What are your favourite beach free-camp sites?

LeanneTomkins
Ex-staff

What are your favourite beach free-camp sites?

Post by LeanneTomkins » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi everyone,

For those that don't know, I'm the production editor for Caravan & Motorhome On Tour.

I'm writing an article on Australia's best free-camping spots by the beach and would like your input!

Can anyone tell me where their favourite beach free-camp sites are? And what makes them so good?

Cheers,
Leanne Tomkins

C&M Production Editor
editorial@candm.com.au

Tony48
An old hand

Re: What are your favourite beach free-camp sites?

Post by Tony48 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi Leanne,
Can't contribute at this time, but can make an observation.
Probably what makes a lot of the spots great, is the fact that not many people know about them.
Now, if they tell you, you'll tell the world. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, PS;
Great to see the effort being put in by all at the mag to interact with "us", and look to include "us" with improvements to the product.
If we compare the first few Rob & Marg dvds and the last few, the changes are obvious. The next lot of DVDs look to be very interesting.

Thanks.
Comments made by me (Tony) are not necessarily those of the Management (Lorraine).
Tony & Lorraine
2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 turbo diesel. Chip & exhaust.
2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:55 pm

Hi Leanne,
Not sure if I should show you this place as I want it all to myself.
It’s not free but at $70/wk who’s complaining, you are not permitted to camp there unless you have your own toilet. There is a dump point about a mile behind the beach and there is a water tank back on the hill, not drinking water but still OK for everything else.

Spangled emperor and squid are the main fish inside the reef, and swimming is good regardless of the tide.

Waroorra Station WA on the Ningaloo Reef
Camp on the beach (Warroora).jpg
Ningaloo reef.jpg
Can get busy.jpg
JR
:razz:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ross & Lynne Graham
On a roll

Post by Ross & Lynne Graham » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi Leanne,
Inskip Point near Rainbow Beach in Qld and Quobba Point in WA would be my two favourites that come to mind. Not free but only about $5- a night. I'll watch this one with interest.
Thanks Ross.

BrettAltea
Avid poster

Post by BrettAltea » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:03 pm

I like Johanna Beach in Vic as it is free, just behind the sand dunes and you can take dogs. Aire River, in the Otways as well, is supposed to be even better but you can't take dogs so I haven't been there. Refer to OzCamps for further info.
OzCamps designer and camping junkie
Want a different look to the forum? Check out my post on Change forum look with FireFox plugin

Titch
Been here for a while

Post by Titch » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:16 pm

[quote="Tony48"]Hi Leanne,
Can't contribute at this time, but can make an observation.
Probably what makes a lot of the spots great, is the fact that not many people know about them.
Now, if they tell you, you'll tell the world. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with this comment totally.
Too many camps sites are published, too many camps sites are trashed.
people troll the internet ,then freeload, dumping garbage etc.
Post a site here and everyone from the WWW will be able to mark it down.
We all have heard of sites being camped out for days at a time.
Keep the sites for trusted Friends.
Just my thought.
Titch

Gemini&Leo
Been here for a while

Post by Gemini&Leo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:02 am

Perlubie Beach just 25kms from Streaky Bay in SA. Clean flushing toilets (not long-drops) and you can drive along the beach to the next little settlement. A smallish camp area but would comfortably fit 12-15 vans in a semi-circular area.
Absolutely the most beautiful place!! We loved it and WILL return again!
Gemini&Leo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LeanneTomkins
Ex-staff

Post by LeanneTomkins » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for responding! The sites so far look and sound great!

It's good to hear about the details, such as facilities and places where we can take dogs. Cheap (as opposed to free) camping places are good too, as many of us are trying to save money on the way where we can, and these sites are more often that not incredibly beautiful.

As a dedicated beach camper myself I understand the feeling that you get when you have a special spot all to yourself. You certainly don't want it overrun with people.

But what I've found is that most free campers out there are looking for the same thing you are - that elusive "perfect spot" to get away from it all. And most people will treat those sites and the other campers in them with respect becauce they're there for the same reasons.

It's this kind of attitude - living the dream and sharing it with others looking to do the same - that we like to foster in Caravan & Motorhome :-) So thanks for sharing! I look to forward to hearing about more.
Leanne Tomkins

C&M Production Editor
editorial@candm.com.au

LeanneTomkins
Ex-staff

Post by LeanneTomkins » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:19 pm

Tony48 wrote:Hi Leanne,
Sorry, PS;
Great to see the effort being put in by all at the mag to interact with "us", and look to include "us" with improvements to the product.
If we compare the first few Rob & Marg dvds and the last few, the changes are obvious. The next lot of DVDs look to be very interesting.

Thanks.
Thanks for that Tony! We're working hard to make sure the mag deals with the issues you guys are interested in, so it's only natural that we come to source - you! (even if you won't share with the group lol ;-) )
Leanne Tomkins

C&M Production Editor
editorial@candm.com.au

LeanneTomkins
Ex-staff

Post by LeanneTomkins » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:20 pm

J.REEVES wrote:Hi Leanne,
Not sure if I should show you this place as I want it all to myself.
It’s not free but at $70/wk who’s complaining, you are not permitted to camp there unless you have your own toilet. There is a dump point about a mile behind the beach and there is a water tank back on the hill, not drinking water but still OK for everything else.

Spangled emperor and squid are the main fish inside the reef, and swimming is good regardless of the tide.
JR
:razz:
Wow JR that is stunning! Wish I was there.
Leanne Tomkins

C&M Production Editor
editorial@candm.com.au

Return to “Free Camping Chat”