View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Repairs To Trail-A-Mate 

Post Repairs To Trail-A-Mate
I have an 18 month old Trail A Mate that has just cashed in its chips.
Whilst away for a month it failed to jack up, nothing happens when I pump the handle (or better still it jacked up on jacking up).
I rang the distributer in S.A. and they advised me the only repairers in NSW are at Orange and Tweed Heads, no one in Sydney(?).
Has anyone had repairs done in Sydney or obtained a kit and carried out the repair themselves?
It can't be that involved.
It would cost a motza to send it to either of those places, they weigh .....well very heavy!
Regards
Keith.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:16 pm

Post Re: Repairs To Trail-A-Mate
Hi Keith,
I am not an expert. But have a look at the screw valve and make sure that it is sealing when you screw it in.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:08 pm

Keith wrote:
I have an 18 month old Trail A Mate that has just cashed in its chips.
Whilst away for a month it failed to jack up, nothing happens when I pump the handle (or better still it jacked up on jacking up).
I rang the distributer in S.A. and they advised me the only repairers in NSW are at Orange and Tweed Heads, no one in Sydney(?).
Has anyone had repairs done in Sydney or obtained a kit and carried out the repair themselves?
It can't be that involved.
It would cost a motza to send it to either of those places, they weigh .....well very heavy!
Regards
Keith.

Hi Keith
I have repaired a Trail A Mate jack and got the seals etc plus a DVD on how to go about the job from SA. They were very helpful. The jacks are not made here in Australia like they used to be so there my be a problem there.
The other alternative is to disassemble the jack and get the seals from a hydraulics place.

Chris

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Cyclone-it appears to seal is OK because I can lift the jack up and it will hold and release and stop by using the release valve but will not pump.

Chris, that sounds like what I want to do. I will contact them again and get them to send a kit and DVD if possible.
Does the kit consist of just "O" rings or are there springs and things as well?
Thanks
Keith.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:36 pm

Keith wrote:
Cyclone-it appears to seal is OK because I can lift the jack up and it will hold and release and stop by using the release valve but will not pump.

Chris, that sounds like what I want to do. I will contact them again and get them to send a kit and DVD if possible.
Does the kit consist of just "O" rings or are there springs and things as well?
Thanks
Keith.

Keith
The kit that I received just had "O" rings in it. It is the basic kit which seems to be all that is required to fix the jack. Mine leaked after a mishap between Winton and Longreach. I leave the jack in the bracket on the A frame and put a bungy cord on the base plate to stop it from dropping down. I forgot the cord and the jack slowly lowered itself down and consequently bent the shaft and of course damaged the seals after coming in contact with the road. I still leave the jack in the same place but leave the cord hanging on the jack so it cant be missed.
Chris

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:43 pm

Have you checked for air in the system and how's the fluid level? Male sure there is plenty of fluid in it. The fluid should be around 20 - 25 mm from the top of the reservoir. With the plug removed or released enough for air to get into the reservoir, pump the jack for a while and see if you can get it to operate. When and if the jack starts to work properly tighten up the plug.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Repaired a Trail-A-Mate about 18 months ago. Received a kit from Seatra containing all seals and a DVD. Following the DVD was not difficult as it gave step by step instructions. Cost about $30 plus hydraulic oil.
Seatra International Pty Ltd,
233 Shepherds Hill Road, Eden Hills, SA, 5050,
Ph (08) 8278 5107 or email seatra@iweb.net.au. ..

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:53 pm

PeterD-Thanks for that, yes i have tried the bleed procedure in the instructions but I still can't get any pressure. I have checked fluid level and it is about 20mm or so from the top.

Thanks for the advice on the repair kit, I was at the Coromal Dealer of the Year showroom today and they had the kits there so I picked one up immediately, complete with the DVD so I guess all things going well all should soon be OK.

Thanks folks for the help I must say the distributor in South Australia could have been a bit more help, but the product is great.

Regards. Keith.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]