View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Simplicity indepentant suspension 

Post Simplicity indepentant suspension
Hi,
Could i please have some feedback on Simplicity indepentant Suspenion, we are about to go on the road fulltime for some years before we do we will purchase a other van looking for all the things would need i'm not sure about simplicity suspenion and what advantage it would be.

Thank You

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:32 am

Post Re: Simplicity indepentant suspension
Hi Carra,
I cannot comment about simplicity suspension as I have never owned that type of suspension, but if you intend to travel on rough gravel roads the softer the suspension the better.

It would be interesting to here if simplicity has a soft ride, it looks like it has plenty of travel but it does look like it would ride hard but again someone else may confirm. Many off road vans use it!

The problem is to move to the next level, coils, rubber independent or air would be much more pricey.

JR
:razz:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:08 pm

Simplicity are extremely popular, but I feel this is due to their price being lower than other systems independent systems. Thay are however load sharing.
I don't know any engineers (self included) that would seriously contemplate fitting a leading arm suspension.
ozjohn.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:52 pm

G'day JR,

My cousin's van is the same as mine 'cept he has simplicity and I have cart springs (semi-elliptics). I also do the maint on his van. The simplicity springing is just another cart spring but mounted upside down. A single semi-elliptic with a stub axle on each end (in terms of the springing). I reckon it should have similar characteristics as my van. I think its sole claim to fame is that it is independent. This won't make the spring any softer or harder than a cart spring. I have towed this van but not over rough conditions so I cannot honestly report. The design tells me it ain't no different to my cart springs for compliance, but it is independent thus not transmitting bumps along the axle. Mind you, I've never been convinced that independents on a caravan are of much benefit for the average punter.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:01 pm
xxxxx

Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:24 pm

Our Lotus Trooper has a 3000kg rated Simplicity Suspension, and towing over rough tracks ect is a dream, very smooth ride and dosen,t shake the guts out of the van or tow vehicle, out of the 4 vans we have had this type of suspension is a winner. there are more expensive suspension setups around but we are more than happy with what we have.

:lol: :lol: Cheers :lol: :lol:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:32 pm

G'day Diesel,

Trailing arms, coils and shocks. Now there is a proper suspension.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:50 pm
xxxxx

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:06 pm

Our last van - 2004 Galaxy Series III - had the same suspension Diesel. I would have liked it in dual axle format for our new van but weight and cost (another $2k over the Simplicity) were the deciding factors. The next step-up option was airbag supension at $10k!
The G & S suspension was bullet proof and we never had an issue. Would not hesitate having t again on any future van.

That said, we are now towing a van 6 foot longer with dual axles and simplicity suspension over the same rough terrain and am more than happy. Only complaint is the lick of paint that the factory gave the suspension and have had to re-coat after 12 months.

regards

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:46 pm

I may get a bit of a roasting from simplicity suspension owners here but only five months ago I was camping at Daly Waters and the van next to me was a Lotus off road caravan, very big very high black checker plate looked good and had a simplicity suspension. The owner advised me that he had just spent a lot of money in the Alice having the brakes completely replaced and the fridge and washing machine was no longer working.

He was using his portable fridge as the van fridge had fractured a pipe and the refrigerant had leaked out.

He had just travelled the Plenty Highway and since then no fridge no washing machine and no brakes until Alice, the electro magnets had flogged out and wrecked the brakes.

He probably was going to fast but what is going on in a caravan is hard to gauge unless you get in there when it is travelling on a rough road and that is not allowed anyway, so the only time you know something is wrong is when it breaks.

I personally notice a good soft controlled van suspension is when you step into a van it may move down a bit and may rock a bit but the van with a hard suspension does not move and I am not light.
Another indicator is when things have moved in the cupboards, I personally use the toilet roll as an indicator, if it has unrolled it’s been rough.

The photo below is another very good suspension, the Withers Sugar Glider air suspension more common in coil spring configuration, note double Koni shocks and proximity switches to set height via LEDs on a control station.

I think originally C&S Chassis copied Neville Withers design to make their coil spring independent suspension.

JR
:razz:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next