Winegard antenna problem

Tech questions answered by the forum 'brains trust'
Crazyhorse
Cracked the big time

Winegard antenna problem

Post by Crazyhorse » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Alright, when I bought this van the antenna didn't and still doesn't supply a signal. I have a couple of weeks without commitment now so I am about to try to fix it.

First, the "green LED" comes on happily when I try it and I run my TV from the 12V outlet...so on the roof I get. But before I start has anyone any suggestions?

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: Winegard antenna problem

Post by dieseltojo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:37 pm

I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Crazyhorse
Cracked the big time

Post by Crazyhorse » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:54 pm

That's brilliant, thanks DT...gives me a great start and a breakdown of the bits....I could be wrong but I suspect it is the head circuit board...hopefully it will just be a lose connection.

I also thank everyone who contributed to the links :)

valiant81
An old hand

Post by valiant81 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:38 am

Hi all;
A lot of people are haveing trouble with there winegard antenna. I have had a lot of caravaner come through with all types reception issues. The main problem that i have found is that the cables to the televisions ( ? ) in the van and the cable to the antenna on the roof have been put on to the wrong F type connectors on the back of the injector board , it's job is to inject 12 volts from your house battery / power supply , up the coax cable to the winegard antenna and this voltage ( 12 volts ) feeds the amplifier. No voltage = amplifier not working and very poor to no signal. The injector is marked with what F connectors , go were

Also do you have the little led light on ??. Most were red in color, but i have seen a few green leds as well.

Crazyhorse
Cracked the big time

Post by Crazyhorse » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks Valient, I have a green LED inside and it is on so I am assuming that at least I am getting 12V there somewhere but my first job is to see if it gets to the antenna...I will report back.... :) :)

tommie
On a roll

Post by tommie » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:27 am

Hi,I have just installed one,getting fairly good reception in a place where it normally is bad on a house set up,,bought the basic one,but will get the add on bit soon,,,only paid $229 in Adelaide and wasn't hard to install,,regards tommie
A man must do,what a man's gotta do.

Crazyhorse
Cracked the big time

Post by Crazyhorse » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:19 am

There is a second hand head piece on sale on eBay I may try to buy...$50 so far and I can pick it up on the way up the coast...may be worth it.

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Crazyhorse, you did have the tv working correctly at another place I hope. Some older TVs just won't pick up the Digital signal. Silly question I know.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Crazyhorse wrote:There is a second hand head piece on sale on eBay I may try to buy...$50 so far and I can pick it up on the way up the coast...may be worth it.
Crazy you can't condemn your existing head unit until you have confirmed the presence of 12 volts at the coax F type connector where it screws into said unit.

12 volts will confirm coax continuity from the Winegard wall panel to the antenna head but even this does not rule out some issue with the wall panel.

The only thing that can fail in the antenna head unit is the amp itself. If so then $50 is a cheap fix.... if it does not have the same fault... and how will you know :?: :rolleyes:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Crazyhorse
Cracked the big time

Post by Crazyhorse » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Yea OT, yes I can use the TV normally and usually do with the house type antenna I have as well...the TV is fine but I cannot confirm 12V at the masthead...but I am really cr#p at measuring. I am trying to get 12V between the centre wire and the circular side using the probes...nuffin'.

But I am stopping now as there almost no reception here on either antenna...lots of trees. I tried to attach my house type antenna to the arms of the Winegard (slipped the legs of the U bolt through the holes in the arms) and still couldn't get a reception.

I will wait until I can get to a strong signal area.

Return to “General Tech Talk”