HR Licence mainly Qld

The Place to chat and share general ideas
Peter Aawen
On a roll

Re: HR Licence mainly Qld

Post by Peter Aawen » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:06 am

Frank & Brenda wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:18 am

BTW I've not known of any such restrictions in SA (Hr is a national licence though) but I've had my HR since they were combined with HB Heavy Bus, nearly 25 years ago and I got my HB when there were only 2 classes of bus licence, Small Bus and Heavy bus, got mine in a 71 Bedford but learned to double cluch as one of the replacement buses was a 68 Bedford, this was back in 83
They might be called 'National' Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licences, but there isn't really too much 'national' about them!! You only hafta move from one State to another ONCE to have that forcibly driven home!! :shock: When I first got my South Aust 'A' class licence endorsed for Heavy Articulated Trucks & Buses etc back in the early 70's, it was easy... if my 'principal place of residence' remained in SA despite my 'current residential address' being elsewhere for anything up to a year, no licence change required, I could pretty much drive anything anywhere, my SA Licence was good Aust wide; and when I moved my 'family home' from SA to NSW not too many years later, it was simply a matter of visiting a NSW rego office & transferring my licence from an SA Licence to a NSW Licence, changing the address, etc - simples! Altho I do recall the Clerk having to print the 'standard' licence, then flip it over & hand stamp/initial all the extra classes & endorsements I had on the back, cos their 'new computer system' couldn't yet automatically include all the various vehicle classes etc! :D

But moving the family home from NSW back to SA 35 or so years later, I hadta hand in my NSW issued NATIONAL Heavy Vehicle Drivers licence & get a whole shed load of SA Practicing Doctors to re-confirm that I still satisfied all the necessary standards & requirements that the NSW Doctors had checked less than 12 months before, and then I hadta do a few 'competency confirmation' driving tests for some of the myriad of classes & endorsements etc before I was finally allowed to get an SA issued 'National Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence' with all the endorsements included (& get a handful of new 'SA Issued' Log Books & Activity Registers etc too!)..... And now they're starting to whittle down the 'actual' vehicles & conditions that I am permitted to drive in/under as well as restricting the length of time that each 'new' licence can be issued to cover so they can ensure that I get all the various tests & visits to Doctors etc done at the correct intervals!! Dunno about you, but to me it simply smacks of an inefficient 'Yes Minister' type Bureaucracy working over-time to justify their very existence & keep themselves gainfully employed! :rolleyes:

And just to compare, waaay back in 1978 I took my Commercial/Military Certificates for operating various River, Coastal, & Seagoing Vessels in to the Marine & Harbours Board, & after paying a nominal fee I was issued a Recreational Boat Operators Licence to cover all recreational boats & boating..... & that licence is still valid & in use some 40 years later! So I'm pretty sure it can be done without all the clap-trap & palaver! ;-)

inca222
Been here for a while

Post by inca222 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:57 am

Yes it's becoming more difficult as each year goes by. In NSW I have to have an annual medical with the GP in order to keep my HR licence, but on reaching 80,a practical test is involved at the expense of the individual. That might be the time I give the endorsement away. I remember when I first passed the thing in the early seventies. I was driving an International Acco C1800 with a Perkins 6-354 diesel with a 5 speed Spicer box and a 3 speed Joey giving 15 gears in all. I went with the police sergeant at Box Hill in Victoria. A few questions about speed restrictions a short test and an elephant stamp. It is much harder these days and quite rightly so .The vehicles are much easier to drive and have oodles of creature comforts like auto trans and roadranger gear boxes, power steering, aircon and sleeper cabs with TV and microwaves etc. Gone are the days of coming home from work with a worn out left leg and an out of joint left arm and to cap it all off sit down and calculate how much road tax you owed the Vic govt for the day's toil. Interesting about the Qld requirements but yet again nothing would surprise me in Qld,and I thought NSW was over regulated and expensive to live in. Cheers Ian
Y62 Patrol
Paramount Classic

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 am

inca222 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:57 am
The vehicles are much easier to drive and have oodles of creature comforts like auto trans and roadranger gear boxes, power steering, aircon and sleeper cabs with TV and microwaves etc.
Do trucks have cruise control?

With all the comforts available now I think the job is harder with the deadlines they have to meet. In addition it may be easier now to get a licence as a lot of trucks are auto and there is a ready source of new labour if a driver doesn't meet the company deadlines.

inca222
Been here for a while

Post by inca222 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:57 am

Certainly food for thought Engel. Only speed limiters, usually set at about 104kph. I don't know about plenty of drivers available because there are always plenty of driving jobs advertised in the paper and of course employees are now almost unable to be fired. The TWU seem to have have a big grip of the system.Companies and owner drivers seem to be at the bottom of the "food chain". Risks of course have increased eg for tanker operators and those who haul hazardous goods but the pay rates do reflect in most cases the risks and responsibilities involved. From my observations there are certainly less cowboys on the road these days but there are still mishaps and fires etc. I guess man will never be infallible.
Y62 Patrol
Paramount Classic

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:13 pm

inca222 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:57 am
I don't know about plenty of drivers available because there are always plenty of driving jobs advertised in the paper and of course employees are now almost unable to be fired. The TWU seem to have have a big grip of the system.Companies and owner drivers seem to be at the bottom of the "food chain".

I'm not sure I agree as when I see alot of jobs being advertised it tells me that for some reason or another there is a big turnover.
I'm sure some would think it a glamorous job but when reality hits home they are out the door
inca222 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:57 am
rom my observations there are certainly less cowboys on the road these days but there are still mishaps and fires etc. I guess man will never be infallible.
I think you could be right there and for the better.

inca222
Been here for a while

Post by inca222 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:41 pm

Some good conversation here Engel. Enjoy the rest of your day . Cheers Ian
Y62 Patrol
Paramount Classic

rredbeak
Major contributor

Post by rredbeak » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:24 pm

I got mine for my job over 30 years back [pickup / deliver trucks to workshop] but my point is I got mine on 5 ton truck n when my licence was updated it said HR rigid but police said I can drive all non articulated.however it includes semi trailers WITHOUT trailer.. ive been using mine for job many years.. Now I'm retired they ask if I still required it. I said YES please, So I stay current.

I was told go get driving lessons on truck ,n , come back with truck lic. I came back with HR that I never asked for.. Rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Smokeydk
An old hand

Post by Smokeydk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:25 pm

I handed my HR licence back week before Xmas.....they insisted I keep my MR part...why as I dont see the need....but they said your old now ..you might want to have a motorhome or bus to grey nomad.....LOL
Just get out there and enjoy

My Blog .. http://smokeydk.blogspot.com.au/

dogbox
Avid poster

Post by dogbox » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 pm

Engel wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 am
inca222 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:57 am
The vehicles are much easier to drive and have oodles of creature comforts like auto trans and roadranger gear boxes, power steering, aircon and sleeper cabs with TV and microwaves etc.
Do trucks have cruise control?

With all the comforts available now I think the job is harder with the deadlines they have to meet. In addition it may be easier now to get a licence as a lot of trucks are auto and there is a ready source of new labour if a driver doesn't meet the company deadlines.
yes truck have cruise control plus every modren thing you can think of most are set at 98 kph. kenworths come out of the factory at 102 kph (gps) most european and japenese trucks are automatics or sychro boxes. road ranger (multi-range) are in very few new trucks these days but still a lot of older truck have them fitted

Return to “General Chat”