View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Birdsville Track 

Post Birdsville Track
Prado With a pop top Excell .

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:08 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop
Prado With a pop top Excell .

?????????????????????? do you have a question, we might need a little more info!!

BLOGS
http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com
http://thewesternadventure.blogspot.com/

Also member of Travellers chat

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:22 pm

Like you, I logged on hoping to find some info on this area but was disappointed so backed out without comment. Now backing you up on your comment.

Errol

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:25 pm

Post Birrdsville Track
Gday Sorry I had a detailed paragraph but it only printed out the last bit ! I am taking my standard excell up the track next year slow & easy .I would like to know of anyone else doing the same with a normal van & did they have any dramas ?? Cheers M/John

Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:49 pm

Post Birdsville Track
G'day M/John
The biggest problem on the Track is stones and more stones. You'd have no trouble as far as roughness goes..not that many corrugations but the stones are a nightmare. You need to be extra vigilant and steer your way around the big sharp pointy ones. This, of course makes driving very tiresome and prevents the driver from too much sightseeing along the way. So..you need really good stone protection for your van and something to prevent stones bouncing back and smashing the tugs rear window. If you want to be truly on the safe side, You need two spare tyres for the van and two for the tug. You can get tyre repairs or replacements at Mungerannie but we paid $380. for a Bridgestone Desert Dueller after destroying one of our tyres 50 kms out. Also..and this is a debatable point, you need to let all tyres down to about 26psi, to allow the tread to absorb the pointy bits..
Hope this helps,
Jock

Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:18 pm

Post The Track
Thanks Jock , thats exactly what I wanted to hear !Yes I will double up on tyres for both.I am going to make up a set of flaps for the prado .I will also fit additional guards under the van to protect "bits" {retired plumber} M/John

Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:12 am

I took my coromal magnum up there last year. There were a few bulldust holes but the major pain is the endless stones. they are hard on the american brand tyres .....causing chipping of the thread (don't seem to affect the jap ones), as was said before let the tyres down and take your time

Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:43 am

Post stones
moamajohn wrote:
I am taking my standard excell up the track next year slow & easy .I would like to know of anyone else doing the same with a normal van & did they have any dramas ?? Cheers M/John

G'day John,
Stones are the big problem, it is just a dirt road. I was sprayed by an Ultimate camper flying along, and they cracked my new windscreen, dented the bonnet and broke an indicator lens. Try to contact people you are passing/overtaking and tell them you will slow down for them, to prevent damage. Definitely fit a perspex rear window protector, I bought one for around $25 from supercheap. It is fitted with velcro and saved my back window a few times.

Cheers,
Bill

Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:20 pm

Post B/ville Trk
To you Bill I am off next week to get the guard you suggest,& Norto I figured on B/stone duellers cause the local dealer up there says they are the best! but do you have an idea for the van ? Cost is secondary.Wifey has been warned about the rocks flying around as she will be doing all driving. I on the other hand {sez me as I am on heart attack number 3 I figure I might as well go down in a screaming heap !} Will be riding the ole intrepid push bike , I,m tipping its about an 80 stubby ride! M/John.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:23 pm

I had desert duellers on the van and they were unmarked. The Mickey Thompsons on the 4x4 were badly chipped. I think the answer for the van is to stay away from any thing American. They have a hard rubber compound which chips easily.

Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next