Allergen labelling

The Place to chat and share general ideas
Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Allergen labelling

Post by Old Techo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 am

Every now and then I like to read the labels on products.

These nanny state days most food items have a list of allergens. Typically it may include peanuts, eggs, soy, milk, fish, etc.

This morning whilst I gobbled my oats I studied the supermarket milk container label. It had the usual heading 'Allergens' and the only one listed was milk. So be warned people that a package containing 100% milk, and nothing else, may contain traces of milk. WTF :shock:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Peter Aawen
On a roll

Re: Allergen labelling

Post by Peter Aawen » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:26 am

Old Techo wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 am
..... So be warned people that a package containing 100% milk, and nothing else, may contain traces of milk. WTF :shock:
It's as if some people just need to be told! :rolleyes:

That sort of reliance on everyone else to make sure a person with allergies can't eat or touch what they shouldn't starts waaay back with helicopter parents & over-zealous control of the food OTHER KIDS bring to eat at schools!! At least some schools are now becoming a little more 'pro-active' instead of 'p-restrictive' about what kids might bring to school to eat in order to protect other kids allergies, and instead of restricting the non-allergic kids from bringing food that the non-allergic kids will actually eat, there are now some schools begining to work with the kids with food allergies and their parents in teaching those allergic kids NOT to swap food or even touch other kids food so that the allergic kids learn & become aware of the foods they can't eat or go near, so that by the time they're adults, they shouldn't need to be told the bleedin' obvious!!

Sure, there's a place for warnings about the risks of potentially hidden allergens, but a warning re milk on a milk container?!? I'm just a little tempted to say 'let Darwin's theories take their course', but then, it's not my kids & grandkids that need to be told they are responsible for ensuring that anything they put in their mouths isn't going to kill them! :rolleyes:

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:57 am

Mmmmmmmm......it must be a cold slow day in Victoria.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Glannie,

That is your first post in 6 days. In the same time I've made 14 posts.

One of us is making an effort ;-)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:29 am

Can't always get reception on the road.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:42 am

Funny how things change with allergies. Mums get ll sorts of advice and finish up with kids allergic to all manner of things.

I see that docs are once again saying to get kids to sample eggs early as we were told to do with our babies fifty years ago. Our kids had no allergies and it wasn't even talked about.

We used to cycle 18 klm to the beach to wag school and just took off. Now you go down the street and the little over weight darlings are shuffling along with a mandatory water bottle.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Return to “General Chat”