View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 battery charger settings 

Post battery charger settings
Hopefully some of you might be able tell me what is right for my set up. I have 3 ac delco HCM27SMF batteries fitted and charged by a Electro BC1230 30amp charger. I understand that these are calcium batteries but the charger is set on gel by the caravan makers and float charges at 13.2 volts the lowest setting. On the batteries it says MAXIMUM RECHARGE VOLTAGE 14.7. The charger has GEL, AGM, WET, CALCIUM settings. Today I set it on CALCIUM and the voltage charging went up to over 15 volts. Does this sound right for these batteries and then let them float at 13.5 or is the charging voltage too high. The float settings are 13.2, 13.5 and 13.8. The system is also linked up to solar through a Prostar 30 regulator which is set on SEALED. Has anybody got any thoughts on this I have tried to find information on the internet but it's not so easy. Tonight I also noticed the regulator alternately flashing between green(full) and red(empty). Looked that one up which said something about high voltage disconect which i'm hoping isn,t a problem and just the regulator shutting down until batteries are used a little and the voltage drops slightly. Again any ideas or am I wrong in the thinking.

Thanks for any help.
Rumbo

Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:00 pm

Post Re: battery charger settings
Hi Rumbo, the setting on all battery chargers are based on the MAXIMUM voltage different battery types can be charged at safely.

What most people don’t realise is that these setting are just that, the MAXIMUM but all batteries can be charged at lower voltages, it just takes longer to fully charge them and it’s only marginally longer, not hours and ours longer.

While Calcium/Calcium ( Ca/Ca ) need a much higher voltage to FULLY charge, even with a low charge voltage they will charge upwards of 95 to 97% and even if they are NEVER fully charged, this will not effect their operation or their life span.

Point being, Rumbo you can set your charger for the lowest setting and while it may take a little long to charge some batteries, but you remove the risk of over voltage charging damaging any battery you connect the charger to.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:02 am
Profile WWW

Hi Borowny, sorry mate but it does not work that way.

If one battery is lower that the other, the bulk of the charge ( if not all of it if the battery is very low ) will be drawn by the lower battery and the two ( or more ) batteries will eventually be charged at the same level until they are all fully charged.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:41 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the replies. I think I will leave it set on gell and float them on 13.5. I disconected the power on the solar regulator then reconected and it reset itself and working normally. Thanks again.

Rumbo.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:57 pm

http://www.acdelco.com.au/batteries_smf.html
click the cataloge guide link to the pdf

going with drivesafe on this one, prostar on sealed, leave the charger on gel or agm (wet & calcium are a higher setting that exceeds the info label on the product) pg 15 shows how they should be wired and suggests a charging method (but cross out the 16volts & go with the 14.7volts). float on 13.8volts is ok too
wired as shown they should 'self-balance' during cycles. that designation is not recommended for any car, i would be guessing here that there is a deep cycle label on the battery somewhere too warrenty is only 6 months!!!!

Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]