That bridge again.

The Place to chat and share general ideas
Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Re: That bridge again.

Post by Frank & Brenda » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Lance wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:04 pm
Do you know the accurate height of your RV ?
Yep 2. 175m and I have a height gauge (1/2 Of the sand flag pole) on the front of the car that is 2.225m to make sure I see the clearance
If the pole makes it under a branch, I can get into a freecanmp :mrgreen:
My UHF arial is also 50mm higher than the highest part of the car for the same reason, if it makes it under the height bar for a car park, the solar panel is safe!

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Sad to say it goes on....Sadly one of our own...With people hurt it make a bad trip.

Melbourne’s notorious Montague Street Bridge has struck again.
The driver of a motorhome failed to heed five warning signs before becoming stuck under the bridge in South Melbourne.
The incident happened just before 11am this morning.
VicRoads have urged drivers once again to check their dimensions before driving and to observe road signage.

I reckon " Montague Street Bridge has struck again." is a bit of an overstatement.,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:03 pm

I may have asked this earlier in the thread but can't be bothered to look.....but how many of us know the exact height of our caravan or motorhome.
The total height including any solar panels, aerials, air conditioners etc ?

Do you know :?:

I do :D
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Ya know, without all the pics and publicity of this event that bloke may have got away with it.
There may not have been too much noticeable damage on return of the vehicle.

But yep, now it's gonna be a very expensive lapse of concentration. :neutral:
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

bagmaker
Been here for a while

Post by bagmaker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:44 pm

Lance wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:03 pm
I may have asked this earlier in the thread but can't be bothered to look.....but how many of us know the exact height of our caravan or motorhome.
The total height including any solar panels, aerials, air conditioners etc ?

Do you know :?:

I do :D
4.27. :roll:
I wont be using Montague Street :rolleyes:

loub
An old hand

Post by loub » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:47 pm

When you read all the stuff said about the accidents involving low bridges one gets the clear message that lack of attention is the main cause,too many things going on ,mobil phones ,navigators talking and signs everywhere. I sometimes find looking for a place or an address in the CBD can be quiet demanding and very distracting from your driving :?: :?:
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

Brisey
Been here for a while

Post by Brisey » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:21 pm

We have a few low bridges over here in Perth that get hit regularly. One is on our southbound freeway & plans are now in place to shave a bit off the bottom of the bridge & lower the road a bit. It will cost a few million but I'll bet it will still get hit though.

Cheers
Bri

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:51 pm

I love the excuses that come along with these events. And if it is not too high it is too wide. :)

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2019/ ... 5T65uA1u-8

Now they are saying the load shifted…..a round object the same diameter all around is touching both sides of a ramp and the load has shifted?
If they raise it up it will probably hit its roof. I reckon the barriers will get the big A.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Old Techo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:46 am
dieseltojo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:44 am
I notice the dickheadedness of having a low bridge in a modern city was not addressed... :)
DT,

There is an element of truth to that. However I liken it to those people who build a house near an airport then complain about the noise.

The bridge was there first and tall trucks came later. Perhaps idiot drivers also developed later.

To fix the bridge clearance issue may be a very expensive exercise and I guess has been weighed up against the costs of attending crashes and providing cheaper warning solutions. Railway lines demand only slight gradients so raising the bridge would extend a long way in both directions. Lowering the road may have issues including flooding. I dunno..... just speculating.

On a pure economic basis, as an example, one could argue that the level crossing replacement budget should not be raided to fix the bridge as level crossings kill whereas the bridge doesn't.
I reckon the solution is to raise the road so that the clearance is less.

here is an example from Berrima St Wynnum.

Bridge.jpg

I know a local who enjoys driving under it with guests who are visiting.

Gavin likes to watch them duck while sitting in the passenger seat.

The trucks can simply drive around.
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:29 pm

Yep it is hard to chuck blame at the old timers that probably had no idea of the future needs. I still remember the stories of every state having a different track width railway line. :)
Lucky we have a federated country.
1929 Pop Top

Return to “General Chat”