Somewhere for Easter - Vic High Country ?

For all RV travel & touring information on Victoria
Lance
Cracked the big time

Somewhere for Easter - Vic High Country ?

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:28 pm

Looking at a post from OT about his current trip through the High Country and beyond......
We haven't been able to find a smallish music festival to gatecrash for the Easter weekend so Annee mentioned a drive through the Vic High Country.
Heading out from Melb eastern side and on upwards....... :)

How crowded is it going to be up there, we don't like crowds ?
I'm not looking for anything in particular, just a few days away with the dog.......and Annee...... ;-)
Bush camping all the way in the HiAce camper.

Thoughts ?
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

Peter Aawen
On a roll

Re: Somewhere for Easter - Vic High Country ?

Post by Peter Aawen » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:45 pm

Up until a few years back I used to run 4WD Tag-a-longs & spent a lot of time in the Vic High Country..... usually avoiding it then but always with MASSIVE demand for Easter Trips up there!! And every time I finally succumbed & went that way for Easter despite knowing what I'd signed on for, I invariably swore that from then on I'd try my damnedest to NEVER go there again during the Easter Hols, cos it was just sooooo over crowded with the least likeable crowds you could imagine!!

Bush camping spots good for maybe holding 4 vehicles comfortably that would see a total of maybe 3 4WD's visiting throughout the entire rest of the year would often have 10 or more crammed in there; all the regular & well known camp-sites would be over-flowing and often have a few cars & a dozen people arguing over who got to move into a spot being vacated by someone who'd already had enough & was leaving; there were often fights over who 'owned' whichever particular bush camping spot that both parties had apparently 'been camping here for the last 20 Easters' at; and even the more hidden & remote spots on the generally accessible tracks were invariably full! And even if you had a vehicle & the skills to get yourself waaay off the beaten track into one or another of the almost inaccessible spots waaayyy down the roughest & least known tracks hidden out there, you didn't dare go at Easter time cos if you did invariably some random incompetent would try to follow you & either total themselves on the track in, or if by some fluke they actually made it in, they'd want to camp right alongside you & play their bloody awful music til dawn while they beat hammers all night on their now damaged & badly dented vehicle as they 'fixed it' while they worked hard to trash the place & leave broken glass, empty cans, & all sorts of other crap all over!! And the better known more popular places would often have hundreds of vehicles lining every track in or out; covering most of the nearby accessible river flats or open paddocks; and the tracks themselves would either be pounded into a talc fine invasive dust that never got a chance to settle because of the never ending stream of passing vehicles, or if the weather turned wet they'd be churned into a knee deep wallow of invasive & highly polluted corrosive mud from the same number of vehicles ploughing or sliding through & usually taking out everything standing within 5-10 metres of the track when they slid off!! :shock:

If you don't enjoy crowds or camping with the neighbours from hell camped all around you, I'd strongly recommend avoiding the Vic High Country during the Easter Hols and between Christmas & New Years Day, plus maybe even a week either side! :rolleyes:

Lance
Cracked the big time

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:22 am

Talked me out of it chaps ;-)

I sort of thought there may be a few quiet, accessible tracks, but I guess if I can get there so can everyone else.
My biggest pet hate when camping ?
Bluddy bikes tearing up the bush with stuff all regard for the area or anyone in it :-x

We'll find somewhere else for this trip 8-)
Lance & Anne

Neophema
Been here for a while

Post by Neophema » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:26 am

High Country + Easter Holidays = Bogan Heaven.

A must avoid at all costs for anyone like yourself who doesn't like crowds.
Our land abounds in Nature's gifts, of beauty rich & rare.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:05 am

G'day lance,

Now is the time to be here. The very nice 'Clack Clack' van park was chockers until the end of skool hols. Now it is less than 20% full. We have been here for a week and sorry to leave today.

Also on our various drives around the high country all pretty quiet everywhere. Triffik !!! :D
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:58 am

I don't like going away at Easter any more. Every where I go it seems so do the motorcycle fraternity. Drives me nuts. The don't have the decency to not ride around the camp either. Then after the rides there is constant tune ups etc. Of course the 5 year old are free to ride their motorbike freely as they consider the camp ground a safe place for the little darlings.
Definitely a good arguement for a well managed caravan park in the busy periods...... :)

Places like Paradise Valley at Heyfield in Vic are all booked for Easter and also get noisy.
I have been noised out at Walhalla, Dargo. and Big river near Eildon. All in Vic

I like camping after school holidays and after public holidays.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:56 am

Lance wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:22 am
Talked me out of it chaps ;-)

I sort of thought there may be a few quiet, accessible tracks, but I guess if I can get there so can everyone else.
My biggest pet hate when camping ?
Bluddy bikes tearing up the bush with stuff all regard for the area or anyone in it :-x

We'll find somewhere else for this trip 8-)
Lance,
I read about a place this morning called "Nug Nug"; go to Mrtyleford and then south East, I think.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Lance
Cracked the big time

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Good onya Glany, ya might've sparked the idea again.
Nug Nug looks to be a nice spot although their web page does say they get busy.
We don't take up much room and we're easily mobile if it doesn't suit us for whatever reason.
We might just head up that way on the Friday and see what it looks like.
If it's chockers we simply keep driving.
We're not really fussed where we stop.
Lance & Anne

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:47 pm

The motor bike riding is our thing but not in public areas, that's why we go to our sons block near Swan reach SA
We have 80 acres to ride on as well as take out vermin goats in the early morning before the bike riding starts
Its all over by 4 pm as the fire is going for tea (often with goat jams under the coals

As for going places, nahhhh too busy

Lance
Cracked the big time

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Your type of bike riding is not what we're talkin about here Frank ;-)
It's the hoons on the noisy/smelly dirt bikes that reckon it's their right to tear up dirt roads and through parklands and campgrounds.......just for fun.....with no consideration for others or their environ.
Some just don't give a damn........... :evil:

Anne's found a small folk session just nth of Winton so we'll head that way I think and then across to Glanys suggested Nug Nug to have a look.
Gonna be a fun weekend wherever we are
8-)

I've also had a coupla PMs of 'secret spots' we'll look at soon for future weekends away.
Thanks for those ;-)

No.........I'm not gonna tell ya where those 'secret spots' are :razz:
Lance & Anne

Return to “Touring VIC”