View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Setting up 12v system 

Post Setting up 12v system
Hi All,

After some info on getting my van set up for 12v power supply. I have a 96 17'6 Jayco Westport pop top van and i'd like to do more free camping only problem is power, it does not have a battery system that would allow me to camp for say a week at a time somewhere.

Before i start ringing and getting absolutly confused by dealers, does anyone have a ball park figure to set up a van with a battery system so that i'm not relying on the car for lighting and i can run other appliances. At this stage i only want to get cost on re wiring, battery, charger etc. Eventually i'll get solar panels but one step at a time. I live in Adelaide and there is a company called HOME of 12V, has anyone dealt with them?

Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Post Re: Setting up 12v system
The ball park figures will depend on what quality you want.

Cheap -
100 amp flooded/vented Battery $150.
7 amp dumb charger $50.
Wires/plugs/fuse block etc $50.

Expensive -
100 amp AGM VRLA battery $300.
7 amp smart charger $200.
Wires/plugs/fuse block etc $100.

and anywhere in-between.

The amount of reserve that you will need will depend on exactly what you want to run, what appliances?
The size of the charger needs to match the battery(s). The bigger the battery bank, the bigger the charger. Same applies for off the grid solar.
The size of the wiring and associated components will also come into play as the system grows. Better to over size it now in anticipation of adding to the system later.

In ball park terms, if you were to fit an an average 12v system with solar, and get it fitted professionally, it would set you back 2 or 3 grand.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi Bobster,

Are you able to do the system yourself.

If so I would recommend that you get a book by Colin Rivers on Caravan & Motorhome electrics : http://www.caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/books/index.htm

You would also have to consider a battery charging system from your tow vehicle alternator to help keep the van battery charged whilst on the move.

If your van still has one of Jayco's centurion power supplies you would need to change this as whilst they will charge a battery , it is only a trickle charge and not sufficient to properly charge a battery.

Tug : Nissan patrol 2006 4.2 tdti with mods,

Van: Concept ascot S9 23' ensuite with single beds, simplicity suspension & solar.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Thanks for your replies this is exactly what i was after it gives me a peg in the ground to work with, much appreciated.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]