Free camping guide

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Re: Free camping guide

Post by Frank & Brenda » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:54 am

Yes I've been looking around but the price seems to be the same everywhere

The new edition usually comes out around March so I'll wait a little longer of they don't come down till too late I'll just get #10

jock
Rising star

Post by jock » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:03 am

That Manilla freebie sounds good but I didn't see any mention of toilets.

Jock :?:

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:22 am

Jeff,
If the update service is a marketing ploy, it is a good one and in our favour too.
By memory, I think you'll get 4 years worth.
Things do change; during our trip this year we noticed a lot of places in WA have had updates, so it would be same everywhere.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:12 am

diesel wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:24 am
Lance & Glanyard, thanks for the info re updates - I was unaware that it could be done.
Do things change all that much between versions or is it just a marketing ploy?

Jeff
Changes are common with the status of most free camp areas.
Amenities can be added, removed, improved, downgraded or in some cases the site is closed......

The publishers do lots of travel to check the sites listed but they do ask that we contact them if we ever spot something that needs correction or updating for future issues.
The info they get from the traveling public is verified then added to the update pages we've linked you to.
I guess in a way it is a marketing ploy to keep us involved, but that's to our advantage ;-)
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:18 pm

I must say that while I used to use CAW in the years gone by, I found having to continuously update from on-line rather tedious and time consuming. I think I had 3 editions up to and including 6. That's when I started using (and contributing to) WikiCamps. So far it's been pretty accurate, but I do agree that you need to filter some of the comments to get to the truth.

I also have the CMCA GeoWiki as well which, as a member, I find useful for finding the Dollar wise and other low cost sites.

Not knocking CAW by the way, it's a great publication, it's just that I find on-line more convenient these days.
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2018 New Age Manta Ray 18'

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:27 pm

GerryP wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:18 pm
I must say that while I used to use CAW in the years gone by, I found having to continuously update from on-line rather tedious and time consuming. I think I had 3 editions up to and including 6. That's when I started using (and contributing to) WikiCamps. So far it's been pretty accurate, but I do agree that you need to filter some of the comments to get to the truth.
I'm with you there. I got the Camps 3 book when the Proctors were the publishers and thought they are on to a good thing there.
I was later given as a present the spiral bound Camps 6 and started to use that but technology took over and now I use Wikicamps and the Camps 6 for the maps.

With all reviews you need to look at many to get an idea of what it is like. One CP I went to had a number of good reviews. I left my review that is was below the standard price wise because of xyz. Well then the CP owner registered under their own name and abused me so the good reviews were obviously left by them. Since then I have watched this CP reviews and they have had heaps of negative reviews soon followed by the CP owner abusing them. Camps can only list the sites and amenities but not make any judgments as they will never be let back again whereas on Wikicamps you can leave reviews be they good or bad.

There was a court case a while back where one of the accommodation establishments were filtering comments and only allowing good comments to be listed. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-31/ ... s/10055618

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:54 pm

I get the feeling you are talking about two publications there; CAW and Caravan Parks.
Nobody would be silly enough to publish negative reviews about their own park.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:03 pm

I think Engel is talking about Wikicamps concerning the negative comments and follow up (suspect) positive comments. I have heard and read reports of this happening on many occasions.

Same thing happens with hotel/motels, restaurants and I guess various other businesses.
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:33 pm

Lance wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:03 pm
I think Engel is talking about Wikicamps concerning the negative comments and follow up (suspect) positive comments. I have heard and read reports of this happening on many occasions.

Same thing happens with hotel/motels, restaurants and I guess various other businesses.
Yes you are correct Wikicamps vs CAW.

In addition to the above there was a small boating mag who used to publish reports on boats and they published negative report on one boat and from then on no more boats to test from that company.
You never see any negative reports on cars for the same reason.
Wikicamps is open to anyone who wants to report and it is virtually an honesty system.

Return to “Free-Camping - Freedom of Choice”