The great ocean road

For all RV travel & touring information on Victoria
dieseltojo
Major contributor

The great ocean road

Post by dieseltojo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:51 pm

I thought a few words about this great ride would be worth posting. Coming back from Casterton and having friends in Geelong we took that route. Our first point to call into was Warrnambool and then down to Johanna camp ground.

People often write that there are no free camps etc and this is the case I suppose. But I looked up the camp in the camps book (Latest one); phoned the government agency and booked a site for around $28-00 a night.
This place has drop toilets and is well made camp ground for vans tents etc. How long prior to getting in did I book?…….Just two hours.
Actually I needed to stop as I was getting tired and didn’t do the place justice. It needs a three day break minimum. But that folks is for next time.
But another thing I didn’t realise is how busy the great ocean road is….I mean it was late afternoon and it was absolutely tourist infested…including us. My advice is to get a camp, unhitch and do the run along the sites. You can not park with a van anywhere at all. You will get blocked in the second you try to turn in anywhere.
They park right on your bumper and you will have to wait to get out…I promise you. All the signs in Japanese and Chinese to keep left just do not work. Ask me how I know.

It is a real slow run along to Geelong, but very pretty of course. Road works are numerous at present so they are fixing up dangerous sections.

Any way this is a view of the beach at Johanna and is as pretty as any where in the world. At $28-00 a night it is a bargain. All you need is a few wines to go with it. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: The great ocean road

Post by dieseltojo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:14 am

Some thing to watch out for when booking into a strange caravan park, is that you are booking into a site unseen. You pay by credit card and they give you a permit number. then confirm it by email.

The neighbor on my right welcomed me straight off with "you can't have site 12 as I have friend due in there."... As if I was a blow-in and going to park any where. I asked if it had been booked he said it was.

I then said "why would I go onto site 12 that you booked, when 2 hours ago I booked into site 11."

I instantly got the feeling that as no one is present at Johanna , blow ins do come in for a free lunch at times, especially after hours, It would make for an unpleasant conversation if you arrived to find your paid up site occupied. That would mean the bloke on your spot had either overstayed or was pinching you site. Any way as we left the next morning a cop car did a trip through the camp. :)

Ok so I arrived at 5 pm and found the site was a tad too small to back into. I had the option to call back and select another but they were shut. So I thought no probs I will park across it as its an end of line site.
So not all sites might suite your van if it is a larger variety. just a warning to unsuspecting members. The ticketing system is great for the parks mob but you might be left on your own if there is a problem.

Any a nice clean place and easy to park. My site had half of it tree covered. I suppose I could have chucked a few koala's into it to munch it down.... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

Archer63
An old hand

Post by Archer63 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:21 am

Hmmm...definitely something to think about 👍
2018 Pajero Exceed
2013 Jayco Swan Outback

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:49 am

[
People often write that there are no free camps etc and this is the case I suppose. But I looked up the camp in the camps book (Latest one); phoned the government agency and booked a site for around $28-00 a night.

Any way this is a view of the beach at Johanna and is as pretty as any where in the world. At $28-00 a night it is a bargain. All you need is a few wines to go with it. :)
[/quote]

Free camp? what free camp? $28 for drop toilets is bloody expensive!
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Neophema
Been here for a while

Post by Neophema » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:56 am

Probably spent 5-6 months in total camped at many locations along the GOR over 40+ years. Too many tourists these days though.

This place is still a hidden gem though, a relaxing spot away from the masses.

https://www.princetownrecreationreserve ... -Fees.html
Our land abounds in Nature's gifts, of beauty rich & rare.

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:02 pm

We did the trip last year and it was as crowded as can be. We were lucky not to cop some nasty selfie stick injuries as the crowd elbowed each other for the perfect shot. Some of the less visited gorges were lovely. The high point for me was the scallop pies they sell down there. I put on about three kilos.
Keith

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:33 pm

glanyard wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:49 am
[

Free camp? what free camp? $28 for drop toilets is bloody expensive!
glanyard
[/quote]

Glanyard Please feel free to read into my statement what you will. :) I mean how could it be free when I stated it cost $28-00 a night?

I didn't say it was a free camp....What I mean is that there is little available on that part of Vic on the coast that is free.. But that spot compares very favorably with Parks I visited coming down the coast road in NSW to Vic.

The caravan parks in that area actively campaign for no more pares to be built and charge substantially more.

I am not crying about that cost I paid. You see I had just spent around 7 days free camping. One paid camp is simply the cost of convenience to me. :)
1929 Pop Top

Return to “Touring VIC”