New family bunk van

Post here for discussion on model specific Caravans & Motohomes
GerryP
An old hand

Re: New family bunk van

Post by GerryP » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:32 pm

Just to update PeterD's comments above, all New Age vans with dual axles now come with a full 600kg payload straight from the factory. We bought a 18ft Manta Ray with a tare of around 2230kg (can't remember exactly), but we weighed it fully loaded at 2640, so still have some to spare. Just need to watch my GCM.
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2018 New Age Manta Ray 18'

jock
Rising star

Post by jock » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:27 am

PeterD wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:55 pm
jock wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:48 am
Sorry, Cant agree with responsers who say you will have a problem finding a van with your specs. There are quite a few on the market that have an ATM lower than 2.5t and still give you all the goodies.

New Age Manta Ray,..Concept Innovation - to name just a couple.
Jock :)
20FT Manta Ray Bunk Combo (MR20BC) - has a combo ensuite and an average tare weight of 2290-2350kg. Not only does it have a combo it does not have sufficient load allowance for a family.

Concept Innovation 705 - No weight specifications given but I doubt that that one will come in with an ATM under 2500 kg.

Jayco Journey - the 19.61-3 has a tare of 2085 kg (add 470) ATM 2555 kg. The Expandas are good family vans but their en-suites are just a little bigger than a combo, not full size.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Hmmmmn. !!!
PeterD......Appreciate what you are saying about the couple of examples I gave but, I think you are a little bit off track by quoting stats of the larger models in the ranges. Check out the 19' Manta and the 590R Innovation. Also check out the Jayco Starcraft range.

I have a 2.5t limit and have spent the last 18months 'agonising' over whether or not We should up-date our 16y.o. Windsor Rapid. As such, I have spent hours and hours on the net studying used vans on the various sites such as Caravan and camping sales, Gumtree, Facebook Market place etc. etc..... I had some constraints and requirement but narrowed my choice down to either a 19' Manta Ray or the 590R Innovation. ....with a leaning towards the latter.

During these searches, I saw quite a few vans which would suit the O.P....... I liked the Caravan and camping sales site best because it allows you to specify your requirements very comprehensively thus narrowing your options.

Jock :)

P.S. Have decided to hang on to our Rapid which is still in good nick and has many self constructed 'add-ons' and mods. which suits our camping style. Plus, we dont seem to get away quite as much as we used to.

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:00 pm

After Jock's rebuttal of my info above, I went to the Newcastle Caravan Show today. I went around quite a few dealers and put Shane's specification before them. The dealers for Concept and Manta Ray just laughed when I asked if they could satisfy Shane. Apart from the Jayco I mentioned above (which by the way has a double bed across the front of the van) I found the following.

Franklin 196 at $56.990 (no washing machine.)
Viscount V2 Family - They did not have any handouts but reckon the ATM is OK - has W/M.
Bailey Rangefinder Gemini
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

Shane Moore
I'm new, be nice!

Post by Shane Moore » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:14 pm

Hello the caravan family,thank you for all the information that you are giving me and my wife. My wife and i got some information from crusader and they said the crusader palace van that they build would go with my vehicle it would tow it. The tare weight of the van is 2150 and the atm is 2500 kg on that van. Is this what people have also found out?

JackDriver
On a roll

Post by JackDriver » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:44 am

Hi Shane, I would dismiss this caravan as it doesn't have enough payload (2500-2150=350kg) for a family on tour. I would be looking for at least 500kg payload.
Cheers, JackDriver
Jackaroo 3L T/D MY 2000
Prattline Lo-Tow MY 1993

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:23 am

I would agree with Jack. We have 450 kg load for two and that only includes 80 litres (80 kg weight) of water. Family vans carry more than 80 litres of water and you are going to need all of your capacity if you are going to do a bit of free camping.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

Collyn
Been here for a while

Post by Collyn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:39 am

Be aware that police checks find that virtually all caravanneers under-estimate their laden weight (the record to date being by 400 kg!). With the exception of Jayco one cannot trust the Declared Tare Mass of locally made caravans. This is because that Declared mass is ex factory - and does not include any of the optional extras. Even if part of the order these are almost always supplied and added by the vendor - and not included in that Tare. It is not unknown to find you have virtually zero left once water tanks are full. This is why so many are overweight on road.

This does not apply to motorhomes - they have a totally different system with a legal requirement for Personal Effects.

Collyn
The problem is not what people do not know, it is what they think they know that simply isn't true.

Tripping Away
An old hand

Post by Tripping Away » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:42 am

Shane Moore wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:14 pm
Hello the caravan family,thank you for all the information that you are giving me and my wife. My wife and i got some information from crusader and they said the crusader palace van that they build would go with my vehicle it would tow it. The tare weight of the van is 2150 and the atm is 2500 kg on that van. Is this what people have also found out?
Google the specs for this caravan, then google the legalities of towing this weight for your vehicle. Looks a nice caravan and if this is the caravan for you and the car, then you may have your caravan.

Research, research and then research, especially if you are going to tow at your maximum. Depending on towball weight, you may not be able tow this caravan.

Someone said, and I think it was someone on this forum, that people who justify their caravan purchase often use those words, "But the salesman said"

Return to “Caravans and Motorhomes (RVs)”