Just beginning to connect

New to the C&M forum? Post here to introduce yourself to the gang!
Allan Rudner
I’m new, be nice!

Just beginning to connect

Post by Allan Rudner » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:36 am

Hi my name is Allan. I moved back to NSW early last year after five years on the west coast, mostly in Glorious Fremantle. I am living in Utungun (nobody knows where that is) which is 15 minutes inland from Macksville on the mid north coast NSW.
I am 72 years, fit with an active seeking mind, living with my brother and his wife on a 20 acre rural property. After being a long time tent camper I am interested in finding ways to get on the road with more comfort. What can I do with a very limited budget? A campervan, a small caravan suited to a Suburu Impreza (2 litre)?

And where to on short trips (up to a week) and hopefully much longer adventures.
Greetings to all of you. I am very excited about this forum and what might unfold.
Warm wishes for an adventurous 2019

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop

Re: Just beginning to connect

Post by Frank & Brenda » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:31 pm

G’day Allan and welcome
If I was on my own I would get a small campervan (known as whizzbangs because of the sliding door) whack a small trailer on the back and a scooter on top of that
A whizzbang will use less fuel than a car and caravan and you can leave it parked and use the scooter to get around, you’ll also have extra storage on the trailer

I’m not sure what the towing capacity of the impreza is but I’m fairly confident that it will tow a small van such as a nipper (rear entry van), if that’s the way you want to go, but as I said for fuel economy will be greater than a campervan
A friend of my wife’s locked up a fully set up campervan for $8000 and a Facebook site I’m on has then from. 6-10000 (and way above of course) for decent campaigns
You’ll pay the same for a van and then there’s the wear and tear on the car

In a few years we’ll be looking for a campervan for easier travelling, don’t get me wrong we love our van and it’s set up just the way we want it, but not having to hitch and unhitch would be fantastic

rredbeak
Major contributor

Re: Just beginning to connect

Post by rredbeak » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi Allan,
Welcome to you ,I think you’ll love the family companionship here as well as the advice of the worlds best forum…

firstly what to buy for tripping,i agree fully with Franks post.Frank makes good sence.or is that cents..

But secondly you asked where to go for up to a week or so.. Well what type of person are you Allan please? coast/bush/desert/moutains,OR a trip containg all them ?? itd help advise you better.. Cheers Rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Return to “FIRST STOP!…. Say G’Day … introduce yourself”