Burketown to Daly Waters via Highway 1

For all RV travel & touring information on Northern Territory
Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Re: Burketown to Daly Waters via Highway 1

Post by Old Techo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:05 pm

Following advice here we have decided to go from Charters Towers to Georgetown, Normanton and then across the 100 kms of dirt to Burketown. From there we will go south to Cloncurry.

Can anyone please suggest a visit duration for Burketown? I mean apart from fishing is there much to see, do or drive to?
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

jock
Rising star

Post by jock » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:57 pm

G'day O.T.

Been a while since we did that trip..... As you say..apart from the fishing, Not much to see or do at Burketown ..We camped for a weeks fishing at Escott Station - very pleasant camping but not sure if they still welcome campers.....

Going back to your planned itinery....If you haven't already been there, would suggest that you stay at the Undarra Lava tubes for a couple of days or, at least, at Mt. surprise. Nice camp spot at Cumberland Mine, a few kms West of Georgetown. And another great camp at Leichardt's lagoon about 25kms before Normanton.

Take extreme care on the narrow strip of bitumen between Normanton and Georgetown (Gulf development road) ..Also Burke and Will's last camp is along the section about 50 kms west of N'ton. Not much to do at Normanton other than a trip on the Gulflander rail motor. Karumba is worth a trip out but it will be packed with Mexican fishos..still interesting to visit though.

Lawn Hill is an absolute must to visit..would suggest that you stay at Adelles Grove at the entrance to the Park as the National Parks mob dont know what a grader is and the road in is a shocker (or used to be...more up to date info would be useful ) Also beautiful spot at the turn off from the Burketown road at Gregory Downs but, I believe, camping is no longer permitted along the river bank.

Hope the above info is of some help..When do you intend doing this section?

Jock :)

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:51 pm

Hi OT,
We had morning tea at Burketown next to the hot spring bore which is about the only thing worth looking at.

If you are not into fishing I don’t think there is much else. The day I was there I needed to use a credit card to buy fuel as the petrol station was not manned.

Could stay a night in town at the caravan park and try the pub for dinner.

JR
:razz:

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:45 am

G’day Jock,

Thanks for going to the trouble with all of those suggestions.

We covered many of them 3 years ago with a stay at Adels, Lawn hill, Normanton, Georgetown, Undarra and inspected choc-o-bloc Gregory Downs all on our trip across the Savannah to Cooktown. What we have not done is Burketown, hence the return. After Burketown we will go south to Cloncurry and then west to Barkly and north to Heartbreak Hotel.

Yes Jock, very familiar with those one-lane bitumen areas and road trains.

Will checkout some of those camping options you listed.

JR,

We carry fishing gear and do use it if any non-boat opportunities.

Regards, Old Techo

jock
Rising star

Post by jock » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:04 pm

Wot's after Cape Crawford (Heartbreak hotel) O.T. ??

If you turn right, it's worth going into Boroloola for a looksee...Used to be a fantastic free camp on the upper reaches of the river...When you get to Boroloola turn off (just past the airport) keep going for a couple of kms instead of turning left...You'll cross the river and the camp was on the far side on the right. (Great spot if it's still there..No Crocs this far up)...Past Boroloola to the North East there's a couple of good camps at King Ash Bay on the River...I think the fishing club one is the better of the two.

Happy travels,

Jock :)

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:33 pm

The fuel used to be much cheaper at Boroloola than at Cape Crawford.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:09 pm

OT,
If you go to Borroloola then try King Ash Bay you can camp on the river and fish behind your van.
Only about 20Km of dirt very good place just very popular but I have always managed to camp on the river down the non generator end.

Also on the road between Borroloola and Cape Crawford stop at Caranbirini Conservation Reserve a very interesting place. Rock formations like those lost city places but an easy one hour walk.

JR
:razz:

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:55 pm

Thanks fellas,

Borroloola was always in the plan, plus Caranbirini. They were the only reasons to go to Heartbreak.

Next question..... from Alice to Kings Canyon.... been there twice via Erldunda.... but what about via the Ernest Giles road with our bitumen caravan?

https://goo.gl/maps/4e6XfWFMdDr
Regards, Old Techo

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:37 pm

Opened new thread re Ernest Giles road.....
Regards, Old Techo

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:53 pm

We did that one with a good camping trailer about 12 years ago and it was pretty ordinary.
I would suggest you check with locals before hand; as you should.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Return to “Touring NT”