Broken Hill to Innamincka

For all RV travel & touring information on New South Wales
Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Broken Hill to Innamincka

Post by Old Techo » Thu May 30, 2019 9:46 am

G'day All,

I am wondering about taking our bitumen-only van on this journey.

This is the same van that we did the Birdsville Track, the Oodnadatta Track and last year from Borroloola to Burketown. I approached all of the preceding challenges with the same level of care and patience that a bitumen van needs.

All advice appreciated on this road. Hopefully it is a relative breeze :)

Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: Broken Hill to Innamincka

Post by dieseltojo » Thu May 30, 2019 10:40 am

We did it a few years ago OT but it was dry. We also took in a few out of the way places and lots of dirt tracks with no problems.

Trudi made diary notes that I will have to consult, but in the dry it was not a problem.

The first pic is at a bit of a farm dam which we had to pick a route to get around as we were driving along a disused cattle trail. the secon is typical of rod out that way. All we did in the way of expertise was take it easy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:23 am

Thank you DT :D

Hoping for others that have done that run :)
Regards, Old Techo

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:31 pm

This will probably not be of much help OT as we really took the hard way in to Innamincka.

Going up we stay at Mildura at a free camp; the old pump station. Not easy to get into if they have heavy rain. Then onto Broken hill and Silverton.
Silverton has an old Zinc mine that takes a tour down on foot. Helmets, lights, etc. a worthy escapade it is too.

Then we went off road so no help to you there, we went through stations at Mundi Mundi,and Mulga Valley. Kantappa area and Barrier range, Camp Eden..... Cattle trails to Lower pastures. Problem with tracing old cattle trails is the changes made by stations with fencing and locked gates...as we found out. :)

On one station there was a lady that was looking after a huge property and we were lucky enough to find her in a remote corner filling a sheep trough. This was still 1000 klm from Innamincka but she happily told us her aboriginal sister in law "Bill" worked at the Innamincka store, and for us to say hello for her; which we later did..... :)

We got to Cameron Corner through Moorabie Station, and followed the dog track. We camped a100 klm from the corner at Hewart Downs. Trudi wrote "Lovely country, trees, shrubs, lightly grassed, red soil, low dunes.
cameron Corner , Frome Swamp, Fromes Creek, Fort Grey Homestead.

On to Bore track and Bollards Lagoon, We paid a required levy at the homestead which they request to help look after the track as it on their land and they have to maintain it. It is closed now as many 4x4s didn't bother to pay the miserable $5-00 per vehicle.

From the bore track we went to Innamincka.
As I said it was our desired rout and we were to vans doing some exploring. this is a short summary with out going into details but it is not the road well traveled. So mostly irrelevant to your purposes. so just for general interest.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:33 pm

Last call :!: :!:

Seems odd that with so many members here that only DT has travelled this road :o

DT, you are probably right that you are not much help re roads but I found your post quite interesting and thank you for it :D

We have been to Silverton twice but I don't recollect that mine. Will check next visit :)
Regards, Old Techo

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:24 pm

Been there, done it...... but seeing it was 12 years ago I didn't think it'd be terribly useful (even if I could remember what it was like myself :confused: ) :D
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2018 New Age Manta Ray 18'

loub
An old hand

Post by loub » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:44 pm

Me too OT but too long ago to be relavant for road conditions but from memory no worse than the road to birdsviile where you went last year
BT50 2013 Auto 3.2 Diesel
21 Golf Linwood

Return to “Touring NSW”