 in 10 weeks from Showground campers 

Post $52,000 in 10 weeks from Showground campers
Have you seen this? Joe, the caretaker at Home Hill showground, talks about how much money campers have brought into the shire in just 10 weeks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMm4JF3DQfI&feature=youtu.be

cheers
Marg

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:19 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: $52,000 in 10 weeks from Showground campers
Sounds interesting Marg. But in reality, when you think about it you’re talking about only $5,200. per week spread between 2 towns – a fairly paltry amount..(I presume Ayr is the other town)…..This money is not all necessarily going into the Shire either..Lots of everyday food and fuel stuff sales profits are sent elsewhere.
The costs to the Shire of servicing and providing for the showground users would probably be more than any profits the locals would make.
Sorry to be my usual wet blanket :roll: :roll: ;-)

Jock ;-)

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Marg McAlister wrote:
Have you seen this? Joe, the caretaker at Home Hill showground, talks about how much money campers have brought into the shire in just 10 weeks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMm4JF3DQfI&feature=youtu.be

cheers
Marg

Marg, When you think that his data only comes from shopping reciepts that people actually put into the box to be counted, the actual amount could be tenfold at least or only $52000.

Either way, a better result than doing nothing. It is not a time to sit on your hands in struggling towns.

Well Done to Home Hill.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:16 pm

I think in the whole scheme of things in 10 weeks $5,200 per week is a great result…and as the word gets around and more people stay at the showground the more money it will generate…I think it is a great result…

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop
Tripping Away wrote:

Marg, When you think that his data only comes from shopping reciepts that people actually put into the box to be counted, the actual amount could be tenfold at least or only $52000.

Either way, a better result than doing nothing. It is not a time to sit on your hands in struggling towns.

Well Done to Home Hill.

I agree with you, another point is that it is only the shopping $$ spent, what about the fuel and other expenditure.

Top stuff

BLOGS
http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com
http://thewesternadventure.blogspot.com/

Also member of Travellers chat

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Yes, you’re right Jock: Ayr was the other town. However, Joe estimates that there’s probably another 30% on top of that for purchases made without receipts. And from what he says, the Showground was an under-utilised resource that the Council had to maintain anyway… now they’re getting a return from it, as are the businesses in the town.

I think the main point is that nomads are spending money in the towns, so there are many more businesses to consider than just caravan parks. (As someone else pointed out, many caravan parks have been steadily taking business away from local motels and hotels with the addition of competitively-priced cabin accommodation.)

BTW, Frank: remember when you did a forum post with a heads-up on solar panels at a good price online? Rob and I bought them and they get a big thumbs up. Thanks again!

Marg

Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:13 am
Profile WWW

Is there any other reference to this than You Tube?

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:24 am
Profile WWW

It doesn’t matter where the money "ends up" – in the shire or elsewhere – as long as it continues to provide employment and maintains a businesses operation within that community.

There was some other extraordinary $$ figure quoted in 2011 (?) after some large van muster in a town, by how much they had collectively spent there. I was astounded.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:35 am
Profile WWW

Motherhen,

The header to this post pretty much says it all. When the Showground park opened, Joe asked everyone visiting to put their local shopping receipts in a box. He says (from memory) that he has a look every Tuesday – which must be before a council meeting – and then reports weekly. From the receipts ALONE (and he knows that people have bought other stuff for which they didn’t get receipts) the total was $52,000 over the first ten weeks the campground was open.

I just asked him to talk about it on video and put it on YouTube. He says visitors have also helped out with their skills to upgrade taps and do other small improvements.

Marg

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:20 pm
Profile WWW

Badger wrote:
It doesn’t matter where the money "ends up" – in the shire or elsewhere – as long as it continues to provide employment and maintains a businesses operation within that community.

There was some other extraordinary $$ figure quoted in 2011 (?) after some large van muster in a town, by how much they had collectively spent there. I was astounded.

Exactly Badger,
One more person employed in a country town is another person employed. And good on the people who are doing the work to help the community.

Sometimes, living in a city makes us forget that sometimes all it needs is an idea that people act on unselfeshly that gives a country town the kickstart it needed without always sticking their hand out.

I would go out of my way to spend $ at this town, God helps those who help themselves. (And I am not making reference to the unsavoury element of our society)

Good Luck Home Hill.

Thanks for this post Marg and looking for people who do it right instead of wrong!

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next