Is Youcamp just a cash grab?

jessdogster
Cracked the big time

Is Youcamp just a cash grab?

Post by jessdogster » Fri May 31, 2019 8:18 pm

I've been watching property owners jumping on the Youcamp band wagon.

https://youcamp.com/host-home/

To me, it looks like a cash grab by some property owners.
$11.00 per person per site for no facilities (water/power/Toilet) + take your rubbish with you or pay for firewood, is a bit rich I think.
That makes $22.00 for a couple, more for a family for no real benefit other thn somewhere to park. :o
The Youcamp business model requires 10% of the site fee to be paid to them.
There are some nice properties but one here is parking your van in someones driveway/yard in suburbia.
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong and its the price to pay to access a riverbank/bushland which otherwise may not be available.

Jay&dee
Cracked the big time

Re: Is Youcamp just a cash grab?

Post by Jay&dee » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:48 am

G'day P.I. DogJester,

I sort of agree with your view point.
$11 per van to me is acceptable. As you know we just love the ability to bush camp and enjoy the beautiful surrounds.
However we are heading up to Woodgate C.Park for a couple of weeks. Woodgate is on the coast to the south of Bundaberg in Qld.( for those who do not know )
I guess as the C.Park are able to convince the Local Governments that they are being robbed by us because we chose to bush camp, that these sort of sites will benefit.
My view will always be let the market forces decide and for the C.Parks to change their business model.
DJ, we would love to revisit your beautiful island again, but unfortunately the cost is a deterrant.
Happy days P.I. ( You know what the P.I stands for)

Jay&Dee

jessdogster
Cracked the big time

Post by jessdogster » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:24 am

G’day J&D
I agree with $11 per site but they are advertising $11 per person :cry:

You raise a good point - it will be interesting to see the action of the caravan parks towards Youcamp.

In this state, the Economic Regulator dictated that councils should undertake competitive neutrality in respect of offering free camping this was at the behest of the CP owner/operators. This has meant that some free(dom) camp areas were closed down to the detriment of some local struggling economies.

I see where one of the nearby Youcamp sites is closed whilst gaining council approval - I wonder at whose insistence, but will not be surprised.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future as I’m not so sure that CPs want to change their business models.

Enjoy your Woodgate trip
Cheers
Jdog

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:44 am

I reckon its all relative to where you want to stay. I mean if the van parks are offering $70-00 per night it is ok at 22 for a night o get you out of trouble. I deliberately plan for my stays well ahead and have never had a problem.
I like show grounds in quiet towns and pubs that offer a paddock next door for free as long as you buy a meal.

Gets harder in built up areas of course.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Neophema
Been here for a while

Post by Neophema » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:52 pm

We tried to book a campsite through YOUCAMP twice & never heard back from the property owners.

Gave it away as a dead loss & never bothered again.

there's a lot of bush out there. ;-)
Our land abounds in Nature's gifts, of beauty rich & rare.

Jay&dee
Cracked the big time

Post by Jay&dee » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:29 pm

JDog,
I have read on this forum about the free camps v C/Park issues that you have in Tassie, hence it adds to our not visiting your State.
Bloody shame.
Plus my view is that the C.Parks leave a lot to be desired. I think the best we stayed at was at Norfolk, if I have the town right. It was about less than an hour out of Hobart.
Jay&Dee

gregnsue
Avid poster

Post by gregnsue » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:39 pm

I have used Youcamp twice a few years ago. It was OK but then their site went crazy. Search for places to camp near gown A and and the search results gave me places 600 - 1000kms away

Gave up on them after that
gregnsue

Motherhen
Cracked the big time

Post by Motherhen » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:40 pm

Youcamp is a business venture, so expect prices to be higher than if you went to a private camp direct. On a private property advertising totally unserviced riverside camping here in the south west of Western Australia, which sounds like a lovely location, are charging "from $15 per person per night" via Youcamp.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Return to “Free-Camping - Freedom of Choice”