Is It Ok??

onawhim
Getting the hang of it

Is It Ok??

Post by onawhim » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:10 pm

so we are planning to do some free camping on our big trip and have one major question :)

with some of the places that we intend to stay that are like rest areas that you can stay overnight and as we have a camper trailer tent that isn't fully self supporting and needs guy wires, are we able to use them if we tuck ourselves out of the way from other campers and we use those solar mushroom lights where the ropes are?

thanks
H
Honda CRV, Camper Trailer Tent.
Making plans to go to Darwin September/October 2012 with the family and the old's are tagging along

Motherhen
Cracked the big time

Re: Is It Ok??

Post by Motherhen » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi H

I have not seen this done in overnight rest areas - but if it leaves no obvious damage to the ground and you are out of sight of the road and others, i don't see any objection. You would need to know that the 24 rest area you have selected has this option - many are close to the road with no screening, and everyone packed in closely together (the ones we drive past). Some are bitumised strips of road so would be unsuitable also.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:35 pm

G'day,
wit tese areas it's first in first served, so get in set up and take the room you need to set up, I mean if you ad a large motorome and got there first would anyone say that you are takingb up too much room.
As long as you don't go overboard with were you place te rope, you'll have no problem, I'd just put some rags or flags of some sort on the ropes and wouldn't worry about ligths, there wont be too many people walking around at night.
Frank

mikehannon
Been here for a while

Post by mikehannon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:38 am

Speaking of taking up too much room!!!!

We were in the free camp spot of Ellenborough and saw a happy camper that had taken a prime position. Next to his pop top was the toilet tent. Next to the toilet tent was an enclosed wire fence for the yappy dog. Next to the fence was a gazebo. Next to the gazebo was his ute. He had effectively taken up 5 spaces. He was also placed next to the picnic table and he had taken that over as well!

His old & noisy generator ran on and off, all the time and well into the evening. He also had a cut down 44 gallon drum he burnt a smokey fire all day and night. Yep.....the fire was placed so the smoke cleared his site(s) but blew downwind to the other campers.

You might ask where he got the wood for the fire. Every 4 hours he took the beat up ute into the forest and for the next 1/2 hour all you could hear was his chainsaw!!!

onawhim
Getting the hang of it

Post by onawhim » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:10 am

Thanks for the info :)
seeing that we will also have my parents set next/near to us as well i don't plan taking up to much room.
We are double checking how many guy wires we need to hold it up( going camping for easter), my thoughts are no more than 3 should do the trick.
Honda CRV, Camper Trailer Tent.
Making plans to go to Darwin September/October 2012 with the family and the old's are tagging along

Return to “Free Camping Chat”