Macadamia Castle - Knockrow....where to stay ?

Chat to fellow Rvers about general topics
Archer63
An old hand

Macadamia Castle - Knockrow....where to stay ?

Post by Archer63 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi All,

Wife and I are thinking of heading down to visit the above....after school holidays finish of course....but where to stay ?
Lennox Head seems to be the most logical (van parks only please)....or Ballina.....or Byron Bay...anyone got recommendations ?
Possibly iterested in a bit of fishing close by to van park as well.

Cheers
Rob
2018 Pajero Exceed
2013 Jayco Swan Outback

glanyard
Rising star

Re: Macadamia Castle - Knockrow....where to stay ?

Post by glanyard » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:07 pm

Can we talk about Peter D dogs' crooked hind legs instead of us giving you accommodation suggestions? :lol:
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:13 pm

Hi Rob,
we used the Lakeside Caravan Park for years as a family destination. https://www.discoveryparks.com.au/carav ... llina/info

Surf is a bit of a walk, and you have the lake (Shaws Bay) wiich is cut off from the river by the rock wall, but is tidal.

Then a bit of a stroll, bike ride or drive there is the sandy reaches of the Richmond River.

We went there for our Shake Down Run and got a discount by booking on line.

Don't be fooled by the "Dogs Allowed"

Must be under 10KG and can't be walked in the park or on council land, so either carry or drive the hound out.

Closer to the river and town is https://reflectionsholidayparks.com.au/park/shaws-bay/ but have not stayed there but it is quite popular.

Regards
Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:16 pm

glanyard wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:07 pm
Can we talk about Peter D dogs' crooked hind legs instead of us giving you accommodation suggestions? :lol:
glanyard
Come on Glanny, at least wait until page 3!!!!!!!!!
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:08 pm

Archer63 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:01 pm
Wife and I are thinking of heading down to visit the above....after school holidays finish of course....but where to stay ?
Lennox Head seems to be the most logical (van parks only please)....or Ballina.....or Byron Bay...anyone got recommendations ?
Possibly interested in a bit of fishing close by to van park as well.
You are coming from the north, are you? If you are, then stop a little short of the castle at Brunswick Heads with the van. You are on the river and very close to the beach. I have stopped in each of the three parks and they are all OK when the crowds have thinned out a bit. There was good fishing there a few years ago. However be warned, they have higher fees on Friday and Saturday nights.

I would suggest not towing a van through Byron Bay when you can get to other parks around. The traffic can get a bit hectic through there at any time.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

Archer63
An old hand

Post by Archer63 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:35 am

Thanks Gerry & Peter...very helpful info 👍

G....not quite what I was hoping for....but I get it 🤡

Did think about Brunswick Heads....will check it out. As for dogs...as we have still have two to leave the nest (👹) it is easier to leave the mutt at home as we almost expect that dog friendly parks won’t welcome large dogs anyway.

Certainly will be a Monday to Friday trip so hopefully we should avoid the crowds.

Cheers
Rob
2018 Pajero Exceed
2013 Jayco Swan Outback

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:23 pm

Hey Rob,
We stayed at Glen Villa Resort Byron Bay, site G for George, back in September. Nice big grassed site with power at back of park. You could park your car on either side of your van and still have room to spare on this site so no close neighbors to annoy you. Walk into town & beaches from there is easy and very handy to grog shop and supermarkets etc. Great place for restaurants, cafes and general walking/sightseeing and shopping and there is an excellent market there on Saturdays, wife will love it.

Agree with Peter D – once you get over that railway line in Byron you are trapped and traffic is BS. Luckily the turn off for the Glen Villa Resort is at the round-a-bout just prior to the railway line so all good.

My wife likes to go to every tourist attraction there is when in an area and the Macadamia Castle was one of them. When we asked a couple of tour operator type people about it they both said “don’t bother you will be disappointed” so we didn’t. Far better to spend your afternoon at the Stone & Wood brewery sipping as many pacific ales as you can like I did.

Cheers - Allan
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

Archer63
An old hand

Post by Archer63 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:05 am

More helpful info....thanks Allan 👍
2018 Pajero Exceed
2013 Jayco Swan Outback

Return to “Travel Chat”