overnight free camp Whyalla or Port Augusta

merlin

overnight free camp Whyalla or Port Augusta

Post by merlin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:01 am

Just wondering if anyone has recent knowledge of any good free camps in the Whyalla or Port Augusta areas. We are planning a trip very soon from Adelaide to Port Lincoln and would like to do some free camping on the way there.

TassieD

Post by TassieD » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:17 am

Haven't tried it but looks like there's a good one at Point Lowly, 17km north of Whyalla.
Camp right on the water, flushing toilets and disabled facilities. Cold outdoor showers available. Boat Ramp and right on the doorstep of Snapper heaven!
Walking distance to the lovely Point Lowly lighthouse and Port Bonython.
http://ozcamps.net/index.php?option=com ... &Itemid=29
Tess & Craig.
06 Landcruiser Sahara & looking.

Our blog Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Jeffie

Post by Jeffie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:27 am

Merlin,

I agree with Tassie D - Lowly Pt is a good camp for a day or two plus a bit further south have a look at Lipson Cove just north of Tumby Bay, its about 15 - 20ks of very good dirt road off the main road.

Jeff.
Jeff & Heather
Isuzu MU-X LST
Coronet Grand Prince.

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:34 am

Second vote for Point Lowly. Been there VERY recently,toilets/cold showers and right on the ocean. you can Stay free 14 days.

Bev says its the best freecamp in oz,She found it and called us over.

Enjoy.. Rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

merlin

Re: Free camps whyalla or Port Augusta

Post by merlin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:31 am

Just like to say thankyou to all who replied to my query. Sounds as though Point Lowly is worth a go.

The Gambler

Pt Augusta option

Post by The Gambler » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:30 am

Not quite free but the Footy club as you enter Pt Augusta from the south has powered sites that are $5 per night.
You turn left off the highway immediately after the causeway, just before the Holden dealer.
I hear that they even do cheap meals.

Snownsun

Post by Snownsun » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:18 pm

Yes, Rod's correct. Port Lowly is our absolute favourite free camp! Get in early & set up in the parking area near the toilet/shower block.

Cheers,
Bev
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[font=Footlight MT Light][size=100][color=red]Red Rav 4 [color=black]2007[/color][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Footlight MT Light][size=100]Adria Altea 2008[/size][/font]
[font=Footlight MT Light][size=100]----------------[/size][/font]
[font=Footlight MT Light][size=100][color=#0000ff]Most people spend their healthy years trying to get wealthy, only to spend their wealthy years trying to get healthy. :)[/color][/size][/font]

Jedo_03

Post by Jedo_03 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:52 pm

The Gambler wrote:Not quite free but the Footy club as you enter Pt Augusta from the south has powered sites that are $5 per night.
You turn left off the highway immediately after the causeway, just before the Holden dealer.
Any more info on this, Gambler..?? Presume I/We/You need to contact them before arrival to arrange/book.. Do you have a contact phone number or Name of Footy Club - Port Augusta Footy Club..??
TIA
Jedo
Joe&Shelia - Ex Poms (Geordies!!): Broken Hill
HF / UHF

jock

security

Post by jock » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:18 am

The Gambler wrote:Not quite free but the Footy club as you enter Pt Augusta from the south has powered sites that are $5 per night.

What's the security like at the Footy Club?...Port Augusta has huge problems ..Both the big caravan Parks are sealed in like Fort Knox and have signs everywhere warning campers not to leave anything of value outside .
Jock
PS....Is this the park that caters for S.C. Motorhomes only?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:20 pm

I can vouch for PtLowly as its only 30kms from home and receives rave reviews from visitors.

As mentioned Lipson Cove further down the peninsula is a great spot too.

Slightly out of the way is PtGibbon near Cowell, either at their donation campground or one of the many free camping bays along the coast road.
Andrew - Whyalla SA
Nissan Patrol-Lifted,locked and loaded
Windsor Rapid-Tandem/ensuite poptop -18.5' external, 25' internal!
[url]http://www.touring4x4.com[/url]
[url]Travel & photography blog: http://www.touring4x4.com/blog/[/url]

Return to “Free Camping - SA”