Questions for Caravan Potential-Buyers to Ask a Dealer

The CCA is non-commercial, non-profit, non-political and does not have any Members
Colin1947
Confident

Questions for Caravan Potential-Buyers to Ask a Dealer

Post by Colin1947 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:38 am

Buying a caravan is a very big investment, and it is essential that a potential-buyer thoroughly does their "home-work" beforehand, to best-ensure that they make a sound and wise investment.

Firstly, and most importantly, use the 2-Part Buyer-Assist - "Evaluation & Comparison" - to determine exactly what caravan you: Want / Need / Can afford, so that you don't get talked in to buying something that does not ideally suit your desired travel plans… or is outside of your budget!

"Self-Certification" of caravans, unfortunately, does not provide potential-buyers with anywhere near the same degree of assurance of compliance or quality, compared with motor vehicles, where all compliance evidence is examined by Vehicle Safety Standards, before a new vehicle model is Approved for marketing in Australia.

In addition, a sample vehicle is thoroughly inspected by government officers, to ensure that the vehicle does indeed completely match the compliance evidence provided.

Motor vehicle manufacturers are required to have a professional Quality Assurance program in place, to best-ensure that all future production vehicles are fully-compliant.

Clearly, the Federal Government has realised that there are a number of major short-comings in the caravan industry, as new more-stringent Regulations are being introduced.

It is a real concern that so many caravan manufacturers have gone out of business in recent times, hence a potential-buyer needs to be ultra-diligent when selecting a new caravan, so as to have a high level of confidence in the future prospects of any particular company.

In order to improve the professionalism of the industry - and to better-protect potential-buyers of caravans and camper-trailers from bitter and costly disappointments and traumas, there is a list of hard-hitting Questions for a Supplier (Dealer) to respond to.

If a Supplier is unable - or unwilling - to answer any Question, a potential-buyer may well wish to ask "why"… and seriously consider if they feel comfortable doing business with them, and handing over a lot of $$,$$$ to them.

One would hope that a professional dedicated Manufacturer, or Dealer, definitely would not object to answering any of the Questions - knowing that some competitors might object - as nothing is confidential, and that they would welcome the opportunity to make a sale… realising that the Buyer would be completely happy with both the Product and the Service, and would sleep well at night, knowing that the 'van was in top-notch condition, and extremely unlikely to present any problems in the future.

These important Questions are in addition to having the Supplier complete - and sign - the supplied Compliance and Pre-Delivery Check-Lists.

The Questionnaire can be obtained by emailing: caravancouncil@optusnet.com.au

Collyn
Been here for a while

Re: Questions for Caravan Potential-Buyers to Ask a Dealer

Post by Collyn » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:12 am

Reader feedback shows that many buyers are (increasingly) being wrongly told by caravan dealers to approach the caravan maker to remedy faults. The law, however, is very clear re this. Unless you bought the product directly from the manufacturer: the legal liability is that of the dealer that supplied it. You may then be offered the choice of the dealer or manufacturer - but that choice is yours. It that maker ceases business that dealer is still legally liable. ( I do not comment on whether that is fair or not).

To ensure the above is legally correct I have recently had Assoc Professor of Law (also caravan owner) Micheal Eburn prepare a definitive article re this.

Clancy - If this is acceptable for me to reference this (in what I feel is a truly exceptional matter) it can be freely viewed at https://www.rvbooks.com.au/blog/post/50 ... sponsible/

Collyn
The problem is not what people do not know, it is what they think they know that simply isn't true.

rredbeak
Major contributor

Post by rredbeak » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:35 am

Colin 1947,
I have trouble reading long letters. my eyes involuntarily wander off,so if I get your question wrong you'll understand.

I believe your asking can you trustdealers buying van.

If it was me id go to a van show ONLY for the purpose of comparing vans that suit you. You can eliminate others in price etc,so you have a pretty good idea what suits n it fits your budget. THEN id go to the dealer,let salesman guide you through the sales points,THEN id say ill just look around alone Now you know finer points AND the Brand And the Price.

Just take all day if you wish [its your money]

check cupboards / doors for opening,windows for closing correctly.you know the deal.

Id Definitely do that alone,NO salesman,if you find something not satisfactory the salesman is NOT there to talk you around it.

if you cant decide on the final few ,DONT,go elsewhere n think about it over a coffee .

took us over a month to finally choose the van we bought,its GREAT, BUT id buy differently if I had time back. I would buy a full van with ensuite rather than a popper.

Brand don't matter but its done Aus 3 figure 8 n 4 half laps n nothing is out of ordinary.. there probably all great nowadays.. happy hunting ,DONT part with money of any sort UNTILL youre fully sure..
Rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Collyn
Been here for a while

Post by Collyn » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:08 am

The problem here is that salespeople may move from selling BMWs one day and Mercedes (or caravans) a week later.

They may not be be aware of it but most will demonstrate that known as 'Cognitive Dissonance' (Leon Festinger). In essence they need to be able to reconcile suddenly changed beliefs and opinions. And they do - virtually overnight. They may literally believe they were mistaken about the previous product's 'excellence' and that the current one truly is better. It may well be - but it may also just be 'different'.

Further: their expertise is selling - not product knowledge. There are rare ones like the legendary 'monty' on that 'other forum', but its hard to name another!

It is also rare to pick up reliable comment from one-brand forums. Here again Cognitive Dissonance kicks in: "I've just spent $55,000 on a 2500 kg dual cab to tow my 3500 kg whatever - and I'm no fool". Cognitive Dissonance even explains why there was/is a (UK) Robin three-wheeler club protesting Robins 'only fall over if cornered a bit too fast'!

I post this not to suggest it's a waste of time 'asking a dealer' but to follow Colin's excellent advise to get whatever they say IN WRITING. They do have a legal duty of care.

As a matter of interest Colin and I have similar backgounds: we were both motor industry research engineers - Colin with GM in the USA - and myself with GM (Vauxhall/Bedford in the UK). Colin was also a race car driver (I raced vintage cars).

Collyn
The problem is not what people do not know, it is what they think they know that simply isn't true.

Collyn
Been here for a while

Post by Collyn » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:05 pm

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:12 pm

Best Aussie Vans ??? :lol:

Rubbish, you pay enough and you'll get all the good things in promotion.

Does the public still get sucked in by this sort of promotion ?? :roll:

I guess lots do................ :???:
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

Collyn
Been here for a while

Post by Collyn » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:27 am

Re the thread title - ask dealers to explain page 10 of the above.

Collyn

Collyn
Been here for a while

Post by Collyn » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:03 am

Lance wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:12 pm
Best Aussie Vans ??? :lol:

Rubbish, you pay enough and you'll get all the good things in promotion.

Does the public still get sucked in by this sort of promotion ?? :roll:

I guess lots do................ :???:

Lance
Have a look at the subsequent revelations in the February Caravan World.

It will be hard to take that 'Best Van' award (and many a caravan 'review' half seriously ever again).

Collyn

Return to “Caravan Council of Australia”